• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GTX TITAN Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That points pretty nicely to how amazingly overpriced the compute cards are I think :D

That points pretty nicely to how amazingly overpriced the compute cards are I think :D

I agree with that. hehe. these days, you can get a computer, a nice one, at the price of a Titan. lol. :)

well. on the brighter side, technology eventually gets cheaper for everyone to get some.

I bought a Titan, but I had a very specific reason for doing so. I run a surround setup and at 3820 x 1920 the 6GB memory is so nice. I upgraded from 2 GTX 570s and where BF3 at medium settings was still slightly laggy (35 - 40 fps) I now run ultra at 60 fps. I just got max payne 3 and am able to run that at max settings buttery smooth. considering I sold my 570s for 450 I effectively spent 550 on my Titan! Not a bad deal if I say so myself.

Like always, Nvidia "tip" us with an average of 20% performance in relation of the GTX 680 but this latest one had a huge price increase, about 40%!

The Way It's Mean to be Played - Nvidia..

I bought a Titan, but I had a very specific reason for doing so. I run a surround setup and at 3820 x 1920 the 6GB memory is so nice. I upgraded from 2 GTX 570s and where BF3 at medium settings was still slightly laggy (35 - 40 fps) I now run ultra at 60 fps. I just got max payne 3 and am able to run that at max settings buttery smooth. considering I sold my 570s for 450 I effectively spent 550 on my Titan! Not a bad deal if I say so myself.

so you got your 570s for free?

what is the point of your comment?

Not to speak for him, but as I would guess:

he was stating that in most circumstances there was money leftover from the purchase (and future sale of) of the GTX570 (likely for $350-400 when they were new) adding increased cost to upgrading.

Great reviews Thanks for that!
I guess if your a GPU maker and you bring out a great product then you can slap whatever price tag you want on it, but it certainly limits the buyers...for me and my 2cents, this aint a buy for me if it's over $1k the price tag should be lower and probably will be lower in 6 months when another GPU will come out to out perform Titan and there will be another.

around 700-800$ could be a fair price for the Titan ( i would have buyed one for sure at that price. ). At 1k ... its just too much for what your get. YES... you get the hell of a GPU, 6gb Vram on a strong bus but .... Even for surround setup, its hard to justify such a high price. You can get 2 680 4gb or 2 7970 3gb at a much better price, but you sometimes fall into CF/SLI issue and in some case, stuttering ( seems worst on AMD form this last review).

I'm in the process of looking all around to fin a better GPU setup for my 3 screen... 7970's seems to be the best buy currently but not yet enough to convince me. I read too much reviews where they speak about stuttering issue and 4gb 680's are overpriced ... Well i'll stick with this 670 untill more news about 7xx/hd8xxx.....

Sim City and BF3 run great on this single 670. I only need to turn off MSAA.

exactly, Boulard83, seems like with Titan out that the price for the 680's would've come down, I was looking at those as well. If you use Linux then the AMD GPU's will give you driver issues, I have the 7850 and going to replace it due to the AMD driver issues.

The top of the performance range cards have never been value propositions. The GTX680 was already the fastest single GPU product around for gaming. It wins by a small margin perhaps, but it still wins. As a business, why would nVidia want to drop the price of that product when they're not having much problem selling it at its current price?

We all wish the top end stuff were less expensive. Maybe (big maybe) AMD will soon release a card a la the 4xxx series that reshapes nVidia's thinking on pricing. nVidia is in a really good position right now though. They've taken what they've learned from their adventures in the mobile space and applied it to their desktop parts, and vice versa. They currently have the crowns for raw performance, performance/watt, and total watts for their cards. That's a tough combination to beat, and as a company they're going to try to make as much money from that position as they can. They'd be somewhat foolish not to. The trick is to not repeat the GTX280 fiasco by flat out alienating your customers with huge price drops after they've bought in.

I don't think AMD has any surprises up their sleeve near term though. We'll see what happens.

By a lot or a little? The 680 won by slim margins (but like I said, it won), but its trump card was its power efficiency and by association, quietness. Both can be handled via proper cooling engineering of course, but public perception even in enthusiast circles goes a long way.

AMD/nVidia don't release sales numbers, do they? I wonder who has actually sold more GPUs in each performance segment this time around. The products are closely matched, so which a person buys seems largely tied to personal priorities and brand loyalty.

Back