• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GTX TITAN Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
By a lot or a little? The 680 won by slim margins (but like I said, it won), but its trump card was its power efficiency and by association, quietness. Both can be handled via proper cooling engineering of course, but public perception even in enthusiast circles goes a long way.

AMD/nVidia don't release sales numbers, do they? I wonder who has actually sold more GPUs in each performance segment this time around. The products are closely matched, so which a person buys seems largely tied to personal priorities and brand loyalty.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/23.html

That said, the 680 is still $100 more than the 7970. Its power savings wont make up for that $100 difference. 7970 is a no brainer in this context.

Why do people always assume power efficiency is about saving money on electricity? The A/C in my room barely keeps up with a normal summer's day, so I actually have to ration my gaming time to avoid heating the room. In that context, the 680 wins handily.

Well, ok, 670. I've never been one to pay the premium for the top of the range cards.

Yeah get a 670 if you do upgrade Jeremy, They're really the sweet spot and can be overclocked to 680 levels for only ~$340

Plus you won't have to worry about quality issues =P

If ~50w is the difference between frying and not frying, you have major problems. Turn your lights off, power saved!

Yeah get a 670 if you do upgrade Jeremy, They're really the sweet spot and can be overclocked to 680 levels for only ~$340

Plus you won't have to worry about quality issues =P
Or get a 7970 for the same price that wipes out the 670... :shrug: :thup:

Why do people always assume power efficiency is about saving money on electricity? The A/C in my room barely keeps up with a normal summer's day, so I actually have to ration my gaming time to avoid heating the room. In that context, the 680 wins handily.
The difference is 20W between the cards.. 50W at most (Ghz edition is 250W, regular is 220W). 50W difference isnt much in a bedroom (assuming its larger than a jail cell of course). Meh.. anyhoo... :)

There are problems on both sides of the fence. AMD doesnt have any more problems than Nvidia really. ;)

All manufacturing processes have defects. All.

Telling people that core brand has more than another is at best misinformation, especially when you're talking non-reference boards that don't have much at all to do with the actual chip itself.

Some people are happy to spread such misinformation, others are happy to make even more of it up and then spread it to fulfill their brand loyalty requirement for the day.

Personally I try to deal in reality only, and in reality the only quality difference between AMD and Nvidia that I have managed to find is that Nvidia's power sections are woefully undersized, while AMDs are decently chunky.
Everything else is roughly equal on reference cards.
A card made by Sapphire is Sapphire's problem, not AMD's. Similarly a card made by EVGA (we're talking actually made here, not reference from Foxconn with a sticker) is EVGA's problem, not Nvidia's.

Yeah, and then have problems like this

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728378

lolololo
Yep, pretty much this:
All manufacturing processes have defects. All.

Telling people that core brand has more than another is at best misinformation, especially when you're talking non-reference boards that don't have much at all to do with the actual chip itself.

Some people are happy to spread such misinformation, others are happy to make even more of it up and then spread it to fulfill their brand loyalty requirement for the day.

Personally I try to deal in reality only, and in reality the only quality difference between AMD and Nvidia that I have managed to find is that Nvidia's power sections are woefully undersized, while AMDs are decently chunky.
Everything else is roughly equal on reference cards.
A card made by Sapphire is Sapphire's problem, not AMD's. Similarly a card made by EVGA (we're talking actually made here, not reference from Foxconn with a sticker) is EVGA's problem, not Nvidia's.

Culbrelai, your seemingly constant need to validate your purchase of a GTX 670 as well as consistently disparaging AMD's GPUs is becoming quite tiresome. This isn't the first time I've seen it in a thread to which I've been subscribed. Get a grip man. You purchased a good card, so be happy in your decision. Quit disparaging others' choices.

Culbrelai, your seemingly constant need to validate your purchase of a GTX 670 as well as consistently disparaging AMD's GPUs is becoming quite tiresome. This isn't the first time I've seen it in a thread to which I've been subscribed. Get a grip man. You purchased a good card, so be happy in your decision. Quit disparaging others' choices.

Whom exactly was I disparaging? Q_Q

I merely presented an alternative opinion. People can buy whatever they want, but I just want them to know what they're getting...

A higher performing card for less money? That doesn't seem to be what you're saying though.

Do you think someone should be posting all the Nvidia horror stories? Do you think that's actually helpful?

Whom exactly was I disparaging? Q_Q

I merely presented an alternative opinion. People can buy whatever they want, but I just want them to know what they're getting...

An alternative opinion doesn't need the troll-like disdain (i.e. "lololol"). Based on your last sentence, you're also obviously oblivious to Bobnova's well iterated post above.

A higher performing card for less money? That doesn't seem to be what you're saying though.

Do you think someone should be posting all the Nvidia horror stories? Do you think that's actually helpful?

I was backing up Jeremy, not disdaining anyone. Merely pointing out flaws in all of your AMD-colored glasses =P

Point out nVidia flaws all you want, lol. It is helpful because it shows what other's have had to deal with?

An alternative opinion doesn't need the troll-like disdain (i.e. "lololol").

That was more sarcasm than anything, to Earthdog's double emoticon above.

Culbrelai, I'm sorry that you had bad luck with an AMD card but I don't see why you have to consistently bash them calling for 'quality' issues and then stating that the GTX 670 is a perfect card. I've read and witnessed just as many issues involving nVidia cards as I have AMD. Just because you bought a good card doesn't mean that all other choices are poor.

What do you have to say about:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1265387/gtx-670-problems
http://www.overclock.net/t/1346268/gtx-670-problems
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...lls-geforce-gtx-670-superclock-graphics-cards
interesting wording:
GRAPHICS CARD VENDOR EVGA has issued a partial recall of its Geforce GTX 670 Superclock boards claiming that some units did not go through its quality testing resulting in an 'isolated problem'.

I'm honestly getting tired of you bashing AMD's graphics cards because you had a singular problem with one card (which I can't find a thread on here, so no one here had helped you try to fix it)

That isn't to say that one company is far superior to the other, I've always gone for the best bang for the buck (or now whichever will get me the most benchmark points) which has taken me back and forth between the two. Each has had their own quirks and driver issues requiring cleaning and reinstalling, especially when going dual-card (with both brands), but I was able to get it fixed in a day on each side.

Culbrelai, I'm sorry that you had bad luck with an AMD card but I don't see why you have to consistently bash them calling for 'quality' issues and then stating that the GTX 670 is a perfect card. I've read and witnessed just as many issues involving nVidia cards as I have AMD. Just because you bought a good card doesn't mean that all other choices are poor.

Huh? This has nothing to do with me, I merely weigh my experience in with the experiences of my friends, other 'hobbyists', 'gamers' I talk to regularly. Compiling their experiences, nVidia won.

The top one was because he had two different monitors with two different resolutions...

The middle appears to be bad luck, you can't catch everything.

The third, and one you quoted... units didn't go through nVidia's quality testing...

I've never even seen a mention of the existence of quality control for AMD...

I'm honestly getting tired of you bashing AMD's graphics cards because you had a singular problem with one card (which I can't find a thread on here, so no one here had helped you try to fix it)

Once again, I'm hardly bashing them. Where did I bash them?
I pointed out that a 670 is better price performance than a 7970...
Pointed out a problem someone was having with a 7970...
That's about all...

At no point did I say you shouldn't buy a 7970 over a 670.
Do your own research and find out, or better yet buy your own cards and see what happens, it's your dollar, not mine. I'm just giving you my experiences. Laptop's GTX 580m is flawless, so is this 670.

So I naturally push people to the vendor whom I've had better experiences with, so they can have nice experiences, because I am a nice person =P

All my ATI/AMD cards have been flawless too. More flawless than my Nvidia cards in fact.

Nvidia does no quality control on cards not sold under their brand. Foxconn does QC on all the reference cards, the individual companies do it on the non-reference and the reference cards they actually produce. That goes for AMD, too.

Nvidia themselves don't build any of the cards, just the core.

Not sure I see a $350 GTX670 vs a $360 7970 that kills it as the best price/performance.

I too have bad AMD experience, and near perfect nvidia experience.

but I am but 1 in a million worth of statistics.
back then my problem was with catalyst 11, which was terribly undated for games I play, we wrote on AMD forums, called the reps, which all promised us 'swift' action, it took them so long, I quitted some games before they patched it. My Nvidia experience near opposite, game almost always patched before I even need to realize it.

I know Catalyst 12 is supposed to be awesome.
but too late, I am not giving AMD another chance myself. I had enough of their BS.

I know people might have similar experience with other companies, but obviously I will allow my own experience to guide me.
and anybody that tells me otherwise, I will suppose they are working for AMD as salesman. (welcome to the Internet !)

so.. Nvidia FTW !

I agree...

Culbrelai what bad experience did you have with a AMD video card?

My ATI 5770 studdered on multiple games, their "CCC" was much harder to use than nVidia's program that does the same thing...

Just generally of lower quality, but I've learned my lesson.

Not sure I see a $350 GTX670 vs a $360 7970 that kills it as the best price/performance.

No? Maybe you need glasses

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PNY-GTX670

$338

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PC-797_3V3

$380

Regardless, people here are constantly saying you shouldn't go with the most expensive card, because futureproofing ends up costing you more, and you should upgrade often with lower end cards to get the best experience/bangbuck all of that. (and the 7970 is, in AMD's line, with the exception of that only-1,000-made ASUS ROG)

It truly shows AMD bias when you only mention this when people lust for a 680, 690, or a Titan, but not a 7970.

Sure, there is a price difference between those cards (a 7970, 690, and Titan) but the premise is the same. You're telling people that trying to futureproof is bad, yet you recommend the endgame AMD card? And call me biased? LMAO.

So I say get a 670... and if you don't like it... too bad? Not everyone likes everyone elses' opinions.

I agree...
My ATI 5770 studdered on multiple games, their "CCC" was much harder to use than nVidia's program that does the same thing...
Just generally of lower quality, but I've learned my lesson.
I think you mean "stuttered", and I dislike the CCC too. To be fair, I dislike Nvidia Control Panel almost as much.
How about Skyrim, in which you end up with actors floating in infinite Z level loops and not moving in X/Y due to Nvidia (and only nvidia) issues?
There're examples for everything.

No? Maybe you need glasses
Ahh yes insults! Always an excellent plan to get your point across. Also a clear indicator that a person knows what they're talking about, right? Except... if they did they wouldn't have to resort to insults.
Oh well.

Sadly (for me, anyway) the $360 7970 seems to have vanished, it was a reference card of some sort or another and was on Newegg for months.
Given those prices, and the most recent combined chart I've seen, I still say it. The 7970 runs roughly 10% faster than 670, for 12% more cost, but has 3GB of RAM for SLI/CFX use. I'll take that, thank you very much. Single card? 670's not a bad choice if you aren't playing a game that uses >2GB.

Regardless, people here are constantly saying you shouldn't go with the most expensive card, because futureproofing ends up costing you more, and you should upgrade often with lower end cards to get the best experience/bangbuck all of that. (and the 7970 is, in AMD's line, with the exception of that only-1,000-made ASUS ROG)
The 7970 isn't the most expensive card, that'd be a Titan. Or a 690, or a 680 (that the 7970 beats, for less money...)

It truly shows AMD bias when you only mention this when people lust for a 680, 690, or a Titan, but not a 7970.
You don't post anti-nvidia stuff in nvidia lust threads now do you?
Some of us like to steer people towards the best solution to the person's situation.
Other people like to steer people towards their own favorite company.
There are situations where I recommend Nvidia. There are situations where I recommend AMD.

Sure, there is a price difference between those cards (a 7970, 690, and Titan) but the premise is the same. You're telling people that trying to futureproof is bad, yet you recommend the endgame AMD card? And call me biased? LMAO.
The price difference is key, that's like directly comparing the best team in AAA ball with the best team in the major leagues. The top AAA team is the best AAA has! Root for them! Except wait, they're going to get crushed.
I, personally, use price rather heavily when thinking about price/performance. Suggesting that people do otherwise seems... Inconceivable.

So I say get a 670... and if you don't like it... too bad? Not everyone likes everyone elses' opinions.
I say, get a 7970, for these specific, thought out, tested, well proven reasons. Nobody is asking you to like that the 7970 makes more sense to more people, but at some point you have to realize that maybe, just maybe, the overall opinion of knowledgeable people around here doesn't put brand loyalty first. Nor do I go out of my way to chase down anybody saying anything positive about companies in other sections and mock said company.
Then again, I'm a realist. When Nvidia was clearly better (GTX580 vs 5870/6970, bye bye 6970) I recommended them. Not the 570 of course, as it had blammo issues. Now that AMD rules the price/performance roost in most areas I recommend them.

What I don't do is insult people who dislike my opinion (or accuse them of being salesmen for the opposing company), that serves no point other than to undermine the facts.

Back