• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GTX TITAN Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I say, get a 7970, for these specific, thought out, tested, well proven reasons. Nobody is asking you to like that the 7970 makes more sense to more people, but at some point you have to realize that maybe, just maybe, the overall opinion of knowledgeable people around here doesn't put brand loyalty first. Nor do I go out of my way to chase down anybody saying anything positive about companies in other sections and mock said company.
Then again, I'm a realist. When Nvidia was clearly better (GTX580 vs 5870/6970, bye bye 6970) I recommended them. Not the 570 of course, as it had blammo issues. Now that AMD rules the price/performance roost in most areas I recommend them.

What I don't do is insult people who dislike my opinion (or accuse them of being salesmen for the opposing company), that serves no point other than to undermine the facts.

as usual, appreciate your professional opinion, which is valueable.

however, I too, prefer GTX 670, is it a little bit more expensive on Price:performance? yes maybe. But the experience I have with Nvidia makes it more than worth that gap. I think the area you are in global makes a different too with local support, I am in the South East Asia, and AMD support here is just TERRIBLE, AMD support ALWAYS tells you to go back to the reference card vendor here in an indian accent that I fail to understand fully. Whereby nvidia, reference card or not, gives me logical advices that I can follow...

So what I am saying is..

AMD card is cheaper for a reason.
cheap card, cheap service. Maybe computer Gurus like you don't need custy service, and I envy you on that. But folks like me needs it. Sorry I suck so bad. lol.

and nvidia is just better for gaming.
I am told AMD card bench better, which I believe.
but who really cares about performance difference which I cannot tell? :p

This right here Culbrelai...
What I don't do is insult people who dislike my opinion (or accuse them of being salesmen for the opposing company), that serves no point other than to undermine the facts.
...is your biggest problem here. I don't care if you shout from the rooftops how good your GTX 670 is. That's not why I said something to you. It's your attitude and posting style that is tiresome. Your constant jabs (i.e. "maybe you need glasses") are why your posts are meeting such resistance. It's not that you like NVIDIA or the GTX 670, but the way you say it.

Ahh yes insults! Always an excellent plan to get your point across. Also a clear indicator that a person knows what they're talking about, right? Except... if they did they wouldn't have to resort to insults.
Oh well.

Insult? Lol, hardly. You said you couldn't see, I merely recomended a solution for your ocular well-being, as you stated

Not sure I see a $350 GTX670 vs a $360 7970 that kills it as the best price/performance

that you couldn't see.

Sadly (for me, anyway) the $360 7970 seems to have vanished, it was a reference card of some sort or another and was on Newegg for months.

Although now I realize it might've been taken as an insult because I have 20/20 vision and couldn't find a $360 7970 either...

You don't post anti-nvidia stuff in nvidia lust threads now do you?
Some of us like to steer people towards the best solution to the person's situation.
Other people like to steer people towards their own favorite company.
There are situations where I recommend Nvidia. There are situations where I recommend AMD.

I would expect people here of all places to research, and not just go buying off of what some guy said (me, or you, or anyone else here). This isn't QVC lol.

The 7970 isn't the most expensive card, that'd be a Titan. Or a 690, or a 680 (that the 7970 beats, for less money...)

Sigh.

(and the 7970 is, in AMD's line, with the exception of that only-1,000-made ASUS ROG)

The price difference is key, that's like directly comparing the best team in AAA ball with the best team in the major leagues. The top AAA team is the best AAA has! Root for them! Except wait, they're going to get crushed.
I, personally, use price rather heavily when thinking about price/performance. Suggesting that people do otherwise seems... Inconceivable.

Unfortunate I think baseball is the most boring thing on earth, otherwise I might've got your analogy... :L

I say, get a 7970, for these specific, thought out, tested, well proven reasons. Nobody is asking you to like that the 7970 makes more sense to more people, but at some point you have to realize that maybe, just maybe, the overall opinion of knowledgeable people around here doesn't put brand loyalty first. Nor do I go out of my way to chase down anybody saying anything positive about companies in other sections and mock said company.
Then again, I'm a realist. When Nvidia was clearly better (GTX580 vs 5870/6970, bye bye 6970) I recommended them. Not the 570 of course, as it had blammo issues. Now that AMD rules the price/performance roost in most areas I recommend them.

I'm not 'going out of my way'. I stopped posting in that 8xxx series thread in the AMD section a long time ago because I was ruffling too many fanboys feathers, rofl. Bar that, this is nVidia land and I feel a less hostile (although still hostile, considering this whole argument was started by me merely implying that nVidia has better quality products)
atmosphere. I haven't posted much of anything else about to do with AMD...

Once again, I don't find concerns of occular health to be an insult, sorry if you feel that way.

as usual, appreciate your professional opinion, which is valueable.

however, I too, prefer GTX 670, is it a little bit more expensive on Price:performance? yes maybe. But the experience I have with Nvidia makes it more than worth that gap. I think the area you are in global makes a different too with local support, I am in the South East Asia, and AMD support here is just TERRIBLE, AMD support ALWAYS tells you to go back to the reference card vendor here in an indian accent that I fail to understand fully. Whereby nvidia, reference card or not, gives me logical advices that I can follow...

So what I am saying is..

AMD card is cheaper for a reason.
cheap card, cheap service. Maybe computer Gurus like you don't need custy service, and I envy you on that. But folks like me needs it. Sorry I suck so bad. lol.

and nvidia is just better for gaming.
I am told AMD card bench better, which I believe.
but who really cares about performance difference which I cannot tell?

Yup. You get what you pay for.

I always laugh when people whine about how their no brand cereal tastes like dog food, lmfao.

Your constant jabs (i.e. "maybe you need glasses") are why your posts are meeting such resistance. It's not that you like NVIDIA or the GTX 670, but the way you say it.

Constant? If you find mild snarkyness to be an 'insult' sorry lol I guess it's just my personality that is meeting resistance. :*(

Ok folks, let's talk about titan or cease talking altogether. This is the second page of this mess and it's obviously not going to change any opinions or attitudes. So let's just stop.

If you have anything to say about Titan, please feel free to post.

If you want to talk about 7970 vs 670 in the context of anything regarding Culbrelai, do it elsewhere. Our nifty little "ban from thread" button will come in handy if that particular conversation continues.

I've heard decently believable rumors that Nvidia gave the Green Light for non-reference coolers on Titans.
Sadly, not for non-ref PCBs so we (overclockers) are stuck with the meh power section.

I am strongly considering Titan for my daily driver, and I'd like to see if any of you guys can talk me out of it.

I'm using a Korean 27" and my GTX580 is growing long in the tooth. The additional headache that I've just run into is that I got a new TV and want to connect it to my computer which already has two monitors. A pleasant surprise- single GTX5xx's can't run any more than 2 displays period, so either I need to get another GTX580, or I need to upgrade. I'm also toying with the idea of getting two more 27 inchers and doing the 3 monitor surround thing.

I don't like SLi, and I don't feel like spending money on something as dated as a 580, so it'll have to be something new. GTX680 is okay, but it likely won't give the bump in performance that I'm looking for.

Looks like GTX670 SLi is a popular choice for high res setups, but it's not particularly cheap in itself, only a couple hundred bucks cheaper than a single Titan really, and even two of them together will have less vram than a single Titan. Plus, watercooling is a must for me, and once I add in the price of another waterblock, it'll likely end up being a wash. Did I mention that I don't like SLi?

Titan seems to be everything I want. Huge amount of vram, huge enough power from a single GPU that I won't feel obligated to add a second. Though, even for someone like me who is no stranger to the priciest of pricey computer hardware, a grand on a single GPU does make me do a double take.

What I really would like to do is just get one and forget about it for the next 3 years or so. It's what I did with GTX580 and Gulftown, which I'm still running. Titan/Haswell should be a major enough upgrade that I won't have to worry about messing with it for a long time to come. That makes the price easier to swallow as well.

I am in the same spot you are... (27" 2560x1440). I had a 680 and ran things swimmingly maxed out, though I was hitting the 2GB vram. That said, 7970 with 3GB is the way to go IMO.

Though, in 3 years, the 7970 will be long in the tooth I fear...

I got a 690 in a lucky happenstance (traded my 680 + CX430 PSU for it and built this guy's PC). I dont like it only because of the 2GB limit.

I think a 7990 is in order here personally... though then again, you dont like SLI and Im assuming CFx either?

Titan for you, in that case, IMO. BUt I would rock 7990... Its what Im going to try to do personally.

I am strongly considering Titan for my daily driver, and I'd like to see if any of you guys can talk me out of it.

I'm using a Korean 27" and my GTX580 is growing long in the tooth. The additional headache that I've just run into is that I got a new TV and want to connect it to my computer which already has two monitors. A pleasant surprise- single GTX5xx's can't run any more than 2 displays period, so either I need to get another GTX580, or I need to upgrade. I'm also toying with the idea of getting two more 27 inchers and doing the 3 monitor surround thing.

I don't like SLi, and I don't feel like spending money on something as dated as a 580, so it'll have to be something new. GTX680 is okay, but it likely won't give the bump in performance that I'm looking for.

Looks like GTX670 SLi is a popular choice for high res setups, but it's not particularly cheap in itself, only a couple hundred bucks cheaper than a single Titan really, and even two of them together will have less vram than a single Titan. Plus, watercooling is a must for me, and once I add in the price of another waterblock, it'll likely end up being a wash. Did I mention that I don't like SLi?

Titan seems to be everything I want. Huge amount of vram, huge enough power from a single GPU that I won't feel obligated to add a second. Though, even for someone like me who is no stranger to the priciest of pricey computer hardware, a grand on a single GPU does make me do a double take.

What I really would like to do is just get one and forget about it for the next 3 years or so. It's what I did with GTX580 and Gulftown, which I'm still running. Titan/Haswell should be a major enough upgrade that I won't have to worry about messing with it for a long time to come. That makes the price easier to swallow as well.

If you dislike SLI / CrossFire and want the best single GPU solution you can get, bar none and irrespective of budget, Titan is your bag G.

I think the 7970 is best bang-for-buck, trading blows for out-of-the-box performance, but once you overclock it, the NVIDIA lineup is left in the dust since they have no appreciable voltage control for additional overclocking headroom. So if you're looking to spend less than $400, 7970. Like ED said though, it will be long in the tooth three years from now, especially considering it's over a year old already.

If you don't necessarily care about budget and just want the best single GPU there is, Titan for sure.

Both will require image quality and MSAA compromises with three monitors, obviously 7970 more so than Titan. That's just a LOT of pixels for one GPU to handle, regardless of which one you're talking about.

--------------

Speaking of, a little update for you guys - I've arrived at the perfectly playable Crysis 3 settings for triple monitors on Titan:

FXAA, "High" detail settings, "Medium" motion blur and 4x AF. That nets a happily playable, no slow-down 48FPS.

How big of a hit is AF? Last I understood its not appreciable.. you can crank that to 16x I have to imagine... assuming what I remember is right about the barely above negligible performance hit it (used to?)...

7970 isn't a justifiable upgrade over a 580, and for 24/7 rigs I usually try to avoid upgrading a generation at a time, and waiting to upgrade 2 generations...usually encourage others to do the same. I'd be spending less in the short run and more in the long run. Two would be okay, but at that point I'd be better off with either 7990 or Titan. I like the sound of Crysis being playable on triple monitor, also like the sound of slimmed down Titan. $800 would be pretty good, that'd already be more or less equal to GTX670 SLi.

680 and Titan have a justifiably large gap in price. Titan is more comparable to 690, and personally, from what I'm reading, I would likely prefer a Titan to a 690 as well.

If it was meant for WC it'd come with a waterblock.
If you read the review in the OP you'll find 77°c-80°c, that's not bad.

It's designed to run at the temperature target. If you set the fan profile more aggressively, it runs much cooler. You should read the review. :)

Back