• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Two packages arrived late last week. I got the 3.5" trays for the R510. Along with that, I have the third 300 GB Velociraptor. I'll be getting the fourth shortly.

The R710 is just waiting on disks and SAS cables. The R510 still needs a M1015. :-/

r510_tray_arrive.JPG

I may or may not have picked up some dual port 4 GB fiber cards.

Just wondering thid, can't you just use some kind of "cross-over" FC cable if all you need is to connect the storage server to the VM hosts? That should make it cheaper as you won't need a FC switch.

BTW, there are some Infiniband 10Gbps dual cards on eBay for as low as 30 USD.

Just wondering thid, can't you just use some kind of "cross-over" FC cable if all you need is to connect the storage server to the VM hosts? That should make it cheaper as you won't need a FC switch.

BTW, there are some Infiniband 10Gbps dual cards on eBay for as low as 30 USD.

based on how this thread has gone, I can't see Corey getting the cheapest slowest infiniband cards should he go that direction, lol.

40Gbps or bust!

I can look into InfiniBand, but I think their switches are pretty expensive.

I can look into InfiniBand, but I think their switches are pretty expensive.

You should be able to do one peer to peer 40G connection for around $100. If you're looking to patch a bunch of stuff together it's still alot cheaper than 10Ge

No fiber cards yet, but how about 2.4 TB of Velociraptor disks for the R710?

r710_disks_arrived_1.JPG

r710_disks_arrived_2.JPG

sexy collection of drives. you should send me a couple of them.

been wanting to get a few more 300gb velociraptors to go with the one i got in my other pc since the one drive is lonely.

I may or may not have picked up some dual port 4 GB fiber cards.
Looks like I did order some!

cards_arrived.JPG

I also received the SAS cables that are long enough to reach the RAID card. I'm still deciding on whether I want to go with another card or stick with the M1015.

r710_sas_cables_arrived_1.JPG

r710_sas_cables_arrived_2.JPG

r710_sas_cables_arrived_3.JPG

You want to stick with the M1015 and go ZFS.
Even if I could run ZFS on XCF, I wouldn't. I wouldn't gain any benefits because the system is just storing huge virtual machine files.

If you are talking about the file server, I'm leery since it is new to Linux.

Back