• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Thermalright AXP-100 Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrenalin

Thermalright is one of the top names in PC cooling with a wide array of heatsinks to cool just about any component in a computer. Thermalright has recently released the AXP-100, which is designed for small form factor PCs, such as HTPCs and mini ITX systems. The AXP-100 will be pitted against a direct competitor, the Samuel 17 from Prolimatech, as well as a few larger heatsinks. Will the AXP-100 live up to the Thermalright name?
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm always open to feedback if you guys think I missed something :thup:

Here's a neat pic from the AXP-100 manual...

DSCN5648.jpg

The verbiage tells me that it was generic and not for that cooler. It says "Thermalright", and not "AXP-100". ;)

Those awards in the manual aren't specifically for the AXP-100. The top line "Thermalright -- Endorsed by Critics, Chosen by Experts" is saying the company, Thermalright, has been endorsed (given awards) before.

Yeah, if they would have said "The award winning AXP-100" and listed our Approved stamp, then I would have to call them out on it.

Got one of the first AXP-100 and love the little beast. I found you don't need to run the fan very fast to get good cooling.
62c @ 2450rpm
66c @ 2250rpm
but a big difference is noise!
Testing was done on a i7 920 stock (130w CPU).

I also found I got 5c better temps with fan pulling air out instead of pushing air into cooler. Reason is pushing air into cooler deflects out off of mobo and up off of RAM, GPU, I/O housings, etc. and is sucked back into cooler.. cooler intake air was 5c warmer. Sucking the air out of cooler the exhaust goes straight up and in my case directly into PSU so does not mix with and heat up air being pulled into cooler.

Last edited:
I remember the olden days here where someone tested a spacer with vanes to help straighten the airflow. I wonder if something like that would help the 140 achieve better results? Of course part of the issue there is the fact it'd double or triple the height of the whole fan assembly.

This 15mm shroud between TY-140 and cooler improved temps 3c. ;)
Don't have a pic with shround mounted on cooler but here's one of shroud on cooler mounting plate. I just set the fan on for tests as didn't have long enough screws to reach through fan and shroud to mounting plate.
The holes in in each side of shroud were for screwdriver to reach mount screw when used on Noctua U12P
IMG_3682_zps7d7a9bfb.jpg

Back