• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Fractal Design Define XL R2 Case Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a great case. I love mine.... It took an act of god (and a plasma cutter) to get the hole cut in the side panel to get the full view window installed, but it was well worth the trouble. It looks amazing, and offers full visibility to all of the goodies inside.

Thanks for including a few pics of a cooling loop installed as well. Thats my next fun project so I'm looking all over for cases that are water friendly.

Love seeing a well thought out case that is strong and sturdy. The price seams to good to be true.

Strong & sturdy doesn't begin to describe it pinky33. This thing is insane. If you looked at the specs, its net weight (without a system!) is 16.4kb, or 36.2lbs. I don't know how much it weighs with all this stuff in it, but it's heavy enough that I consciously force myself to lift with my legs instead of my back. I'd wager 50lbs, easy.

Build quality is superb; the only thing that would make it better is if it were made of aluminum this thick, which would quadruple the price. My only complaint is the lack of foresight for a fan controller, which is easily remedied by pre-planning which controller to get.

I know it's not the same case but newegg has the Arc midi r2 on sale for 79 plus a 10 dollar rebate :D

Hokie, do you run this on your daily?
Any more thoughts, now that you have had it a while?
It seems this should fit that evga dark, I am trying to piece together a build.

Perhaps I should make a classified ad....... :sly:

Yep, this is my daily and I love it. It's quiet as a mouse and does a great job. My only qualm is the HDDs get a little warm because the stock fans aren't so strong coming through a radiator. That's minor though and they're still well within operating range (~38°C).

Yeah it's definitely a great case for daily use, I have mine sit right beside me on the floor (at the moment) and don't hear a peep from it even when under load.

My only criticism is that the 3 stock fans aren't PWM if you wanted to run them off the motherboard for monitoring/control. But that's an easy fix.

I love this case, it's quiet and sleek.

Last edited:
I am thinking that I am going with this case. Newegg is selling these on ebay for $110 shipped. Does anyone know of anyone that is less after shipping?

I can't speak for this case specifically since I don't own it. However, I do own a Define R4 (artic white), node 304, and node 605. All three of these cases are amazing! Build quality, design, price, fit and finish. From top to bottom these are three of the best cases I have ever owned.

I was previously a Lian-li only guy. Fractal Design has changed that! I would suggest anyone "on the fence" about getting a Fractal Design... take the leap! You won't be disappointed! :thup:

-RYknow

I just ordered one of these. I will update with my thoughts, once I get everything assembled.
Thanks for the review hokie!

I got this case the other day. I just opened it up tonight to take some measurements in preparation for water cooling. It looks very good. I was really suprised by the size. It is big.

You should have seen my wife roll her eyes when she walked in the room and saw the case.

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

I have started assembly on my new computer using this case. I think I found enough room to fit a 2x180 radiator inside with room for another radiator in the top if I need it. I haven't decided exactly which gpu's to use 7970's, 7950's, or sell some of the above to get a 290x. Tubing will be 1/2id x 3/4od black. I am unsure if I have enough room for the rive black, I am still debating whether to get it.

I really like the pass-thrus that keep the wires hidden. I have never had a high end enough case to have that. :D

IMG_20131007_182118_zps4092f500.jpg

IMG_20131007_182147_zps7e64b8c1.jpg

This case seems to make everything look small, except for that radiator.....

:D

Back