• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Mid-Tower Case Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The newest member of Fractal Design's Arc series of Air Flow cases has arrived! Today, we'll take an in-depth look at this latest offering from Fractal Design and see if the Arc Midi R2 lives up to its advanced billing. Touted as being a chassis built for high-performance systems with lots of water cooling options, it should raise the brow of computer enthusiasts and water cooling aficionados alike. Can all this really be done in a mid-tower case? Let's find out together!
... Return to article to continue reading.

Well done. Thanks for the review and build.

I'm liking the advancements case designers are incorporating on an ongoing basis and this just points neatly in that direction. Liking the mix of minimalist front end and 2 5.25" bays; no need for more, possibly even less these days.

Thanks guys, it really is a pretty darn nice case for $100!

So this case has a bottom fan mount...? Those are interesting, seems like they'd really help with airflow...

Front = Intake
Sides = Intake
Back = Exhaust
Top = Exhaust
Bottom = ?

So this case has a bottom fan mount...? Those are interesting, seems like they'd really help with airflow...

Front = Intake
Sides = Intake
Back = Exhaust
Top = Exhaust
Bottom = ?
Yes, as long as you leave the lower HDD cage in it's forward most position (or removed all together) you can mount a fan or fan/radiator at the bottom.

First of all, thanks for the review - it is good to see all the options for watercooling explored.

I assume that this won't fit an e-atx mobo since it is only a mid tower case? There seemed to be lots of room left in there when you had it all installed.

will EATX motherboard fit into Fractal Design Midi R2 ???

A couple questions for someone who has this case, the Fractal Design midi R2. I just ordered a pair of these cases plus 8 more 140mm fans, and have a couple crucial questions.

Burdman27911 asked whether an EATX motherboard will fit in this case. I just noticed that the two motherboards in my current cases that I intend to replace with these new cases are:

GA-990FXA-UD5 == 12.0" x 09.60" == ATX case
GA-990FXA-UD7 == 12.0" x 10.35" == EATX case

Very strange... because they were both called ATX cases when I bought them about a year ago! Though now I see the UD7 is called EATX on newegg. Nonetheless, they both fit in my current identical cases, so I didn't notice until just now.

Lvcoyote showed a photo of a piece of metal sticking out above the power supply that he thinks will prevent the EATX from fitting in the case. However, from what I can tell, the EATX is not longer in the vertical dimension (the 12.0" dimension), but in the horizontal dimension (from the I/O connectors on the back of the computer to the front of the computer).

If this is true, that lip doesn't matter. Am I wrong or confused about this issue?

If the increased dimension of the EATX is indeed from the back of the computer to the front, can anyone see whether there's room for the EATX in this case? From what I can see in the photos of the case with motherboard installed it seems like there is another 0.75" of room, though it appears the edge of the motherboard will be roughly over the center of the slots for the cables to pass through, which will make cable routing a bit tighter but apparently still possible.

Can someone who has one of these cases check this out?

Thanks.

PS: I have to assume installing a fan on the bottom of the case should be pulling air in and spraying it upward against the GPU card and motherboard. Anyone disagree?

Back