• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stellar review Jeremy:thup: What a beast of a card:drool:
Looking at the benchmarks I notice the 7970 still gives you the best performance for money, you can get one new for 60% of the price of the GTX780 (a used one for even less), hard to pass that if you dont mind not having the latest and greatest on the shelf.

Any idea when the GTX 770 will make it's appearance?

Yeah, I have plenty of time to wait though. Planning my new build to be a 4xxx series CPU so gotta wait on that to come out anyways.

So because of the limitations of voltage, I wonder what the point of the 'higher-end' units will be, minus the aftermarket coolers.

Heh, so you can volt-mod them and run them how you want? :p

hopefully they can make a switch for 'voltage unlocked' that comes off by default. I don't feel quite confident enough to do it for a $600+ piece of HW.

I had been planning on buying one of these since the fall of last year. I ended up breaking down and getting an HD 7970 for $400 (with $120 of free games) instead. No regrets whatsoever...spent the extra on a set of Cambridge S30s (great speakers)!

Looks like my card @ 1200/1550 would compete with the 780 @ stock (or get close to).

Great review!

I think having the HIS 7970 X Turbo in there is a little misleading, would have liked to see a reference 7970 GHz edition used instead.

What's so great about Hydro Copper? I'm n00b.

Hydro copper is a card that comes with a full coverage water block installed on it instead of an air cooler. That way you can add the card to your water loop right away, and don't have to worry about voiding warranty. It reduces risk on your part.

Last edited:
You and me both. We can thank AMD for that, we never got a 7970 GHz Edition (and, frankly, didn't push for one because it wasn't exactly ground breaking...). I certainly didn't try to hide anything or mislead anyone and put an italicized note in the test setup section.

*Note the HD 7970 X Turbo was the only GPU tested with AMD’s new driver with our GPU test setup when I graphed these results. It is a HD 7970 with strong stock clocks, operating at 1180 MHz Boost and 1500 MHz on the memory. Thus, you’re seeing some of the best AMD can come up with vs. the GTX 780. The results may surprise you.

For FPS, the GTX 690 mostly. I would prefer the stability, lower power consumption and headache-free operation of a single GPU card though. With the performance of this card and $350 savings, I'd go with the GTX 780.

690 will be faster I would imagine in most circumstances, but for the price (albeit $650) the 780 is a better buy.

Heres some thermal shot from hardware.fr.

gtx780_thermalshot.jpg

For FPS, the GTX 690 mostly. I would prefer the stability, lower power consumption and headache-free operation of a single GPU card though. With the performance of this card and $350 savings, I'd go with the GTX 780.

690 will be faster I would imagine in most circumstances, but for the price (albeit $650) the 780 is a better buy.
Agree. I have a 690 and will be moving to a 780. I think this is the perfect card for 1440p screen and single card. It has the memory capacity (3GB) needed for that res, as well as the bandwidth (384bit) and you can save ~$350 quid over a Titan or 690.

Agree. I have a 690 and will be moving to a 780. I think this is the perfect card for 1440p screen and single card. It has the memory capacity (3GB) needed for that res, as well as the bandwidth (384bit) and you can save ~$350 quid over a Titan or 690.

+1

+2, but I'm keeping my 7970s :)

Back