• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They won't lower the prices until AMD forces them to. The GTX780 price tag is a pretty clear indication of that.

Well, the HD 7970 outperforms the GTX 680...and the GTX's prices don't seem to be budging that much. :/

depends how you define Outperforms. :)
on benchmarks and stock bios, maybe.

for gaming, it really depends on the game title.. very mixed.

depends how you define Outperforms. :)
on benchmarks and stock bios, maybe.

for gaming, it really depends on the game title.. very mixed.

There was a set of benchmarks that was done earlier this year, using up-to-date drivers for both cards. It placed the HD 7970 at or above the performance of the GTX 680 in 80% of games.

If I find it again, I will post a link here. Until then, disregard this, because I may be completely mistaken. :p

I don't think nvidia got the news they have competition and there supposes to lower there prices. GTX 780 $650 ;)
I think they are well aware of it and priced it according. I would imagine with the impending(?) release of the 770 I would imagine its price to be in the ballpark of the current 680's pricing (which hasnt changed since launch), perhaps then the 680's pricing will drop. :shrug:

There was a set of benchmarks that was done earlier this year, using up-to-date drivers for both cards. It placed the HD 7970 at or above the performance of the GTX 680 in 80% of games.

If I find it again, I will post a link here. Until then, disregard this, because I may be completely mistaken. :p

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555

7670 Ghz and GTX 680 at stock, basically the same result.
like someone else mentioned, it depends which game you are playing.

GTX 680 with BIOS mod vs 7970Ghz OC also about the same.
btu that's on reported FPS.

General choice:
If you a Gamer, Nvidia better, faster driver updates, better with recent games. Much less Microstutter, and smoother game play.

If you are a Bencher, AMD better, the scores are higher.

Btw, 7970Ghz is painful to the ears, at 61.5 Decibels. same noise test on full load, GTX 680 around 51 dcb. maybe that's a worth comparison too.

back to the 780.. quieter, faster. but the price is high...
I think the 770 will be priced near $550 and performance above 7970 and 680 for sure.

Last edited:
I think they are well aware of it and priced it according. I would imagine with the impending(?) release of the 770 I would imagine its price to be in the ballpark of the current 680's pricing (which hasnt changed since launch), perhaps then the 680's pricing will drop. :shrug:

I think they priced titan and GTX 780 according to how much they can milk nvidia buyers.:eek:

Last edited:

General choice:
If you a Gamer, Nvidia better, faster driver updates, better with recent games. Much less Microstutter, and smoother game play.

Btw, 7970Ghz is painful to the ears, at 61.5 Decibels. same noise test on full load, GTX 680 around 51 dcb. maybe that's a worth comparison too.

back to the 780.. quieter, faster. but the price is high...
I think the 770 will be priced near $550 and performance above 7970 and 680 for sure.

The Anandtech Bench is useful due to it's sheer scope and range of items you can compare, but this is also it's weakness, as they can't possibly keep something so vast up to date.

A good rule of thumb is always use the most recent reviews/benchmarks to make comparisons... Which makes the latest GTX 780 reviews ideal and quite appropriate given the thread topic.

That being said, Toms, Anand, Guru, Canucks all have the 7970ghz on top. (i left off Overclockers due to the OC'ed 7970 used)
Not even mentioning the free games bundle, a cheaper price tag and 3GB vram.

I mean even if you don't want the free games and you only have a single 1080p monitor, it's a toss up at best.
I'm not sure how you can give such the clear nod to the 680 as the gamers choice.

General choice:

Those benchmarks were done WAAAAAAAAAAAY back in 2012, and no longer adequately depict the performance of AMD cards (since their drivers take so long to mature).

The 7970 is the quietest card I have ever owned (my old cards: 9800 GT, GTX 470). I can't hear it unless I turn the fan up past 75%, and it never gets there with the clocks in my sig. Temps never pass 70C.

The Anandtech Bench is useful due to it's sheer scope and range of items you can compare, but this is also it's weakness, as they can't possibly keep something so vast up to date.

A good rule of thumb is always use the most recent reviews/benchmarks to make comparisons... Which makes the latest GTX 780 reviews ideal and quite appropriate given the thread topic.

That being said, Toms, Anand, Guru, Canucks all have the 7970ghz on top. (i left off Overclockers due to the OC'ed 7970 used)
Not even mentioning the free games bundle, a cheaper price tag and 3GB vram.

I mean even if you don't want the free games and you only have a single 1080p monitor, it's a toss up at best.
I'm not sure how you can give such the clear nod to the 680 as the gamers choice.

+1

cool, you guys are AMD fanboys, and that's cool.
Go ahead and select the reviews that put 7970 ahead, I won't stop you.

the only fact of your statement that is 100% true, is that 7970 is cheaper than 680. the Ghz version is more expensive though.

I am here to tell you, we have played with both cards in a variety of set ups, and between a GTX 680 using Kepler Gold Bios, the GTX 680 easily gets 7970 Ghz performance at cost that's lower.

You are free to believe what you want.
but my recommendation stays if you asking me about the $400-$500 budget range.

I dont even need to bring in game driver update speed or anything here for this arguement, which if I do, makes nvidia stuff even better.

Just saying....my past GPUs:

1. ATI Rage Pro 16mb
2. Nvidia FX 5500
3. Nvidia 9800 GT
4. Nvidia GTX 470
5. AMD HD 7970

I don't think I'm a fanboy; just stating what I perceive.

Just saying....my past GPUs:

1. ATI Rage Pro 16mb
2. Nvidia FX 5500
3. Nvidia 9800 GT
4. Nvidia GTX 470
5. AMD HD 7970

I don't think I'm a fanboy; just stating what I perceive.

of course, all in good spirit.
our different views is what makes this forum valueable to readers.

Since list yours, let me do mine: (and thanks for sharing)

1, GT 220
2, ATI HD 6570
3, GTX 460
4, ATI HD 6950
5, GTX 670

so I basically jump every generation myself too..
I will admit, on my first 3 GPUs, I had no idea what I was doing. :p

my experience with 6950 was very bad, and the struggle in catalyst 11 was just a terrible time for me. Not to mention I found the 6950 though faster, the color/smoothness felt worse than my previous.. since then I have been nvidia basised. when I switched to GTX 670, and now on SLI, that made me the happiest person alive..

anyway, I won't be going GTX 780, out of my price range.. my hopes.. will be like.. GTX 860 in 2 years time. :welcome:

cool, you guys are AMD fanboys, and that's cool.
Go ahead and select the reviews that put 7970 ahead, I won't stop you.

the only fact of your statement that is 100% true, is that 7970 is cheaper than 680. the Ghz version is more expensive though.

I am here to tell you, we have played with both cards in a variety of set ups, and between a GTX 680 using Kepler Gold Bios, the GTX 680 easily gets 7970 Ghz performance at cost that's lower.

You are free to believe what you want.
but my recommendation stays if you asking me about the $400-$500 budget range.

I dont even need to bring in game driver update speed or anything here for this arguement, which if I do, makes nvidia stuff even better.
lol, so quick to call people names...for shame!

The 680 and 7970 seem to trade blows. Pricing on the other hand lands squarely in amds corner. You can EASILY find ghz edition 7970s for $50+ less than a reference 680.

Drivers for single card are fine with regular updates and CAPS helping things along.

Being a reviewer here gives me the chance to play with a lot of catds, and*a lot of drivers from both camps. I can say unequivocally that I haven't had issues with either in my experiences. That doesnt mean either camp is perfect, especially amd with the CFx issues that plague some, but imo, both camps are incredibly solid.

Perhaps, black, go checkout Newegg and verify pricing. ;)

Edit: I see prices have JUST recently come down a bit on the 680 and some of the cheapest are now $450 (refernce model) while you can get a ghz edition, non reference and 4 games for the same price. Honestly, at that point, I'd still go for a 7970 for the vram and bandwidth, not to mention games and a better cooler... Perhaps that is just me though.

Black as admitted he favors nVidia in the past.
He also thinks a 670 can match a 7970.
The 680 is smoother! But I'm the fanboy, right

Last edited:
Edit: I see prices have JUST recently come down a bit on the 680 and some of the cheapest are now $450 (refernce model) while you can get a ghz edition, non reference and 4 games for the same price. Honestly, at that point, I'd still go for a 7970 for the vram and bandwidth, not to mention games and a better cooler... Perhaps that is just me though.

yay~~~~ i was right. :thup:

my local store's gtx680 dropped by $30-$40 too.
though i feel this is probably just the store premium dropping. :)

and 7970 and 680 trade blows. there's no clear winner while each company claims their better. as they should ! lets just agree there are roughly the same?
as seen in this example: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/55725-evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx/?page=11

on using kgb... yes both 680/670 gets a boost that makes them a fair bit better than stock.. 670 can perform near 680, and 680 gets the edge over 7970ghz cause of it. (talking direct 11 game titles only in this statement)
but on 3d benches, 7970 still reigns, so even then there's no clear winner. also on openCL and bitcoin mining operations 7970ghz slightly better.. so.. really can't call which is better in a generalized sense.

SO YOU ARE ALL RIGHT !! :)

:grouphug:

now, the GTX780 is a FREAKING monster.
and I have read that there will be a Titan on Steroids coming out later this year, stay tuned! :)

Last edited:
on using kgb... yes both 680/670 gets a boost that makes them a fair bit better than stock.. 670 can perform near 680, and 680 gets the edge over 7970ghz cause of it. (talking direct 11 game titles only in this statement)
but on 3d benches, 7970 still reigns, so even then there's no clear winner. also on openCL and bitcoin mining operations 7970ghz slightly better.. so.. really can't call which is better in a generalized sense.

I've been looking, but I can't find any benches with the 680 using KGB against an overclocked 7970... can you link?

Back