• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been looking, but I can't find any benches with the 680 using KGB against an overclocked 7970... can you link?

If you speaking on benching items, there's none, 7970 Ghz wins hands down. We of the benching team can tell you that much. :) Go to hwbot.org and see for yourself, this is what I meant by "7970Ghz wins in benching"

In games though, it is different, as the driver probably has a lot to do with it, and I find NVDA drivers more optimal. I cannot find an example with KGB mod, but here's a stock comparison of GTX680 with 7970Ghz. in this example the GTX680 beats 7970Ghz -on stock-.. so when OC-ed, and KGB applied.. you do the math. :) and I have seen in many forums people claiming GTX670 on KGB approaches 7970Ghz performance too. (I haven't tested it.. but I do not think it is impossible either.. driver optimization for games.. can make very large difference.)

example.png

This is what I mean by "In games, I find NVDA GPUs better", this might be related to GPU-CPU sync or just flat our driver optimization, I do not know. but it is quite clear that GTX680 can easily go head to head on 7970Ghz on most of the recent games.

Like I said, both cards have their perks, saying either is better than the other is not a very correct way of describing the results at all. :)

EDIT: I found a good comparison page for everyone: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES_II/27.html
This is done in January, includes all we want to compare in the above talks.

on OC: 7970Ghz can probably get up to 1360Mhz without crashing, GTX 680 can get to 1306Mhz (on KGB) both of which is around the same 10% boost from stock OC.
So if we use this comparison, and extrapolate the results, I will say GTX680 and 7970Ghz is really all about the same. :)

Last edited:
This is one bench of one game at one resolution and a difference of one frame... really? this is the proof of the 680s superiority in games? 1 frame is well within the standard margin for error
Sleeping dogs, Dirt, Hitman,Tomb Raider all favor the 7970 by a large gap.
Battlefield 3 , Crysis3, Farcry 3, Metro, Bio Shock are basically a toss up as some benchs have the 7970 ahead and other have the 680 ahead and both are within a frame or 2.
Blizzard games, like Wow and Starcraft 2 favour nVidia hardware so the 680 is king in those games.
Here are the benches, go though them
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_review,13.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-6.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/7
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ws/61310-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review-7.html

When I say Bench, I don't mean synthetics, I mean all which includes games.

I had originally intended on waiting for a GTX 780, but I got impatient. Also, when I saw that the HD 7970 came with $120 of games I was going to buy anyways, it was a no-brainer. Turns out I spent $370 less than I would have on a 780 (less $250 from GPU, less $120 from games)....and I spent the extra cash on some really nice bookshelf speakers.

EDIT: Someone needs to make a stickied thread that contains a list of all large graphics card shootouts and comparisons (along with the dates they were done and the driver versions used, if possible).

ok... then technically you should be using this version as it is the most updated
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html
and @ 1200 they are both 83% of the 780 and the 7970 is slightly higher @ 1600.
So again, how is the 680 better for gaming?

I'm not the one saying the 7970 is the clear choice for gaming, I only asking the question as to why you guys believe the 680 is.

hmmm.. I read the link you showed differently

overall:in comparison to GTX780
GTX680 84% 7970GE 83%
all resolution except for 2560x1600 gtx680 > 7970GE
(and I dont know anyone that use 2560 x 1600 res for gaming either.)

so your link is quite supportive of the fact that GTX680 is about the same as 7970GE and outperforms in fact in most gaming resolutions. But that's not even my original point...

I have found AMD to be much slower in updating their drivers for new releases, I had this talk with someone else a while back, and in the end, we went through the update frequencies in the official sites to prove that Nvidia has a lot more beta drivers for intrim games releases. (please dont make me count again. :) ) and NVDA is now releasing GEFORCE experience, which is an auto update of the latest game driver to even make it easier for the user.. these are the things that makes NVDA better 'for gaming' for me.

if we want to bring up SLI and CFX.. then we have another issue there too.. a sensitive word on this forum.. "microstutter". which is also an issue in gaming for some folks... so all this combined.. don't you think it is common sense that that NVDA GTX 680 is better for gaming than 7970GE? not to mention, GTX 680 is a tad bit cheaper than 7970GE now...

If you think otherwise, I would like to hear your logic as well, do share. :)

Less than 1080p: GTX 680 > HD 7970 GHZ
1080p/1200p: GTX 680 = HD 7970 GHZ
Over 1200p: GTX 680 < HD 7970 GHZ
Drivers: Nvidia >>> AMD
Multi-card: SLI >>> Crossfire
Price: GTX 680 => HD 7970 GHZ

Who games @ less than 1080p and of those, who owns a 680 or 7970?
Even still, 1% advantage from 1 site is not a win...

What does it matter if nVidia pushes out 10x the beta drivers? can you show me where these beta drivers are providing a huge boost in new releases over AMD not putting out beta drivers?

The only thing nVidia has over AMD at the moment is multicard support.
This conversation was about single cards, nowhere has anyone mentioned SLI or crossfire.

You are splitting hairs now if the crux of your argument is driver support and Geforce experience.
The 7970 is every bit as great for a gamer as the 680(at any resolution) without factoring in tangible things like 3gb of vram (future proofing and better at higher resolutions) and an awesome games bundle.

I'm done, sorry for taking this WAY off topic... we should be drooling over the 780!

Last edited:
Who games @ less than 1080p and of those, who owns a 680 or 7970?
Even still, 1% advantage from 1 site is not a win...

What does it matter if nVidia pushes out 10x the beta drivers? can you show me where these beta drivers are providing a huge boost in new releases over AMD not putting out beta drivers?

The only thing nVidia has over AMD at the moment is multicard support.
This conversation was about single cards, nowhere has anyone mentioned SLI or crossfire.

You are splitting hairs now if the crux of your argument is driver support and Geforce experience.
The 7970 is every bit as great for a gamer as the 680(at any resolution) without factoring in tangible things like 3gb of vram (future proofing and better at higher resolutions) and an awesome games bundle.

..... I am not here to argue, I hope someone else will take my spot here... but since you asked, your link just showed 7970 only better at 2560 resolutions in gaming. Not sure why you are discounting everything else that they are not as good at. However, I will just call them equal performance.

1% advantage is not a clear win for GTX680, I keep saying they are about the same in performance. No one is challenging you there.. so be cool. We are establishing the fact GTX680 <=> 7970GE here only. Both cards are GREAT for gaming, and personal preference can easily make the decision sway either way.

as for the drivers, just search in their sites, I think you know how. More importantly, is 'how fast' each company optimize their drivers to new releases. You can google that too, remember to include AMD CAPS and GeForce Beta drivers to ensure it is a fair assessment. :)

For gaming support, nvidia has their own quite developed 3Dvision, which AMD also is underdeveloped this moment, if you want to count more things.. Performance per Watt is also an nvda win, so is noise level, on top of SLI support, and cost.. if all these factors, listed out, you still prefer 7970GE for gaming experience, then there's still no problem, I own a 7970 myself and I love it. I just prefer GTX680 as I find everything smoother better to the eye.

for me, 7970 has one clear solid use that makes it > GTX680, and that is to get high scores in benching tests, which I do a lot. :) but should I not have to do that, I will be picking GTX680 anyday.

and if I can pick again, I pick TITAN !! :)

Also, I don't think that AMD cards support Ambient Occlusion...at least I don't see an option for it in my Catalyst Control Panel...

Also, I don't think that AMD cards support Ambient Occlusion...at least I don't see an option for it in my Catalyst Control Panel...

AMD support SSAO, although I think they force it on unless it is selectable in the game?

Not positive.

back on track of the GTX 780... this one seems to have everything right..

despite the cost, I feel it will be very popular.

I agree. I still think $650 is a bit too premium but we will see how the rest of the line performs

AMD gives the 680 a beating and costs less. Nvidia has enough Loyal Followers that are willing to pay too much for the performance as long as the label is green.

AMD gives the 680 a beating and costs less.

:shrug:
would like to know based on what you say that:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html
comp.gif

then onto pricing:
Newegg price GTX 680: $470
Newegg price 7970 GE: $460

based on the above info, I hardly consider the $10 difference anything.
Nor does the difference in performance can be considered "a beating".. if anything, the 7970GE is a desperate attempt from AMD to get the 7970 "on par" with the GTX 680. This is also just considering stock only, for 6XX series, there's a KGB BIOS flash you can use that brings it up but another notch.

then I just read another post above for more points:
Nvidia there's:
  • 3Dvision with active 3D
  • PhysX supports games
  • Less Power Consumption
  • Less Noise
  • Less microstutter in SLI

If anything, it is GTX680 giving 7970GE a huge beating at the same price. :shrug: Not sure why so many people pro-AMD despite flat facts on the floor.
I am an Nvidia fan, but to be objective here, I will just say GTX 680 = 7970 GE. facts are above, read in your free time.

Some say AMD 7970 benches better. Bench schmench. I didn't buy a "G"PU to do benching exercises, I bought it for better graphics. Saying AMD can score higher in benching as a 'buying point', is like saying You bought a calculator to draw rectangles with.. :shrug:

I might be nvidia basised, but ONLY cause the facts shows so.
If AMD is better, I will jump camps anyday.

THAT being said, the Titan is a bit too expensive.. but like I said, that's cause AMD has no answer to it, 'at all'. not to mention any microstuttering problem still unresolved.

Last edited:
Titan and GTX 780 are way overpriced for what you get with new games performance compared to the GTX 680 you get 8 more FPS in crysis 3 and with the Titan only 12 more FPS.
View attachment 128138
12 More FPS in farcry3, that sucks.
View attachment 128139

yeah, in agreement, those with 680's is better off just going SLI.

I think that's why Nvidia uses GTX 580 as the 100% benchmark for the 170% performance boost of the GTX 780.. their target audience are those that didn't went for the 680.

So you are a farcry and crysis player then?
for you, AMD might be better.
If you are into Bioshock and Assassin Creed, then Nvidia blows AMD out.

but if you play almost every game like me, then Nvidia gives better overall score. (though the difference is hard to notice)
I will gladly call gtx680 same performance as 7970 GE. unlike some AMD fans that just refuse to admit. weird as hell.

What I don't like about AMD, and I have said this in multiple threads in the last few months: AMD has a terrible habit of being quite slow with drivers for new games though. This is personal experience, for new games, you will need to wait 1-2 mths before AMD will give you a driver that gives decent performance, all the along, nvidia usually release drivers ON THE DAY of the game's release. That I also take as a very 'visible' difference. For old games though, the difference is very small.

Last edited:
I really question Techpowerup benches.
Guru, Anand, and Toms all have either a tie or AMD win in Bioshock.
But techpowerup has a 7 or 8 FPS advantage across all resolutions for the 680.
Hell even the 670 beats a 7970 ghz in their graphs.

Given how many numbers they push into those reviews, I wonder how often they rebench for new reviews

Back