• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:shrug:
some people just never admit when they are incorrect, here's a fine fine example.

Xeon_KI disagrees with GTX680 being gamer's choice. When I posted this:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555

he wrote:
I'm not sure how you can give such the clear nod to the 680 as the gamers choice.

so another forumer posted two links to answer him:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/55725-evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx/?page=11
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES_II/27.html

Xeon then suggests these links are too old, and he posted 4 links that he 'thinks' is more accurate.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_review,13.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-6.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/7
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ws/61310-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review-7.html

which in fact, 2 out of 4 there also shows GTX 680 doing better in the most recent game titles. One of my favorite game, Bioshock gets isolated as example:

then Xeon_KI still thinks those data are inconclusive, post another link
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html

This is my favorite link, as he posted a link that shows the performance of EVERYHTING averaging in, clearly showing GTX680 >= 7970 Ghz under 2560x1600 resolutions. This must be a mistake on Xeon_KI's part though, cause he later decided his link is not accurate. He keep asking:

I'm not the one saying the 7970 is the clear choice for gaming, I only asking the question as to why you guys believe the 680 is.

So Bluezero5 decides to bring up while the performance are 'very similar', Nvidia has many features that makes it better for the gamer, these includes:
PhysX, 3dVision, SLI > CFX. etc.

Xeon_KI knowing he lost the arguement, start to say talking about other features is a 'diversion of topic'. Which in fact he asked to start with, after a very conclusive multiple site that HE posted, shows performance of GTX680 <=> 7970 in most areas. (except synthetic benches.)

Somewhere along the line, Bobnova decided to chip in:
AMD gives the 680 a beating and costs less. Nvidia has enough Loyal Followers that are willing to pay too much for the performance as long as the label is green.

also making claims that techpowerup site is not well managed, and their benching is wrong, when I just call him out and said his price is wrong, and his concept of gaming performance is wrong. (Just flat wrong, you will think a benching team Senior member will know better.) GTX680 cost same as 7970GE on newegg, and multiple sites clear shows the avg performance of GTX680 > 7970GE.

Then Xeon_KI returns with a vengeance, claiming Techpowerup is the ONLY site that says so. As other sites says otherwise, Techpowerup MUST Be wrong. (AMD fanboyism at best here I believe.)

Then I of course was upset, so I told him nicely that he shouldn't cherry pick reults, I even give disclaimer in my best intentions:
I am saying this with good intention, not trying to be condolscenting or anything. I am trying to point out, you have a flaw in logic, and you might already been subjected to marketing bias, that you should be aware of, hope you can read my post that way.

then Xeon_KI comes back with:
What I actually did was read your post where you state nVidia kills AMD cards in Bioshock and I thought, hmmmmm... that is not what I remember seeing the day before.
So I decided to actually fact check it across multiple reviews and was faced with an anomaly.
I thought to myself, "I wonder why these result are so different than the others."
After a moment or so, remembering the Anand Bench is not often updated due to the amount of datapoints and came to a possible answer.

Also both you bluezero5 started out stating the 680 was the clear gamers choice under the premise it being better at game benches, while the 7970 is better at synthetic benches.
Using multiple benches, from multiple sites I proved that this is false.

well, Bobnova and Earthdog loved that comment I tell you. cause he claims the site that claims GTX680 > 7970 is FALSE, and keep saying any talks about SLI > CFX or any issue on microstutter is no issue. cause AMD cannot lose to Nvidia right? no way. Gamer support like better drivers, and 3Dvision is now deemed as 'changing story' and not focusing on the topic. and it is Xeon_KI here that says other sites ALL claim 7970 > GTX680 on Bioshock.

This upsets bluezero5, so he googled two more showing that many sites supports the fact GTX680 >= 7970GE in most gaming situation, and the newest favorite game Bioshock gets in as example:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/04/23/bioshock-infinite-performance/4
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/bioshock_infinite_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,6.html

both Bit-tech and Guru agrees ALSO with TechpowerUp that GTX 680 > 7970 in most resolutions.

Then other than accepting defeat, Xeon_KI pulls the "I am bored with you card" and calls those '1 month, 2month ago, too old', when in fact the first TechPowerUp report that's 1 week old ALSO agrees GTX680 > 7970GE conclusively. So rather than 'realizing GTX680 > 7970GE is true since many months ago, he decides to think the rest of the world is not scientific.. claiming:
I use the best information I have access to, to form my opinions. I'm still waiting to see better data.

when the world gave him data, he spits it out, old or new. Newest being TechpowerUp that agrees with the old, but apparently that's not accurate cause it doesn't say 7970 > GTX680.

:facepalm: AMD can't even fix Microstutter yet and is making everyone with CFX suffer. (my roommate is a perfect example.) If that doesn't say why GTX680 is a better card for Gamers, what will? better synthetic benching? more microstuttering? :shrug:

Now, there's GTX780, which is BEYOND awesome.
The price tag is too steep for me, but if you look for performance, it beats EVERYTHING, hands down.

Hopes this answer why Nvidia > AMD as of today. and may all those that claims otherwise find 'good data' to support them before they make a rebuttal.

Disclaimer:
I am here on NO WAY saying 7970 doesn't have its perks, which is in pure calculations like bitcoin mining, and folding at home. 7970 is also better for selected game titles, and excels at the resolution of 2560x1600. But on average performance across all games, I am saying that GTX680 is a clear Gamer's choice, cause the performance is better, cost comparable, and cause the company support is BETTER, 3Dvision is VERY good, so is PhysX for selected games. I am here to say cause of these supports, and GTX680 <=> 7970GE for about the same price, this makes Nvidia better. and i bought a GPU for gaming not folding, nor do I use a 2560x1600 res. If you do have such a high res, 7970 will be better. But if you are like the rest, on 1920+/- resolution, GTX680 has better avg gaming performance, proven by multiple sites that are relatively new: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html

Last edited:
Seriously, to the popcorn.

Can you find/link/quote where I said anything along these lines?
also making claims that techpowerup site is not well managed, and their benching is wrong, when I just call him out and said his price is wrong, and his concept of gaming performance is wrong. (Just flat wrong, you will think a benching team Senior member will know better.)
Point me towards where I outline my concept of gaming performance. Or where I said TPU isn't well managed. Or where I said their benching is wrong.

680 price drops are brand new, and happened since the last time I looked at prices.

Don't forget the most recent Nvidia drivers borking BF3, or the yellow roads in BF3. Gamers don't like that, I don't think.

Not everybody likes 3dvision. It makes many seasick, and may or may not impair depth perception with extended use.
PhysX is lol.
AMD brings eyefinity.
As to SLI vs CFX, I give that one a meh. I've yet to have issues with either one.

As for the 780 being beyond awesome, I'm disappointed for the price.
The performance is nice, but the pricetag ruins it for me. Much like the 680 was ruined for me prior to the recent price drops.

EDIT:
Less than three days.
If it lasts the night I'll be mildly surprised. The personal accusations have started flying, that's certain doom.

EDIT:
Less than three days.
If it lasts the night I'll be mildly surprised. The personal accusations have started flying, that's certain doom.

This +1.

On a side note, dude messed up when he called out Bob, its on like white on rice now.

yeah sure. when talking about how often techpowerUp update their benches:
I really question Techpowerup benches.
Guru, Anand, and Toms all have either a tie or AMD win in Bioshock.
But techpowerup has a 7 or 8 FPS advantage across all resolutions for the 680.
Hell even the 670 beats a 7970 ghz in their graphs.

Given how many numbers they push into those reviews, I wonder how often they rebench for new reviews

Not often enough, I'd wager.

If You mean something else there, I would apologize and hear what you mean by that. But from a normal person reading, you are saying TechpowerUp's most recent bench is poorly managed, and can be ignored. You got mislead by Xeon there, cause in fact Guru and other sites shows GTX680 > 7970 in his example, bioshock. Look at bluezero5's links if you do not believe.
:shrug:

Seriously, to the popcorn.
680 price drops are brand new, and happened since the last time I looked at prices.
Yup, please keep up with the world before making a strong statement. as a senior member you should.

This +1.

On a side note, dude messed up when he called out Bob, its on like white on rice now.

Wrong is wrong dude. If correcting senior member now a 'no no' on this forum, that we might as well be communists.

Don't forget the most recent Nvidia drivers borking BF3, or the yellow roads in BF3. Gamers don't like that, I don't think.

Not everybody likes 3dvision. It makes many seasick, and may or may not impair depth perception with extended use.
PhysX is lol.
AMD brings eyefinity.
As to SLI vs CFX, I give that one a meh. I've yet to have issues with either one.

funny isn't it?
one thing nvidia done, and you completely Soak it. good things from nvidia completely ignored. All my teammates I know, use 3D glasses on BF3, it makes it soooooo much better. I will accept your personal dislike though, its not for everyone. but yes, the recent driver wasn't the best for bf3, that's why in techpowerup, nvidia no longer score as high as well. But EVEN THEN, the average performance is still better. I wonder what you have to say there. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html

AMD eyefinity use to be something, until the kepler series of GTX cards can do 4 screens WITHOUT the requirement of a passive->active tail adapter. So unless you want more than 4 screens. They are the same.

again SLI>CFX is ignored, cause AMD loses. totally normal. just people quitting gaming cause of it. :shrug:

yup, bring the popcorn, what else you got to say?

Last edited:
wow, I'm honoured you are this upset!
I also want to congradulate you for one of the largest fail posts I have ever read!

Bluezero brought up Techpowerup, all I did was point him to the most recent review from them... so you know, to get the most up to date numbers.
We talked about the overall numbers and I also agreed that the 680 over all resolutions was better accoring to Techpowerup, but was the same @ 1200 and worse @ 1600.
Thusly proving my point that the 680 was not better in game benches. pretty simple, I'm sure even you can follow that, ya?

The rest of your mess of a post is filled with exaggerations and half truths.

Also your true colours come out when you make this about AMD vs nVidia...
The 780 is faster than everything (except for Titan, lol derp) and that is why nVidia is better than AMD!!!!

Last edited:
wow, I'm honoured you are this upset!
I also want to congradulate you for one of the largest fail posts I have ever read!

that goes to you, I am in a jolly good mood today. are you mad? cause you reading it wrong. I am just joking with my roommate when correcting you, but if you are mad, you might read it so. :shrug:

Bluezero brought up Techpowerup, all I did was point him to the most recent review from them... so you know, to get the most up to date numbers.
yup, and your link said you are wrong. dude. :rofl:. big fail. check again. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html
We talked about the overall numbers and I also agreed that the 680 over all resolutions was better accoring to Techpowerup, but was the same @ 1200 and worse @ 1600.
Thusly proving my point that the 680 was not better in game benches. pretty simple, I'm sure even you can follow that, ya?
man, still in denial. so you want to say 7970 > 680 on average? despite almost no gamer game on 2560x1600? you know what? fine, live in denial. but the data says otherwise. :shrug: The rest of the world is saying 7970 <=> 680 (that reads, they are the same), but nvidia support is better, and in games FPS on average GTX 680 is better, hence GTX680 a better gamer's choice, this is also 'your' question, people just answering. but I guess the truth hurts? You need 7970>680 don't you? -chuckles- for u everything else that is a tie breaker for a 'gamer's choice' will be a change of topic. :shrug:

The rest of your mess of a post is filled with exaggerations and half truths.

Also your true colours come out when you make this about AMD vs nVidia...
The 780 is faster than everything (except for Titan, lol derp) and that is why nVidia is better than AMD!!!!

:shrug: another failed post by you, the last paragraph doesn't even make sense. Guess u upset. :facepalm:

relax and enjoy man, life is too short to be upset.

Last edited:
can we just group hug and agree 680 basically same performance/price as 7970ghz?

i suppose to each their own.

we should be rejoicing on how good the 780 is instead!!

I guess you can't follow that.. lol
My link to the Techpowerup bench wasn't about being right or wrong Turbo. It was about being precise and using the most accurate numbers techpowerup had to offer.
It's like talking to a rock

My link to the Techpowerup bench wasn't about being right or wrong Turbo. It was about being precise and using the most accurate numbers techpowerup had to offer.
It's like talking to a rock

I really question Techpowerup benches.
Guru, Anand, and Toms all have either a tie or AMD win in Bioshock.
But techpowerup has a 7 or 8 FPS advantage across all resolutions for the 680.
Hell even the 670 beats a 7970 ghz in their graphs.

Given how many numbers they push into those reviews, I wonder how often they rebench for new reviews

contradicting yourself now dude..... you see, that's your problem.
you later even said you think:

so you think techpowerUp is correct now? how about Bobnova that supported you on the fact he thinks it is not updated enough now?
or did the other sites posting similar results finally convinced you? I am curious.

one thing nvidia done, and you completely Soak it. good things from nvidia completely ignored.

Yeah I noticed that around here too, funny really, but then there's an AmD blitz and everyone's just dandy bashing nVidia, like when the ARES II came out.

AMD can't even fix Microstutter yet and is making everyone with CFX suffer. (my roommate is a perfect example.) If that doesn't say why GTX680 is a better card for Gamers, what will? better synthetic benching? more microstuttering?

Lol I got microlags without CFX on a AMD card, the very same game, none on an nVidia card. And no, no topics ever get locked here, just the nVidia people get kicked out of the topic, and the AMD people continue to talk crap even though they're told not to =P

Last edited:
how is this a contradiction? I have said this whole time you should use the most up to date data a site has to offer.. I also said you should use more than one source.

My hesitation about the Techpowerup data wasn't about it not being the most up to date, it was, of the recent 780 reviews from popular bench sites, the only one that showed a large gap in performance between the 2 cards in Bioshock.

Are you even reading these posts?
I understand I don't normally spell it out this thoroughly, but I expect that people who frequent tech forums to discuss these types of topics to have some level of reading comprehension.
My bad, i guess

Yeah I noticed that around here too, funny really, but then there's an AmD blitz and everyone's just dandy bashing nVidia, like when the ARES II came out.

I find it funny too.

in my little talk here, the scarey part is they make you feel like you are insane when you simply say GTX680 about the same as 7970GE. (which data shows). Some insist that 7970GE is giving GTX680 a beating, anything else, they deem crazy..

also is scarey is that even AMD admitted that CFX is broken currently, but AMD fans here keep saying "nah, that's a meh, not the case"... if that is not denial, I really don't know what is... my roommate is about to trade his pair of AMD cards for 670s this coming weekend cause of microstutter in Farcry3. (which is so bad, he cannot play, at all, radeonPro basically slows the graphics to make it better, defeating the purpose of 2xGPU) But apparently according to them, these are NOT FACTORS of making AMD the best choice for gamers though..

how is this a contradiction? I have said this whole time you should use the most up to date data a site has to offer.. I also said you should use more than one source.
You then said it is wrong, cause other sites says so. you forgot eh?
Are you even reading these posts?
I understand I don't normally spell it out this thoroughly, but I expect that people who frequent tech forums to discuss these types of topics to have some level of reading comprehension.
You are now in so deep, you are ignoring your previous points that you said

Also, not only bioshock, you dont get "best avg" but wining on one game dude. look at other popular games like, Assassin creed, CoD etc. These are also in favor of Nvidia. Overall, 7970GE = 680. This is shown in the data, and you asked why that makes GTX680 a gamers choice, and we told you about other supported features, and some problems with AMD CFX. I admit here, I copied bluezero5's point there, cause I thought his points are decent.

if that doesn't become a tie breaker, what will? what you want dude????

anyway, I feel you should private message me unless you want to keep calling out on people. I will response when you do, but otherwise I will try not to agitate you as you look a little pissed off. to that, I apologize.

Trueblack most of us are just rolling our eyes at you is why you see so little supporting arguments.

Clock for clock 680gtx cant compete with a 7970 and the 7970s on average overclock better than the 680gtx.

They"7970" also released 6 months earlier and id have to guess on average most can do 1200mhz core - 1650mhz mem 24/7 from the first day of release some actually oced better in the earlier versions.

So its quite simple the 680s just released with a more aggressive overclock to compensate for the lack of overall competitiveness otherwise.

Until titan released the 7970s were still beating down on the 680s in almost every 3d bench out there in the overclocking leagues air or otherwise.

Your trying to compare a stock for stock which to me and alot of others is just a feeble attempt at winning a argument some might call it fanboyism at the very least.

Also bobnova has benched and tested more than his fair share of hardware so taking his views or opinions into your consideration would be just good advice.

Then you have someone like myself that has a 24/7 1250+core -1850+mem card which should actually compete with any stock 780gtx or be close in performance it makes the 780gtx for a gamer seem like a meh type upgrade at most.

Clock for clock 680gtx cant compete with a 7970 and the 7970s on average overclock better than the 680gtx.

LOL

My 670 beats 680s, so where does that put 7970s?

670v680.png

Maybe they'll say its shopped!

Or I cheated!

Back