• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If nvidia are worse at bitcoin mining, then no matter how many nvidia cores you throw at it, a similar number of amd cores would do more.

Saying the worlds largest supercomputer uses nvidia so nvidia must be the best is like saying mcdonalds is the biggest food chain in the world so mcdonalds has the best food.

Edit: also, its laughable to say nvidia quality is greater than amd quality, there is a reason nvidia hard locked voltage on the 6 series cards, after how many 570s and 590s blew their vrms.

terrible analogy you using.
and I do not think you understand Tesla structure nor computing power.

You got some reading to catch up on. Til that, there's little we can discuss about.

if you don't mind, I can select some for you. and Pierre is just blindly agreeing with you there, he doesn't understand about the difference in the Tesla card structure either from the few lines he's saying. :shrug:

You got some reading to catch up on.

if you don't mind, I can select some for you. and Pierre is just blindly agreeing with you there, he doesn't understand about the difference in the Tesla card structure either. :shrug:

True i may not understand the full structure yes. But at the end of the day, that still has zero to do with the overall build quality of the finished product, and i have never claimed to know about the structure, if you read what i wrote, i talked about an order, where the buyer sets up the requests for the chip. nVidia were able to deliver, and thats why teslas sit in a super computer today, but it still serves no purpose in the debate what so ever.

If you want to go down this road, then why do all the new gen consoles have AMD/ATI and not nvidia?

firstly, I would first want to say one thing. ON THE TOPIC of bitcoin mining, 7970 is probably one of the best card to do so, I won't go into specifics, but even the GTX Titan cannot compare. When I was saying using Titan to mine, I was referring to the 'supercomputer titan', that has 18688 Tesla K20X cards, and the combine wrath of that can beat 'anything' today in calculations.

OK, now that being said.

back to topic:
Quality: I don't have data.. but I read about both nvidia and amd cards dying. I will read some, and come back, I dont want to just make stuff up.

now, why new gen consoles have AMD/ATI? from the talks on companies like Sony etc, they say it is cost related, so obviously AMD was able to deliver the chip they need at the lowest bid. Which AMD SHOULD be able to, afterall, that company makes CPUs too, the synergy in getting console chips SHOULD be higher. My understanding was that nvidia was actively pursueing that business too, but lost out in the end. I guess when it comes to mass production, AMD has a serious edge, and AMD knows it, that's why they prefer to do mass production business, and nvidia seems to focus on Crown jewels. At least, it seems like that to me.

AMD likes to Bottom-Up, work the business, mass produce, it we can jack it up to top nvidia, we do it.
Nvidia appears to do Top-Down, work the expensive chip, crazy expensive card, if we can make it cheaper for mass market, then we do it.

(the above I base on my impression only. I base my impression on product lines and stuff I read only, not factual)

However, why does the supercomputer uses Kepler Tesla K20X? they claim they spared no expense, and for 'what they do', Tesla cards gives better performance, this can be read from the long article of 'Construction of the Titan'. I read it around 3 months ago... was good read.

You got some reading to catch up on. Til that, there's little we can discuss about.

if you don't mind, I can select some for you. and Pierre is just blindly agreeing with you there, he doesn't understand about the difference in the Tesla card structure either from the few lines he's saying. :shrug:
forget it,not worth it...

AMD has a serious edge, and AMD knows it, that's why they prefer to do mass production business, and nvidia seems to focus on Crown jewels. At least, it seems like that to me.

You actually picked up on something very interesting here. If AMD produce a lot more than nvidia, and AMD tends to have more fails than nvidia, with a bigger production, we should be looking at failed cards vs produced amount, then the numbers might not be as bad as people would like to think they are?

Just to finish off my side.

It seems we agree at the end of the day, it just dragged out. Yet, all that had nothing to do with quality talks that were going on, and it seems to be an even score on that account from your point of view.

Last edited:
www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_gpu_marketshare_increases_as_amd_and_intel_drop.html

jpr_marketshare_q3_2012.png

this will tell u discrete gpu market share. AMD has roughly 1.2 times share of NVDA.
Quality wise, i got both.. i feel AMD is tougher.
AMD is like steel meant to be abused.
NVDA feels like a gemstone, shines by more fragile.

however cause of this AMD users tend to be rougher with their cards which can also be a reason of more failure.
Maybe cause NVDA cost more in general, users then to be more loving to their card.

Last edited:
hey.. let's try not startle him.. he is a warrior..
u are just asking him to challenge u there.... ....

not challenging anything, people have already rsponded in kind to this.... display of knowledge. I just bought the popcorn and watching the show now. Curious to see justhow much dirt one can shovel on their own head at this point.

@ Pierre, if you are not looking at broken card rates by % in the first place, you are not doing it right. If amd sold 1M cards with 2% return rate vs nvidia that sold 750k with a 2% return rate, its going to look like amd cards suck using a raw quantity like that.

Last edited:
not challenging anything, people have already rsponded in kind to this.... display of knowledge. I just bought the popcorn and watching the show now. Curious to see justhow much dirt one can shovel on their own head at this point.

@ Pierre, if you are not looking at broken card rates by % in the first place, you are not doing it right.

Ok. good luck. though I disagree with you doing this. scares me a little.

:popcorn:

I refuse to comment much on your post that is aimed to insult people on grammar etc, least I don't respond to those with a vocab of a 12 year old. You can do that all day, you will get not much response from me. But you sure show your personality very well as a senior member, interesting. Glad to meet you, bobnova.
Hey look at that, proper grammar! Well almost. As long as we're going to trade a few insults here (I think you were trying to say I have the vocabulary of a 12 year old, rather than saying you you have such a thing. Maybe I'm wrong), know that "oftenly" is not a word.
Now, you read the above out of context completely, but I will help you understand it, since you need the help.
Proper grammar does help people understand things.

This about TechPowerUp Update frequency:

you mean you are not calling them out for posting a poor comparison with not oftenly updating their drivers? and that is not a reflection of poor management? Do you simply mean they don't know what they are doing, and hence don't update enough? If you mean something else there, you sure lost me there. Yup. Don't know what else you can mean other than utter disrespect for a site that does review.
I mean that I doubt they have rebenched everything with the current drivers. Sort of like I said in my last post.
This has absolutely nothing to do with their management, it means nothing about my respect for their site, and I'd like my apology now.
NOBODY re-benches everything on the most current drivers every time a new driver comes out. We here at OCF try to keep up halfway decently, but only on a very limited number of cards.
With a large card database it would take more time than you have till the next driver update to rebench everything.

That is not only false, it sparks fanboyism wars.
lol, like your posts?

btw, I got my Mobo and CPU for free, from a sponser, so unlike my GPU, I will clock the shxt outta it. I normally won't even buy an Euthastist class chip, as it is a complete overkill for what I do. So you know that. (as you questioned.) I have my old 2600k to fall back on when this dies, and in a way, I am waiting for it too.. surprise it hadn't.
You keep saying "like me", and now you try to make yourself different. Make up your mind.
Either you think anybody who doesn't OC a K bin CPU is worthy of being mocked or you don't. Given your sig, I'd say you do.
Given that, your stance of "People like me don't OC their GPU much" looks awfully silly.

Bonus: Defeating the swear filter is a Bad Thing.
I am in a pretty good mood today, but I do have a paper to write.
if you have more to say, you can post, my next reply can take a while though.
Glad you're in a good mood, me too. Sunburnt, though.

ps: I don't think the GTX780 price tag is too bad. For something with no competition, they can price it anywhere they want. that's what corporations are SUPPOSE to do, SELL new technology, compete prices when matched. I don't think that is hard to understand.
The ability to price it where ever they want does not make the price good.
You're mistaking "good price" for "proper business practice".
Proper business practice is to ream out the customers wallets to the largest extent possible without getting (successfully) sued.
That doesn't make price-rape a good price from the perspective of "the normal gamer". If you're going to launch into all this nonsense from the perspective of the "normal gamer" then perhaps you should keep that perspective when it comes to price.

With regards to Titan, or "Supercomputer Titan" (lol), neither can mine bitcoins for beans.
Nothing Nvidia can.
trueblack said:
However, why does the supercomputer uses Kepler Tesla K20X?
Because it's the highest performance single core out there, bar none. Why would they use anything else?

I have to be a bit honest here and admit that I enjoy arguing, I don't actually care what misguided opinions you may or may not have, I just find it amusing for some reason to argue with people that have such passionate beliefs that they make up "logical" reasons for them. Watching grammar, punctuation and spelling break down is kind of fun too :p
Now that said, I should probably cut it out before I get yelled at, so for now know that I'm laughing at every post, and try to work on grammar/spelling/punctuation for that paper :thup:

Guys, honestly. Get the thread back on topic instead of rambling on about each others grammar and what not. This is a thread for talking about the GTX 780. So let's talk about the 780. Shall we? Like for instance, what would you guys be looking for a non-reference design on the GTX 780? I think a Direct CUII would look good honestly! :D

Like for instance how do you guys like the specifications of the new GTX 770?

Frankly I'm rather disappointed overall. I knew going in I would be, mainly because I would rather see more GK110 cards than the older GK104's. I get why they are doing it this way, but it still feels rather "slap-in-the-face"ish to me.

Given the extremely limited overclocking and overvolting, there's no real need for a non-reference. Slap a better cooler on it (to prevent throttling) and call it a day.

GTX770 wise, it's better than I expected.
If this is a slap in the face from Nvidia, what was the GTS250? :D

I didn't intend to write GTX 770, i mistook this with another thread. I think they should make a un-voltage locked 780. The slap a great cooler on it. Just for us Overlcockers! :D

That would be nice if NVIDIA didn't prohibit partners from doing it... :rolleyes:

My GTX 780 and GTX 770 can both get well over 1200MHz even with their limited voltage control.

Last edited:
Someone should slap Nvidia upside the head with a big wet fish. They could be making so much more money. All they'd really have to do is put in there warranties, we do not cover damage due to overclocking.

Someone should slap Nvidia upside the head with a big wet fish. They could be making so much more money. All they'd really have to do is put in there warranties, we do not cover damage due to overclocking.

I feel their strategy is using GTX 780 as flag ship

and they just hope GTX 770 will be a 7970 killer. (explains that price range)
but really should give a tint more power.... which brings me to potential voltage mod in bios. :) I will ask that in the 770 thread!

EDIT: looks like it is already defaulted at 1.2125V. ahwelll.. was hoping for a surprise

Last edited:
All they'd really have to do is put in there warranties, we do not cover damage due to overclocking.

My guess is that is already in there (in far different terminology though). The problem isn't writing it down though, the problem is proving that you overclocked the card and that the overclocking resulted in a hardware failure.

This is why they take a harder stance here than all of us would like. If they gave us unlocked voltage and allowed manufactures to do more custom stuff they are opening the door for a lot more hardware failures. This can easily result in horrible press and bad looking stats, which is generally bad for business.

It is just one messy area to get into.

Back