• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intel doesn't have many problems with stats on their unlocked CPU's. We all know a lot of us including myself have overclocked the snot out of their processors. I've surpassed 5.5Ghz on an H100I and mine runs like a gem. Given i didn't stress test. I digress however; I would be much less weary buying an Nvidia card if they weren't locked.

There is a huge difference that you are not taking into consideration. Intel doesn't have to worry about everything that is on the motherboard, if that breaks as a result of an overclock. Nvidia has everything on the card to worry about, which means a lot more potential for things to break.

What i mean is, you could easily fry a chip. Just the same as fry an Nvidia card. I just think from a consumer perspective 1 card that you can OC the snot out of, and has a phenomenal cooler, with a good amount of VRAM. Wouldn't be to much to ask for. I should also say that the press regard this as the Overclocking card, and if you destroy it, at the end of the day to bad so sad.

There is a huge difference that you are not taking into consideration. Intel doesn't have to worry about everything that is on the motherboard, if that breaks as a result of an overclock. Nvidia has everything on the card to worry about, which means a lot more potential for things to break.

true on that front, I do wonder how much the warranty service cost each company. As part of their losses in revenue that be. :confused: Or does that cost gets exported to the distributors? like Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Logic tells me, the later case be more likely.

So from my understanding it is kinda split between both. The service cost (technical support, shipment, etc) is on the distributors. The hardware cost is on nvidia.

Nvidia only warranties the GPU, the partners take care of the rest.

Nvidia wont allow more voltage from the partners so it wont fry the GPU.

Last edited:
If you want to go down this road, then why do all the new gen consoles have AMD/ATI and not nvidia?

Because AMD is the budget over quality route, and it will always be that way, it's even true with their CPUs.

Hell, perhaps Micro$haft and $0nya want their consoles to fail early, so people have to have mulitple ones =P

From what I've heard and read, the Kepler dies degrade pretty quickly starting at 1.3v.
That, and being able to save money on the power bits, is likely why they put such a hard lock on voltage.

I dont see a quality issue with AMD. Does anyone else?

My only complaint was the initial instability of their drivers . . . which has now been dealt with. Also, Bad Company 2 crashes on AMD cards when MSI Afterburner is running, but I made my own fix for that.

Because AMD is the budget over quality route, and it will always be that way, it's even true with their CPUs.

I'd say that efficiency (performance per watt) is what AMD skimps on to reduce their prices.

AMD cards - Built quality issues : No ...Driver issues with single card : maybe initially...Driver issue with CFX : Always

I happen to think AMD stuff can take a fair bit of abuse.

the problem here, is cause of that, the users tend to be a bit more Rough when it comes to handling AMD GPU, I was guilty of that too, I often go in with the mindset, "bleh, it can take it", and just over volt until it crashes. hahaha. But that being said, my 7970 is still alive, so I have not experience any quality issues yet.. I never tried AMD CPUs, all complains on AMD, I read on forums at this point.. so I prefer to stay neutral on this issue for now. :)

forget it,not worth it...

roll eyes. 4 words for you, floating point vs Integer. that's my point, but your attitude there shows me no reason to explain, you are just trying to insult, not debate. And to think I accepted your request to earlier by PM in another thread to help you keep some 'credit' by editting my post.. guess I shouldn't had done that, should just exposed you the way I did. well, no next time.

Hey look at that, proper grammar!

I have to be a bit honest here and admit that I enjoy arguing, I don't actually care what misguided opinions you may or may not have, I just find it amusing for some reason to argue with people that have such passionate beliefs that they make up "logical" reasons for them. Watching grammar, punctuation and spelling break down is kind of fun too :p
Now that said, I should probably cut it out before I get yelled at, so for now know that I'm laughing at every post, and try to work on grammar/spelling/punctuation for that paper :thup:

You two, the difference between you two and me, is despite being in a heated arguement which we clearly disagree, I was trying to explain my point of view, which I will confess I don't have the best attitude in the world, I tend to be blunt, some find it insulting, but I am delivering a point, backed with data. Data from objective sites, multiple of them. Views from majority forums, etc. You two just backed by your own feeble minds.

You two, are just picking a fight on the forum with those comments. Xeon_Ki thanked you for it too, grats. Bobnova has no more points, so he went down the grammar police road, which is very common for someone losing a debate, I understand. Denial is the most commonly predicted. :shrug:

Just to stay on topic:
My previous point was: GTX 680 <=> 7970GE in the gaming arena, but added features makes it better, and the OC edge doesn't matter to the majority as much, that is what makes sites like TechPowerUp good reviews sites. They have already conclusively showed my point, I need not say anything further. Things like Microstutter makes AMD currently a TERRIBLE choice for gaming, can't even PLAY on CFX, CFX they say they will fix, and when they do and had done, I will change my point there. Until then 7970GE has no future proof dual-GPU capability that the GTX680 has. til then. The Bf3 issue cause a drop in FPS, but nvidia already explained why they choose it that way for this driver on their forums, but I won't explain anymore, you will just exchange my generousity with insults. I was trying to explain to you three 'why' that is the case, but I suppose there's a clear mental barrier for the 3 of you, you folks not even debating anymore, but of course, ED and BN has this 'I am holier than thou' attitude, why will they listen? disgusting.

I have no intention to 'continue a fight' at your own, low level. But I am obviously very disappointed at you so called 'Senior Posters', all I see there is a display of immaturity, and unwillingness to discuss, and unwilling to accept a view that's vastly accepted on other forums and the majority. Though in each forum, there are always people like you two, though it tends to be 'a wild noob appears', not 'a wild senior poster appears'. If you two had stuck to the discussion, use valid points and data to discuss, if the data is undeniable, guess what, I will accept, (if you have such data), but cause you have none, cannot prove me wrong either, so you just went fullretard instead. I back up almost ALL my posts with site data, views, reviews. I even include points that contradicts my view, to stay objective. Like saying things on the lines of, "Some sites says AMD better, I don't dispute that, it is the full average of the database that's meaningful, and the average of all data says they are about the same."

If you cannot see the points from my previous talks, and want to go down the insulting route, you can do that all day, and show everyone how immature you are. I have the maturity to stay ON TOPIC, despite poor attitudes on the internet. Now seeing our 'quarrel' doesn't really interest this forum at all, or it is good for other posters, I will stop right here.

oh. Live Long, and Prosper.

Last edited:
He who stones the first throw shouldn't glass in a house live, or something.

I can't quite help myself, I just have to quote what makes TPU a good review site in your eyes:
My previous point was: GTX 680 <=> 7970GE in the gaming arena, but added features makes it better, and the OC edge doesn't matter to the majority as much, that is what makes sites like TechPowerUp good reviews sites. They have already conclusively showed my point, I need not say anything further.
Beautiful!
TPU is a good site because they agree with you :D

I think you missed the post(s) where I explained my point of view. Either that or you read 'em and ignored them completely because they don't align with your point of view.
If you want your points taken seriously, take other people's points seriously.

If you think we don't know the difference between floating point and integer... lol.

Beautiful!
TPU is a good site because they agree with you :D

not only them, many more.
and you keep missing my point. some sites agree with me, some disagree. which is important.
you need to look at the FULL database to see how it true is. Then it is that OC edge, which we disagree, and you and I both have a point.
BUT You explained 'Your view', with no data back up, therefore while I accept 'your view' (with respect),
I fail to see how 'your view' is more important than the database of plenty gaming reviews.

I am not like you, I won't waste time, looking through paragraphs, insulting people on grammar, etc.
that's just.. well.. immature dude. How else i can describe it? :shrug: senior poster eh?

and yes, as for now, if you can't even understand this concept, I find it hard to believe you understand how integer vs floating point calculations can be.
I would love to debate about it.. but then you grow up a little I guess.

and yes, as for now, if you can't even understand this concept, I find it hard to believe you understand how integer vs floating point calculations can be.

Can you explain this sentence?
Can be what?
Different? Performed? Purple? Can exist at all? ("How can this be"?) Done at differing speeds on differing GPU architectures? Are you talking single precision or double precision? What size integer?

You clearly are not like me, lol. I think that's fairly obvious.
My grammar suggestion is helpful: The more mature your writing looks, the more people will take you seriously.

I'd say that efficiency (performance per watt) is what AMD skimps on to reduce their prices.

Yes, and therefore, more heat, and henceforth again, a less lengthy lifespan.

I would call a company trying to extend lifetime by making it more efficient, a better quality brand than one that skimps on efficiency to grab up more of the market at a lower price.

But that's just me, It's not my fault if people have low standards for products =P

More heat != runs hotter.
Running hot shortens lifespans (we are talking hot here, though. Not 80c), producing heat does not.

Back