• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 4770K - Haswell - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Intel's clock keeps ticking and tocking like...um...clockwork. Today we have a big fat tock for you in the form of Intel's new microarchitecture, code-named Haswell. It manifests itself in our hands as the brand new 4th generation Intel Core processor, the i7 4770K.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking chip and great review. going to convince the wife to put this on our grocery list this week.

"One of the biggest practical changes is that LLC is essentially a thing of the past. The voltage you set will pretty much be the voltage you apply. While motherboard vendors may still include the option, in our testing, the voltage holds constant right where you tell it to."

So Haswell is no longer using Intel's long standard "vdroop" design implementation? I suppose this is related to the new on-chip vrm design?

nice review. i'm curious what you did to get it up to 4.8, as the news on the web today is 4.5 seems to be the limit for these chips. THG had to go through 12 i7's to get one to 4.7.

Also it seems from other reviewers that power drain is actually higher in HS over IB... is that true?

Polroger, yes that is correct.

Azanimefan, as noted, I used a water loop and just under 1.3V to reach 4.8GHz stable. I also mentioned but should reiterate that 1.3V is at or past the capability of many air and all-in-one coolers.

I don't want to misquote myself, but look through the review and guide and you'll find where I mentioned the new average overclock numbers. IIRC, 4.6-4.6 is average, 4.7-4.8 at 1.25V (better than our sample) is considered a good chip.

fantastic review as always, hokie!

A little disappointed in the chips having cold bugs again! :(

Time to save up for a 4770k and maybe an ASRock OC Formula.

Last edited:
Dang, I want one of these, but I also know that early silicon almost always clocks worse than the later retail chips. I've been spoiled by my 6.7 max 3770k, from what you're saying it would take approximately a 6.4-6.5 haswell to match that. :-/

Edit: And in terms of pricing, we're looking around $350 for the 4770k? Or are the prices quoted in the review the retail prices?

I guess that the best thing is to wait for the 4820k and see how it performs. Hope it's released in early September...

Intel did a nice job, both on the cpu and the gpu performance. In fact, according to anandtech, AMD now isn't competing on any front, aside from price.

This concerns me. What can NVIDIA and AMD do if intel makes their prices sane? Even the nvidia 650m is closely trailed by Iris pro.

This post is kinda jumbled, sorry.

Thanks for the excellent review Hokie!

so motherboards are going to matter for mem speed with Ocing....

I have been busy gaming...anyone know when USB sleep bug is going to be fixed on mobos and how to tell?

I use sleep all the time, so will annoy me to much.

As noted, I used a water loop and just under 1.3V to reach 4.8GHz stable. I also mentioned but should reiterate that 1.3V is at or past the capability of many air and all-in-one coolers.

yeah... that's in line with what i've been reading elsewhere. I must have missed it while skimming (everyone else had to release their reviews at the same time), i'll go back and re-read it.

I've got to say, overall this isn't much of a Tock. The jump from SB to IB showed better numbers across the board then this jump from IB to HW. Depending on the reviews and benches we're seeing something like a 5%-10% improvement and a lower overclock headroom then you get out of IB and more power drain and $20-$30 price increase across their lineup?

generally speaking i'd call this a giant disappointment on the desktop.

Maybe delidding it will result in better overclock numbers but I've got to say this is looking more like a part that's designed for laptops (as the laptop numbers are supposed to be fairly impressive) while the desktop improvement was sorta forgotten along the way

(since there is little competition from AMD here, i guess we shouldn't be surprised they'd basically ignore any real improvement in the desktop market, with the price increase it's almost like they're actually making room for AMD cpus in the desktop market, so the company can survive a few more years)

Not sure what all the slobbering is about. I too think Haswell is disappointing for desktops after looking at it here, Toms and Anandtech. There has been little improvement since Sandy Bridge. But I get why. AMD is cornered and Intel has no reason to do more than this. If AMD had a product within a mile of reaching Intel's best, then we might actually see some real innovation.

Poo.....

I think hokie said it perfect when talking about the cinebench numbers.

The 4770k (OC) beats the kilobuck 3960x.

Enough said on that.

You compared an overclocked processor to a non overclocked processor?

Lol I should like to see OC'ed 3970x vs OC'ed 4770k...

ThanKs for the nice review!

But well, overall a bit disapointed... Was planning on getting one this month, but might as well grab a used 3770k: 4.8 with a custom loop is a bit meh.

I am on the same line as SteveLord.

Back