• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 4770K - Haswell - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Top review as always... I especially liked how "non-chalantly" the fact that Hokie has a M-VI-E was dropped a few times in the review... As if telling us he has CPUs we can't get yet wasn't enough; we also have to envy his mobo collection... :)

Annnnd... Let's not forget that whole "I put a Titan in my HTPC because I have no other place to use it" gem from a couple months ago. :cool:

Last edited:
Well, I believe, if yu are on a tight budget, it's better to get a used SB/IB for 60/65% of the price.

Not good enough to pay premium for 5% IPC increase. And HUGE temp!

Yikes, 10°C more than IB is a lot! These chips were already running bloody hot. And as it's explained in the review, it has nothing to do with IHS, but it's because oif the integrated voltage regulator.

I hate hot running chips.

Looks like my next build will be Xeons too =P

Go go EVGA SR-4

Good review. +1 I think the increased heat by 10c is due to the integrated voltage regulator.

How do you recommend upgrading from Sandybridge? I can see upgrading from the original corei5/i7 but still cant justify an upgrade path from SB, especially when you dont recommend an upgrade from IB (IB wasnt much over SB).

I too am a bit disappointed.

+2 After reading allot of reviews I find the gaming increase from SB to Haswell to be insignificant. The thing I find most troubling is the overclocking to be vary much the luck of the draw and most sites are only talking 4.3GHz to 4.6GHz if your lucky,do to the integrated VRM.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/06/01/intel_haswell_i74770k_ipc_overclocking_review/6
QUOTE: From all the feedback that I am getting through motherboard makers about Haswell overclocking, the basic thread at this time in terms of getting "high overclocks" seems to be, "You need to have a good CPU." ASUS has tested a couple hundred Haswell processors at this time and this is ASUS’ specific feedback from that overclock testing.

70% of CPUs can clock to 4.5GHz

30% of CPUs can clock to 4.6GHz

20% of CPUs can clock to 4.7GHz

10% of CPUs can to 4.8GHz

Overall you will find most CPUs capable of reaching 44x to 45x with varying levels of voltage.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-19.html

QUOTE: And although it appears we received fairly overclockable samples of the -4770K, industry consensus amongst the companies with hundreds of these chips on-hand is that, at safe input voltages, 4.3 or 4.4 GHz should be OK. The luckiest enthusiasts might get 4.5 or 4.6 GHz. Skill won’t get you far; Haswell is all about luck of the draw due to its integrated voltage regulator.

Last edited:
Great review...
Haswell looks great, especially on the efficiency and graphics end of things. It's just not quite worth it to upgrade from Sandy for me though... maybe next time.

Anyone else find it strange that there was a big jump in performance from the 1st gen to 2nd gen i5/i7, yet the jump from 2nd to 4th gen is smaller?

Without some serious engineering/physics breakthroughs I suspect that small increases are going to be the norm for some time to come.

Back