• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 4770K - Haswell - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry all, I was out of town and tried to keep up, but it seems I missed some.
I have been busy gaming...anyone know when USB sleep bug is going to be fixed on mobos and how to tell?
Sorry to say I don't know. I heard rumors of a fall chipset stepping change, but don't have a clue where or whether it was accurate. TBH, focusing on performance, I completely forgot about this issue and didn't even mention it in the review.
How do you recommend upgrading from Sandybridge? I can see upgrading from the original corei5/i7 but still cant justify an upgrade path from SB, especially when you dont recommend an upgrade from IB (IB wasnt much over SB).

I too am a bit disappointed.
oc-haswell-graph-overall-scored.jpg

That's how. I agree IVB wasn't worth upgrading from SNB, likewise I agree Haswell isn't worth upgrading from IVB. Combine the two incremental increases and, if you use your CPU for things like rendering and video conversion (not so much compression, at least with 7zip), it adds up to a decent upgrade. If you're not looking to upgrade, don't; that's fine too. If you are considering an upgrade, I think Haswell is at least worth considering if a person is coming from SNB.

+2 After reading allot of reviews I find the gaming increase from SB to Haswell to be insignificant. The thing I find most troubling is the overclocking to be vary much the luck of the draw and most sites are only talking 4.3GHz to 4.6GHz if your lucky,do to the integrated VRM.
4.4-4.5 GHz can be expected per ASUS. Higher than that is luck of the draw. SNB was really the last chip we had relative consistence below 5 GHz. IVB was a crapshoot too and led to many benchers spending a boatload of money and time to bin the things. Overclocking has always been luck of the draw, we were just spoiled with SNB. :)

Top review as always... I especially liked how "non-chalantly" the fact that Hokie has a M-VI-E was dropped a few times in the review... As if telling us he has CPUs we can't get yet wasn't enough; we also have to envy his mobo collection... :)

Annnnd... Let's not forget that whole "I put a Titan in my HTPC because I have no other place to use it" gem from a couple months ago. :cool:

Haha, amusing.

But really, I'm not sure...

asus-m6e-ocpanel-07.jpg

...what you're...

asus-m6e-ocpanel-11.jpg

...talking about?

asus-m6e-67.jpg

:shrug:

:p

MUCH better than OC Key. TBH, I never used the OCKey outside of the reviews. It was neat and I can see why some liked it (changing clocks while benching 3D for instance), but ease of use just wasn't there. This one I do and will use with great frequency.

Oh, and since the gag order is lifted, I can now report all ROG boards have the OC Panel header. While it is included with the Extreme, it will be available separately for purchase to use with any of the ROG Z87 boards, even the entry-ROG Maximus VI Hero.

wow, that's awesome man!

I wish they came pre-conformaled ala the ASrock boards, but it sure is wetting my whistle looking at that MVIE.

MUCH better than OC Key. TBH, I never used the OCKey outside of the reviews. It was neat and I can see why some liked it (changing clocks while benching 3D for instance), but ease of use just wasn't there. This one I do and will use with great frequency.

Oh, and since the gag order is lifted, I can now report all ROG boards have the OC Panel header. While it is included with the Extreme, it will be available separately for purchase to use with any of the ROG Z87 boards, even the entry-ROG Maximus VI Hero.

Hopefully more available than the 4xSLI and/or OC Panel bits were for the R3E.
They were listed, but never in stock anywhere.

You better get yourself a lot of LN2 and get Hokie, else the benching team is going to raid your house someday :sn:

i want and will upgrade my d2d e8400 at 4ghz for the haswell 4.6ghz so i can skip alot of upcoming generations again to bad you boys have been buying the sandy or ivy:facepalm:

muhahahahahahaahaha:rofl:

ps: great review it helped me to decided on the 4770k and not the 4760k:clap:

I don't care what they come with. I just want the ability to buy one! :cry:

Last edited:
I will definitely be getting rid of my skt775 server within the next few months and moving it over to Haswell. Just for the power savings.

so we have an interesting report out of the UK, that Haswell runs even hotter then the reviews and early reports. Apparently, the thinking goes... that Intel cherry picked the best CPUs and sent them out to reviewers... because the comertial products are running into far bigger heat issues and much worse overclocks.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/382267/intel-haswell-hotter-and-slower-than-expected

Apparently the pc makers are claiming they can't even get to 4.2 on most chips... one quoting that he went through 50 just to overclock a chip up to 4.3... that many can't even go over the 4.0ghz turbo on air (which seems to mesh with a rumor i heard, which was that 2 in 12 haswell have overheated and blew up just on the turbo and a stock heatsink)... and that 4.5 seems to be the absolute limit for any of these chips.

Anyone have any commercial haswell experience to verify or quash these rumors?

Gotta say I'd be surprised, personally.
I haven't heard much about full retail purchased chips yet in the benching world, I'm keeping an eye on it though.

PolRoger is using a retail CPU with solid results. Check the Haswell guide thread.

2 out of 12 over heating... wouldn't that also be 1 in 6? :clap:

" that 2 in 12 haswell have overheated and blew up just on the turbo and a stock heatsink"

iv'e read about these rumors, but no one can substantiate it... "my friends did it man!"

2 out of 12 over heating... wouldn't that also be 1 in 6? :clap:

" that 2 in 12 haswell have overheated and blew up just on the turbo and a stock heatsink"

iv'e read about these rumors, but no one can substantiate it... "my friends did it man!"

yeah... i think the 2 out of 12 was a legit 12 chips tested with 2 blowing up... the wording seemed strange to me too. I was temped to reword it, but that would be changing what i heard.

Anyone have any commercial haswell experience to verify or quash these rumors?

My HS sample is stronger than the few IB chips that I've tested...

It is still early... So we'll have to see how the overclocking "bell curve" shakes out with this new generation.

Attachments

• i7-4770K 4.5GHz DDR3-2600 AIDA Stress.PNG
    i7-4770K 4.5GHz DDR3-2600 AIDA Stress.PNG
    101 KB · Views: 115
Back