• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great guide!
Quick comment, disabling hyper threading made a substantial impact on temps for me.
Asus Z87-Deluxe
650D
H110

Got it to 45x100 @ 1.29v stable
Temps under AIDA64 are on average high 60's with spikes to low 80's.
With hyper enabled spikes were low 90's.

I'm surprised HT makes that much of a temp difference, that explains my temps
Going to play with it some more tonight, if I can't get the clocks to improve I think i'll end up returning and just getting an 4770k.
Bleh

Oh yes... usually its on the order or 7-10C in my experiences. But, not disabling something I paid for, ya know?!

You said it, would drive me crazy!

One other thing I noticed...
above were my prime 95 temps, both blend and small fft, but when I ran IBT on maximum.
Was clipping along @ 66c, then wham! 99c and it started throttling.

Was not expecting that, as my 8120 was the same temps no matter if it were prime/ibt/occt

IBT = INTEL Burn Test. I guess its 'for' Intel CPU's so maybe it can stress them out more it seems.

Yes i am too getting some crazy spikes all seems ok then boom it starts spitting fire.....

I now have problems with random bsod on stock having to stop any benching now to find the root of this...

system seems to halt then ok then bsod
debugging the dmp files im getting this

ntoskrnl.exe had this a few times now
&
iusb3xhc.sys which is a new one

Null.SYS Null.SYS+4842f50 fffff880`011bb000 fffff988`011c4000 0x0000010800009000 0x4a5bc109 14/07/2009 00:19:37

:(

How much more performance (benchmarks and real world apps) is Haswell over Sandybridge pushed to the limits?

Also HW LGA 1150 vs SB 2011?

Just trying to get a feeling of how much better, not newer, HW > SB.

I'm most likely going with high-end air. Might consider water if it's a good bang for the buck in performance increases.

The 2011 is included in the comparisons here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...74770k_ipc_overclocking_review/3#.UbCfxpxn3_g

In general, Haswell is better than a SB-E hex if the application uses 4c/8t or less since a SB-E hex using 4c/8t or less is just a SB (SB-E does have more cache than SB though). Haswell's TDP is also 35% less than hexcore SB-E CPUs.

I like it fine and have been using it since some of the manufacturers started recommending it for IB. However I still like to use Prime95 and or LinX/Intelburntest on a somewhat limited basis. I'm not one who like to flog my chip with long, long runs of stress tests.

Thanks PR.

Welcome back dudleycpa! You've about got the gist of it, it is relatively straightforward.

As to your vaguely remembered tidbit, that was from an ASUS overclocking guide. Here is a quite directly from their guide, which applies to CPUs that can acheive X GHz at 1.25V.

Again, that is at the 1.25V level. I have a 4.8 GHz CPU, but only at 1.3V and on a dedicated custom water loop. I doubt this CPU would be within the preferred thermal envelope on air.

Thanks for the update/links on the percentages and speeds.

I'm thinking that you need really good water or Extreme Air to even think about O/C.

If was going with a gaming only rig a 4670K might be the sweet spot for a "gaming O/C rig". I realize no Hyper-threading but again it is for gaming. Application wise it shouldn't be a "deal-breaker".

Anyone see any 4670K guides anywhere?:chair:

Thanks Again!

I'm sure the rules apply just the same as the 4770k.

One thing I would like to note about the 4c/4t vs 4c/8t is that with the new consoles coming out this fall (both of which are 8 cores), expect to see some games actually take advantage of more than 4 cores/threads.

Hell of a lot better than the 2 ES chips I have can do on mem. I can get em stable at 4.9 no prob but only if I drop mem to 2k or less. Really annoying when you have mem rated for 2800.. Basically it comes to how far you push your CPU. I can do 2400 @ 4.8 but have to drop to 2000 at 4.9.

I can run 32M and such at higher mem clocks but cinebench = insta bsod above 2k regardless of the timings and I/O voltages. Going to pick up a retail and see if IMC is better.
I haven't yet pushed beyond [email protected]... (not fully stable). I'll probably need my custom water setup to dial in a 4.8 overclock. On the memory front... I've only been able to run my 2x4gb (ds) Hynix CFR kit at DDR3-2800 and when I tried the 2933 ratio I was getting a 55 code? I don't currently have a (ss) Hynix MFR kit.

I like it fine and have been using it since some of the manufacturers started recommending it for IB. However I still like to use Prime95 and or LinX/Intelburntest on a somewhat limited basis. I'm not one who like to flog my chip with long, long runs of stress tests.

Here is a Cinebench @47x:

Last edited:
I'm sure the rules apply just the same as the 4770k.

One thing I would like to note about the 4c/4t vs 4c/8t is that with the new consoles coming out this fall (both of which are 8 cores), expect to see some games actually take advantage of more than 4 cores/threads.

Thanks for that - I was wondering about consoles too.

If 4770k and 4670K both work out the same then I'm a little bummed out.

Starting to think the new motherboards might be the best thing about Haswell.

Hell of a lot better than the 2 ES chips I have can do on mem. I can get em stable at 4.9 no prob but only if I drop mem to 2k or less. Really annoying when you have mem rated for 2800.. Basically it comes to how far you push your CPU. I can do 2400 @ 4.8 but have to drop to 2000 at 4.9.

I can run 32M and such at higher mem clocks but cinebench = insta bsod above 2k regardless of the timings and I/O voltages. Going to pick up a retail and see if IMC is better.

Yes... These chips don't seem to like running higher multi/mem/uncore speeds all at the same time. I guess everyone will behave a little different in this regard.

In some ways they remind me a little bit like the old Bloomfields... Where a good clocker that could run well with lower memory/uncore speeds was much more common then one that could overclock well while still running 2000(+) mem/4000(+) uncore.

Pushing mine sample a little higher...

Attachments

need to read up getting mine in tomorrow, but think I need to understand how to oc them before putting it on the ss/ln2

is there certain volts I don't wanna push to hard?

lol im getting 4.7ghz at 1.225 stable for awhile now, ive only had it for a few hours lol and using hyper212+ and running at 68 max temp

Back