• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tbh, i have not run into any trouble yet, my first attempt on a (dirty) overclock is so far a succes, i will try to get higer clocks with same voltage and see how that goes later today.

So what's the initial feedback from you guys on Haswell after you've had some time to play? Seems like lots of issues here and there. High OC CPU/MEM proving to be pretty difficult to obtained?
Depends on what you consider a 'high overclock and memory' really. I was running, which you should see on the front page shortly, 4.9GHz and 1200Mhz(2400) memory fully benchable through our test suite. But pushing further, since all the parts are essentially connected, would likely cause one to lower the memory speed. It just depends on the CPU.

So what's the initial feedback from you guys on Haswell after you've had some time to play? Seems like lots of issues here and there. High OC CPU/MEM proving to be pretty difficult to obtained?

I think once you're here you won't have a problem sourcing parts.

Overclocking? Too early to tell....

Has anyone seen the database results that is/was the frontpage?

There haven't been enough submissions to even get a feel for it. Three for each CPU so far.

Im using ES C0 chips so it doesnt reflect retail but haswell has been good for me. Have 4.9Ghz on both a 4670K and 4770K (high end H20) and dropping em to 4.8 allows me to run 2800 11-13-13 1T on memory. Maxing a chip out totally wreaks havock on what you can run for mem freq and uncore so I recommend finding absolute cpu max and then dropping by 100Mhz to optimize memory and uncore. Your benches will be the same in the end (or very close) with less voltage and heat.

What did you use to get 2800 stable? I've tried everything I can think of for the 4.8 + 2800 combo and it always crashes after ~10 minutes. 2600 is perfectly fine.

Uncore was what was screwing up my stability. I was running 4.8 uncore and stability was sketchy but dropping it to 4.6 did the trick. However, I think the main point is how close you are to maxing the cpu. If you are close to the max cpu clocks, high mem clocks are very tough to get. Like when I run 4.9 I have to drop mem below 2k for stability. My advice is to drop your cpu clock slightly and find the point where you can run 2800 on mem and within ~200 on uncore. It is just the nature of the architecture, you cant have everything at once without dropping cpu speed slightly.

VCCSA and I/O did nothing for me on the mem side to stabilize 2800 because ASUS did a good job with auto adjustments on those. However tonight I am going work on max mem clocks at lower CPU speeds so those voltages may come in handy in that case.

Cool, thanks; I'll give that a try then. Mine can run 4.9 stable, but the voltage was too high for my liking (prefer to stay at 1.3V).

VCCSA does a good job for me. I set-it-and-forget-it at 1.25V. Both IOs just screw me up if I try to set them manually. When pushing high speed mem (over 3000, which wasn't as easy as I figured it would be), I left digial I/O alone and added a little bit of analog I/O (~1.2V), which did help some.

I'm still fighting with bclk and straps on Z87X-OC. What is weird I was able to set 106MHz host/pcie clock and I made profile with these settings. It was working for about 5 restarts and later I couldn't make it boot above 103MHz, no matter if I used profile or not.

I don't have much time lately but I was playing some with memory. 1580MHz all on air so far. There was 1600MHz+ but I forgot to save it and later it couldn't boot :-/
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2830417

Pushed mem to 2933 at 4.8ghz and that is as far it would go regardless of timings and voltages. Going to try with another CPU to see if I can get 3k. Stable with everything from aida64 stability test, pcm8, cinebench, etc.

2933-1_zpsf98dee6d.png

Problem is I get better BW and bench scores at 2800 and 11-13-13 1T over 2933 and 12-14-14 1T so Ill prob stick with the 2800. Memory is the latest 2800 Trident kit from G.Skill.

Bw in AIDA64 3.0 is wild. Even at low CPU clocks I see 34GB/s+ read/write and copy. I don't know if there is some bug in new version but in v2.85 all was much lower.
My CPU sucks but I can make it stable @4.33GHz/4330 uncore and 3000+ memory.

While I'm typing this post my memory is running like that:
http://valid.canardpc.com/2830768
:bday:

Noticed that as well, BW numbers are all over the map. I've been relying on latency more than BW because it is more consistent.

Imo, its easier easier to clock mfr ss >3000 with 125 strap.

If clocking >145 bclk then probably more stable with 167 strap

3100z.png

Last edited:
Back