• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depending on board and cpu's imc it seems easier to clock 4X4, especially with M6E which has ram presets for base settings.

A little bit harder with board like M6Hero because of more tweaking involved to find specific ram settings manually.

Thanks Hokie:)

Awesome review:thup:

Last edited:
Unlikely to find any board in a similar class to the m6e in regards to memory presets... The m5e was quite impressive with its selection.

Not anything special with actual memory overclocking, but the presets are a convenient head start to customize off of.

One thing I find critically important for benching, that isn't compared anywhere I know of... I almost forgot myself... Extreme tweaking setting (3d01 score boost), and superpi optimization (superpi speed boost). I don't know what those options change, but they are a distinct advantage on the mvg and mve. Those still present on the m6 series? Any other board have those? They make a difference for efficiency, helping not a ton, but enough to matter.

I just started to get a hold on mem. clocking and still more to learn with 3D settings and features on M6E. Yes, the extreme tweaking is in there too.

It will be interesting to compare it with the OCF boards from Asrock which seem tuned specific for memory clocking.

Last edited:
Yes IMOG, the extreme tweak is still on the M6E. Not sure about anything specific to superpi.

On the MVE/MVG, depending on BIOS perhaps, it was called SPI booster... Something to keep an eye out for I suppose. (or ask JJ about... I sent Shamino an email and will update with what I hear back)

You guys will make me feel bad going with the oc...maybe for a daily driver, and then save for a M6E or OCF if the giga sucks hehe.

It is only presets. The OC is a solid board and I wouldn't be jealous of it for those... the presets on the M5E helped a little with memory, but I still changed everything to tweak things in for SP32M.

Last edited:
I know...not sure if the spi booster thing makes such a big difference or if I can't tweak my way through to beat guys using it but well, I gotta get a GB board cause of warranty coverage anyway and I happen to like the OC. (only quirk seems to be the debug led spot, and that the buttons need some drivers installed)

I guess the key is that the 3000 mem divider doesnt work. That was my issue before, I was trying to use the 3000 divider instead of 2933 + bclk or 125 strap.
Imo, its easier easier to clock mfr ss >3000 with 125 strap.

If clocking >145 bclk then probably more stable with 167 strap

Hah, I fell for that one too. Even emailed G.Skill before facepalming hard when I figured it out and quickly emailing a retraction. :)

That was in the package of my MPower MAX. I was personally hesitant to share that as it is highly unlikely anythng can be run with much more than 1.3v on air. Perhaps Pifast or SPi 1M, but nothing that maxes out all cores/threads. I really believe, at least out of the two 4770K's I have, that the voltage limit for air to be able to run anything on it is around 1.3v. At 1.5v+ you may not even want to be in the bios under air with the small load there...

Got that 3k I was after. Think there is more headroom, still 1.65v.

Nice!... DRAM still @1.65v... What kit are you using? MFR ic?

Would you mind sharing your voltage settings for that bench? I'm able to boot into Windows at 2933 but as I increase bclk towards 3000 I start getting 55 code. I'm running a "deluxe" as well... Although it is possible that my chip's IMC is limited to ~2933 or maybe it is my current kit that is holding me back? :shrug:

Using this kit:

P1030818_zps78dee7a1.jpg

Brand new from G.Skill, built for Haswell last month. I cant say the chips but you can prob figure it out...

1.20v on system agent and make sure your trfc isnt too tight.. But it is more about finding a balance between cpu, uncore, mem that works to get stability at high cpu clocks. A lot comes down to IMC as well but I couldnt get 3k for a while so keep working on it and it may come. I found that adding vdimm didnt do a whole lot but I do hope to squeeze a little more with more vdimm when I have some time to work on it.

I also have a 2666 Trident kit that I have to try that came out with IB release.

Using this kit:

Brand new from G.Skill, built for Haswell last month. I cant say the chips but you can prob figure it out...

1.20v on system agent and make sure your trfc isnt too tight.. But it is more about finding a balance between cpu, uncore, mem that works to get stability at high cpu clocks. A lot comes down to IMC as well but I couldnt get 3k for a while so keep working on it and it may come. I found that adding vdimm didnt do a whole lot but I do hope to squeeze a little more with more vdimm when I have some time to work on it.

I also have a 2666 Trident kit that I have to try that came out with IB release.

"1400" series should be d/s Hynix CFR ic... Which I thought might be the case since your trfc was lower than the MFR runs that I've seen. Will that kit also run 2800 11-13-13-35 @1.65? or maybe even 2933C11 @1.65(+)?

Yeah... I'm not even trying to push memory with higher multi(s)... Currently testing/running multi @39x to ~44x with cache/uncore running from 1/1 down to auto's default of 39x.

Yep sure will and 2800 at 11-13-13 1T and tightened secondaries is actually better perf wise than 3000 12-14-14 2T. Once you get up at that 3k range you have to loosen up too much for it to be worth it.

manual2_zps94d80ef1.png

Drop uncore below 1:1, stability is tough at 1:1. I do 200Mhz less and it is way easier to work with.

"1400" series should be d/s Hynix CFR ic... Which I thought might be the case since your trfc was lower than the MFR runs that I've seen. Will that kit also run 2800 11-13-13-35 @1.65? or maybe even 2933C11 @1.65(+)?

Yeah... I'm not even trying to push memory with higher multi(s)... Currently testing/running multi @39x to ~44x with cache/uncore running from 1/1 down to auto's default of 39x.

Back