• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dropped uncore a good bit (from 4700 to 4500) and finally got the RAM to cooperate at over 2600 with the CPU at 4800. This is with the RAM running at XMP (other than me changing CR to 1T). CPU @ 4.8GHz & 1.3V. I didn't touch anything else - all other voltages are on "Auto", but supplied in the AISuite screenshot for reference. :)

oc-m6e-4800-2933-stable.jpg

oc-m6e-4800-2933-volages.jpg

Now, I don't know what sort of performance sacrifice it makes dropping uncore by 200 MHz. I'll leave that testing to someone with more time. Consider this just a proof of concept, easy to obtain on the new beta UEFI. ;)

I can use the 125 MHz strap, bump VCCSA to 1.23V and boot at 4.75GHz / DDR3-3000, but it's not stable. Yet. :p

Dropped uncore a good bit (from 4700 to 4500) and finally got the RAM to cooperate at over 2600 with the CPU at 4800. This is with the RAM running at XMP (other than me changing CR to 1T). CPU @ 4.8GHz & 1.3V. I didn't touch anything else - all other voltages are on "Auto", but supplied in the AISuite screenshot for reference. :)

oc-m6e-4800-2933-stable.jpg

oc-m6e-4800-2933-volages.jpg

Now, I don't know what sort of performance sacrifice it makes dropping uncore by 200 MHz. I'll leave that testing to someone with more time. Consider this just a proof of concept, easy to obtain on the new beta UEFI. ;)

I can use the 125 MHz strap, bump VCCSA to 1.23V and boot at 4.75GHz / DDR3-3000, but it's not stable. Yet. :p

Duly noted kind sir! Appreciate you posting so well with such "fine minutiae":thup:

Dare I ask who is writing the guide:chair: (In due time)

I was up in the air between the ASUS something Pro and the Gigabyte GZ-Z87X-UD4. The Microcenter was out of the Asus board, so I got the Gigabyte . . . and now I can't see anything like an Adaptive Voltage setting.

Is there an Adaptive Voltage setting on a Gigabyte board? Or did I make a strategic error in board-buying?

It is a platform feature, so it should be in there somewhere. You should see three voltage options when setting vcore - manual, offset and then whatever gigabyte calls adaptive.

It is a platform feature, so it should be in there somewhere. You should see three voltage options when setting vcore - manual, offset and then whatever gigabyte calls adaptive.

Can't find it, which is why I asked. Any way to ask Gigabyte? I put in a request on their tech support system. I'll post what I get. But sometime they aren't so helpful.

Seems as if the function could be put in the BIOS if it's not there now.

Another question: my 4770k seems capable of being stable at 4.7GHz. What multiplier should I set it to if I want Turbo Boost to carry it to 4.7?

MIT/Advanced Voltage Settings/CPU Core Voltage Control.

Check there for adaptive setting.

Once you manually set the CPU core ratio, the turbo boost no longer works. The only time Turbo Boost will work is when the CPU is set to it's default speed of 3.5 GHz, then Turbo boost will kick it up to 3.9 When under load.

So I found something that may be a discrepancy or maybe an error in the ASRock software.

In the guide you recommend to put CPU Input voltage between 1.15-1.2, the lowest I can set using the ASRock software is 1.2, and it starts/defaults at 1.7v.

Default VCCIN should be around ~1.8v... I've tested briefly down to ~1.6v. Some say that bumping it up to 2.0v or 2.2v can help when running higher cpu/cache multi (i.e. sub-ambient). I've been running mostly on (ASUS/auto) ~1.79v.

Attachments

• vrin.png
    vrin.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 275
So I found something that may be a discrepancy or maybe an error in the ASRock software.

In the guide you recommend to put CPU Input voltage between 1.15-1.2, the lowest I can set using the ASRock software is 1.2, and it starts/defaults at 1.7v.

I think that's a typo in the guide. Maybe he meant Vcore (for air cooling) instead :shrug:

If I put CPU input voltage in there anywhere it was a typo. Please let me know specifically where it's at (direct quote) and I'll search & fix it.

In the "Tips and Tricks To Get That Extra MHz" section...
  • You now have the option to manually define the CPU’s input voltage. If you do so, keep it at max 1.15 V to 1.2 V.

That bullet sounds like you meant to talk about CPU input voltage since changing vcore isn't a new option. You just put the wrong values.

If you lowered your cpu cache speed even more... 41x/42x/43x you could probably stabilize higher memory speeds while running reduced volts on both CPU Cache and CPU SA. I suppose for benchmarking purposes running higher cache speeds will provide somewhat better scores than lower cache speeds but for those people looking for a nice stable running daily overclock the use of a lower cache multi might provide a better option?

4.6GHz 41x cache DDR3-2800C12 (Team 2666C11 MFR) Rosetta load ~5+ hrs.
4.6GHz 42x cache DDR3-2933C12 (Team 2666C11 MFR) SuperPi 32M

Attachments

• i7-4770K 4.6GHz DDR3-2800C12 Rosetta load.PNG
    i7-4770K 4.6GHz DDR3-2800C12 Rosetta load.PNG
    135.5 KB · Views: 262
  • i7-4770K 4.6GHz DDR3-2933C12 SuperPi 32M.PNG
    i7-4770K 4.6GHz DDR3-2933C12 SuperPi 32M.PNG
    118.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Great guide! lots of good info in there :) Hopefully before the end of the weekend I will have my chip under the SS to see how far it can go. :)

I think it's a bit high personally. I would stick to 1.3 or lower on Haswell. I temd to be pretty conservative for 24/7 voltages though.

Jury may still be out on what voltage is "safe". In general in my very humble opinion I wouldn't go over 1.4v. If I could run say 1.35v @ 4.7Ghz I would certainly do that.

I don't own a 4670K/4770K so I can't test this out myself. If I could I would for where the voltages and temperatures start to rise with little to be gained frequency wise.

I don't know where I saw this but system builders apparently don't want to go above 4.4Ghz. That should tell you something.

One last thing - it doesn't seem that the 4670k is any better or worse than the 4770K. The graphs on the first post show about 100mhz difference with voltages being similar.

Sorry for the long winded post :)

Hey Hokie, was reading through the guide again today and in the Bclk section the table with RAM speed calculations is empty for the 2nd two columns for RAM speed.

Going to give this another shot soon with my 4770k

OC gigabyte Z87 + I5 4670K

Very nice review!

I have following config:
Intel Core i5 4670K
Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP
Scythe Mugen 3 PC Games Hardware Edition
Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU 8 Gig

Vcore is on 1.21
4.4Ghz stable
Memory on 1600Mhz (8-9-9-21) stable (V1.5)

I made it up to 4.6Ghz. with 1.25 Vcore (but unstable)
I was able to set my ram on 1866Mhz, but with optimized defaults, when I ran my stable overclock in combination with 1866, blue screens during Hyper-Pi.

one question:
how do I set adaptive voltage on my gigabyte mobo?
I think it is some of the options in Intel Smart Boost, but I don't know which I need to set...

second question:
Is it possible for me to set the voltage of the memory on 1.65 and retry setting 1866mhz? Also the system agent on a gigabyte mobo isn't a fix value, but only plus or minus a value. Is it safe to set it +0.1 (the difference between 1.15 and 1.25)?

Back