• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Preparing Ivy Bridge-E for September Release

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No... It'll replace SandyBridge-E processor lineup, which runs on the 2011 socket. IvyBridge-E will also run on the 2011 socket.

The 1150 socket released about 2 weeks ago.

So does this mean 1150 is a dead socket?

Errm no. Socket 1150 likely has at least one more round of CPUs upcoming. Ivy Bridge E replaces the enthusiast line of sandy bridge E processors.

Edit: ATM beat me to it

I know it just came out. I have the 4770k/1150. I was being sarcastic in a way. Gone are the days where there are 20 different cpu's for one particular socket. Maybe if I'm lucky Intel will make a 14nm Broadwell for 1150....

Right now, Intel's track record is to have two generations of CPUs on one socket. So, most likely, the next desktop chip will also be on 1150.

The SB-E and IB-E are on a different socket from the desktop chips because of RAM/PCIe lanes.

Yup, for regular water/air overclockers, big one.
(some) Delidded Ivy chips could run 5ghz+ as daily oc's no problem with temperatures in check...If they had soldered those, well, you know how it goes :p
Artificial market segmentation at its finest.

Yeah, if those were soldered, you'd see SB-like clocks everywhere again.

Yup...this pisses me off, and yeah, many benchers will say there's no real problem with that since you can still overclock using ln2 (and in fact, delidding normally hurts ln2 oc's) but still, this is either clear manipulation of the consumer markets, deliverately hampering mainstream chips OR maybe they couldn't solder 22nm parts till now (which I have a hard time believing)

4820k ???? are we sure not just 4820, without the K?

Yup...this pisses me off, and yeah, many benchers will say there's no real problem with that since you can still overclock using ln2 (and in fact, delidding normally hurts ln2 oc's) but still, this is either clear manipulation of the consumer markets, deliverately hampering mainstream chips OR maybe they couldn't solder 22nm parts till now (which I have a hard time believing)

@trueblack - we sure: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-4820K.html

I don't know if it is deliverable, premeditated, clear manipulation, of the prosumer market. It seem that Moore's Law (what was it 12 months). Intel I believe quoted 24 months. Is broken. :cry:

I don't want to bore anyone with boring/dated history lessons (we're all adults here) Look up Alan Turing - great read!

this makes the 4820k the best buy easily.

having less core means can use higher voltage for faster base clock.
might be the best one to OC with.

that's why I wonder is it really unlocked... this might cannibalize the market for 4930k

IMO, I highly doubt it would cannibalize the market for 4930K. I mean, think about it. Nobody should be buying a quad on this platform really as it offers no benefits over Haswell at this time (outside of additional PCIe lanes for tri/quad CFx/SLI). In fact, it is likely it will be slower like IB is to Haswell currently. I mean quad channel memory bandwidth is shown to be a non factor, so why would one go quad core CPU over Haswell there? To pay more for the entire system? I can't say I would understand such a move personally.

IMO, I highly doubt it would cannibalize the market for 4930K. I mean, think about it. Nobody should be buying a quad on this platform really as it offers no benefits over Haswell at this time (outside of additional PCIe lanes for tri/quad CFx/SLI). In fact, it is likely it will be slower like IB is to Haswell currently. I mean quad channel memory bandwidth is shown to be a non factor, so why would one go quad core CPU over Haswell there? To pay more for the entire system? I can't say I would understand such a move personally.

quite true.

Intel should have launched IB-e FIRST.

then launch Haswell..

the reverse order does feel like it makes no sense.

Back