• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC (GTX 760) Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Here we are again folks, towards or at the end of a 'new' card series from NVIDIA. This time around, we will be reviewing MSI's N760 TF 2GD5/OC. Otherwise known as GTX 760. This card, according to NVIDIA, is supposed to be a GTX 660 Ti replacement, and compete with the HD 7950. What is weird is that I always thought the 670 competes with the HD 7950, but their marketing has it performing well against a HD 7950. We will see what magic MSI has done to their version of the card, and as always, see how it stands up performance wise.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Great job on the review Joe!

We've got several more of these in the works right now too. :)

I'm considering a SLI of these (little) beasts after reading a review. Although, a 4GB version (e.g. the EVGA FTW) is probably better.

Depends on the resolution. If tri-monitor, my personal inclination would be to go 7950 with its 3GB vRAM but more notably its 384bit bus.

Depends on the resolution. If tri-monitor, my personal inclination would be to go 7950 with its 3GB vRAM but more notably its 384bit bus.

1440p, not tri-monitor.

Maybe you don't remember, but I need CUDA to test some code before running it on a server. The stock EVGA 4GB is $290, hope the FTW will be not more than 310/320.

Moreover, I'm not exactly an AMD fan :)

I don't recall, no. Single monitor 256bit is fine and does ok into tri really. I am a fan of the best performance for my dollar and needs. Brand plays no role for any of my purchases. :)

I don't recall, no. Single monitor 256bit is fine and does ok into tri really. I am a fan of the best performance for my dollar and needs. Brand plays no role for any of my purchases. :)

Consider changing job from the water company to the electricity one, my (possible) SLI will help you :D

The 670 competes with the 7970, lol

attachment.php

I just don't understand why would Nvidia claim that it would perform "between 7950 and 7970" while it clearly doesn't. I mean do they really expect people not to run benchmarks themselves?

What is weird is that I always thought the 670 competes with the HD 7950, but their marketing has it performing well against a HD 7950.

My bad I put it out of context lol

That the reviewer said that the 670 competes with the 7950, which is not true it competes with a 7970, and that relates to the fact the 760 is to replace on the 660ti's level, so it would make sense that the 760 competes with the 7950 and not the 670...lol

Market wise, it does...performance wise, which is NOT what that excerpt was about, you are correct.

680/7970
670/7950
660ti/7870

etc...

EDIT: I guess I put it in a, at the time, bucket like top single GPU Nvidia vs top single GPU AMD and so on down the line.

Nice review, EarthDog!

But how can Nvidia PR possibly get these results when running benchmarks? LOL

Being serious, its a darn good question. We have looked long and deep at ourselves and our testing and have retested and have come up with the same results across different people and different systems (same base 4770k though). Personally I would like to know the EXACT settings Nvidia uses to get those results and test them ourselves. There must be something in our settings and benchmarks we happen to use compared to them that makes it work out that way. The only two common games are BF3 and Batman:AC. Batman is a good test as it is a canned benchmark that is 100% repeatable and settings are clear...

To me, in looking around at other results for this card (and the 770), its a hit or miss but leaning towards the Nvidia side. AS for the 760, its priced well for its performance IMO.

Last edited:
would not suprise me one bit if nvidia was using the oldest drivers for the ati card that they could get to work. be like the old apple g4/g5 commercials that stated that the mac was xxx% faster than x86 pcs and had all the advanced features turned off on the pc to gain any advantage.

Back