• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ah cool thanks for the heads up on canadian locations... and yes, I've been seeing alot of news from Alberta... you guys are in a real nasty situation out there...

Don't really know about the cracking sound, but it does sound like it could be metal expanding. If you can, I would disconnect everything but the pump from the PSU, jump the PSU, and leave the pump running for a few hours and listen for the sound. If it doesn't happen then it's the case, but if it does it may be the pump...

The Primochill pearl tubing I'm talking about are these here at Performance-PCs. They don't have UV red in the pearl unfortunately, though they do have a "bloodshed red" colour (though I don't think it's UV reactive, not sure).

I know PPCs is not located in Canada, but I've ordered many things from them and the import duties/fees aren't that bad if you select USPS shipping.

Dazmode and NCIX are both Canadian and also carry tubing, though Dazmode doesn't carry Primochill and NCIX doesn't have the pearl.

I'm in Southern Alberta. We are on the tail end of a major flood actually. Our city declared a state of emergency and any low-lying areas near the river had to be evacuated. Thankfully I wasn't affected but I think the estimates were ~100,000 displaced due to the flood, though the water's now receding and everyone is helping to rebuild.
Heh heh....Daz's is a great place to shop for sure skorpien and I hear ya on the flooding. A good bud of mine is with Burnco in Cowtown and sent me some pics of the flooding. Terrible just terrible, and I'm glad to hear you made out ok. I missed out on the pearl stuff too...lol, I replaced my Feser UV blue with Primochill Advanced UV blue and compared to the Feser it is WAY more stiff, but a nicer more transparent blue. I too have ordered many parts from PPCs and FrozenCPU and both are ok in my book. Didn't have to pay any duty on the SM8 either as its covered under NAFTA. Certainly a top notch selection from both.

ah cool thanks for the heads up on canadian locations... and yes, I've been seeing alot of news from Alberta... you guys are in a real nasty situation out there...
I recently got a custom power cable and custom case feet(which I'm still waiting on, got the cable) which add sweet finishing touches to a build. I've got a line on the feet if anyone is interested but I'm not sure if my bud(gdesmo) is still making the cables available.
Power 007.JPG

feets-group-021.jpg

How much did you pay for that cable?

That looks like one of those "audiophile" cables that "magically filter all noise and make things sound better". Even though there are a lot of basic copper / aluminum wires running through the wall.

those feet are prety nice looking i think some time with alum. round stock and my metal lathe is in order...

ya with Dazmode becoming more well known canadian watercooling enthusiasts are becoming much more common

Dam Canadians everywhere!!!!!!! :escape:

Nice update Gear and thanks for the pics. Unfortunately you guys have to pay duty/fees. Sucks as that can cost a lot. Hopefully watercooling becomes more popular in Canada and Dazmode adds more components in his inventory.

On a side note, my favorite LED lite reservoir is the Monsoon Series 2. This res just came out not too long ago from a well respected designer in the water cooling world. It looks really nice with the LEDs.

that's a pretty sweet power cord.. :)
Thanks, he was makin' em up in diff ends and sleeving.

oh hey there are more canadians! hello!
PG!! Right on bro..looks like the westerners are outnumberin' the easterners so far...lol.

How much did you pay for that cable?

That looks like one of those "audiophile" cables that "magically filter all noise and make things sound better". Even though there are a lot of basic copper / aluminum wires running through the wall.
Hi ya txus., paid $70CDN for it shipped from TO area to BC.

Those feet... are absolutely gorgeous!

Wow... Us Canadians have a larger presence on here than I first thought... :p
The guys makes 'em in a few diff styles too.
View attachment 129398

those feet are prety nice looking i think some time with alum. round stock and my metal lathe is in order...

ya with Dazmode becoming more well known canadian watercooling enthusiasts are becoming much more common
Get that lathe spun up there rusty!!

Dam Canadians everywhere!!!!!!! :escape:

Nice update Gear and thanks for the pics. Unfortunately you guys have to pay duty/fees. Sucks as that can cost a lot. Hopefully watercooling becomes more popular in Canada and Dazmode adds more components in his inventory.

On a side note, my favorite LED lite reservoir is the Monsoon Series 2. This res just came out not too long ago from a well respected designer in the water cooling world. It looks really nice with the LEDs.
Thanks Jack, for sure we're always buggin' Daz on stuff we want brought in but with import fees and whenever the CDN craps out a lot of stuff just isn't worth stockin' for him. Oh well, I've always had good luck with PPCs and Frozen and as skorpien said I've yet to pay duty on anything shipped USPS. The courier outfits on the other hand are a diff story...lol.

FANTASTIC!

The first computer I ever took apart was an IBM PC (yeah... I'm that old). I've been in IT for 20 years and I'm building my first WC rig. This article was spot-on exactly what I was looking for.

I've got a lot more research to do and a ton of questions, but I'll start perusing the stickies.

Being new to the forum, would it be beneficial for me to start a thread getting feedback on my build as I go? (I'm buying components as I can afford them.)

Thanks!

Absolutely. I'd start in general hardware, there are plenty of build threads in there.

Welcome to OCF!

Finally got the feet I ordered and I'm very happy with how they look, they give me more clearance under the case as well.
CaseFeet043_zpsfdb7ed74.jpg~original

That, sir, is a gorgeous build. I would be extremely pleased if that were my machine! :salute:

Thanks a heckuva lot hokie...its been a real experience doing this build as its my first. I've been extremely lucky in having people on forums helpin' me out with ideas and what will and will not work. W/Cing is a great community and I'm glad to be part of it. Just got an email from Frozen sayin' the blue Primochill 4 pack of rigid fittings are in so its time to order some blue rigid tubing and fittings! Thanks again!!

wow that looks real nice

Thanks Qasimja, it will be time to do a total rebuild in 2014 when the X99 chipset shows up! Would really like to change the color scheme, ( I hope Asus comes out with a Sabertooth version as the "Armour" is easy to paint ) CPU, chipset, ram and GPU watercooling. ( only one card this time around as I personally think SLI is not necessary with the tech they're throwin' at the newer GPUs ) I also hope to add another thick 480 rad into the pedestal I'll need to get from from Caselabs. Should be even more fun this time around! Cheers!!

GREAT read. 100% what I have been looking for. Finally deciding to make the switch and i'm pretty excited about it. 6 core AMD runs a tad hot with the factory heatsink/fan.

Thanks!

Back