• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Intel i7 4960X - Ivy Bridge-E - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Intel is back with a new socket 2011 processor. After what seems like a long wait since Sandy Bridge-E, which launched in November, 2011, we now have Ivy Bridge-E, Intel's newest top tier line of CPUs. Much stays the same with this platform, but there have been advancements too. Is it enough to make you upgrade from Sandy Bridge-E, or to invest in a socket 2011 platform in the first place? That's what we're here to help you figure out!
... Return to article to continue reading.

Nice review. I love my 3930K and would love this even more. But no upgrade yet.

Last edited:
That room stays around 23-25°C. The water loop is a Swiftech MCP35X, MCR-320 and an EK Supreme HF Cu with three Panaflo Ultra High Speed fans near silent at ~40% speed.

Good job as usual! Looking forward to the real OC numbers with the EVGA X79 Dark motherboard.

I like the inclusion of an unlocked quad this time around.

Would be nice to see Ivy temps vs 4c/8t Ivy-E temps using the same clocks and vcore :D

Well, to give you an idea of the difference, the 3770K @ 4.8 GHz and 1.26V loaded gave max core temperatures of 70, 76, 82 & 84 °C. The 4960X @ 4.6 GHz and 1.39V had all core temperatures under 70°C (most ~66°C, with some as low as the mid 50°C range). I think that pretty well speaks for itself.

Are these released now? So will newegg have them up with n the next day or two?

The NDA expired this morning at 12:01am but we weren't told a specific hard release date. Some sites had them for sale last week already (MetalRacer has had his since Thursday or Friday) but they're not on Newegg, Tiger Direct or Microcenter's site. IDF is the 10th through the 12th, so they may be waiting until then.

I started up a live chat with Newegg and asked so I could have an answer directly from the horse's mouth. If nothing else, it's good for a laugh.

Jeremy Vaughan: When will you have the i7 4960X / i7 4930K for sale?
Rina: Thank you for providing me with that information. Jeremy. I will be more than happy to assist you. May I please place you on hold for a moment while I look into this?
Jeremy Vaughan: sure
Rina: Thank you for holding. I am sorry, we do not sale this product now.
Jeremy Vaughan: yes, I am aware of that.
Jeremy Vaughan: when will it be for sale?
Rina: I will recommand our company to sell this product. But I am not sure when will will sell this product.
Jeremy Vaughan: It is Intel's newest CPU. I know you have them in stock. My question is what date will it go for sale? Is there anyone you can check with that may have that information?
Rina: I am sorry for my mistake. We do not have promotions date information. All our promotions are determined by our marketing. You can subscribe our newsletter to see all our promotions.
Jeremy Vaughan: Ok, thanks for your time.
:facepalm:

As we're an equal opportunity publication, here are some more reviews for your reading pleasure.

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread yet; NDA lifted at (the odd time of) 12:01am PST. Here are some more:

Hardware Canucks
Overclockersclub
TechReport
PCPer
Guru3D
VR Zone

There we go. Tired of copying/pasting now. :)

(I refuse to link to the two that published before NDA, one of which RE-published today under the auspices of benchmark verification with a later sample, because they suck like that.)

Very nice review hokie! (as usual).

"you’ve got a 4.6 GHz overclock, which is decent, and core temperatures below 70 DEGREES C – and with six cores putting out heat instead of four."

Wow! Intel has done somethings right! (Just Kidding)

Benchmarks are all over the place. Wins on some, loses on others. Definitely not the best solution for gamers.

No USB 3.0 - that isn't that big of deal. WE assume that wouldn't hold anyone back (upgrade point of view).

On a scale of 1 to ten what would you give it?

Thanks Again!

Very nice review hokie! (as usual).

"you’ve got a 4.6 GHz overclock, which is decent, and core temperatures below 70 DEGREES C – and with six cores putting out heat instead of four."

Wow! Intel has done somethings right! (Just Kidding)

Benchmarks are all over the place. Wins on some, loses on others. Definitely not the best solution for gamers.

No USB 3.0 - that isn't that big of deal. WE assume that wouldn't hold anyone back (upgrade point of view).

On a scale of 1 to ten what would you give it?

Thanks Again!
We don't do scores because they're so subjective. If pressed, probably a 6-7/10. It's Sandy Bridge-E with a little bit higher IPC and doesn't bring much (anything) new to the table. Anyone that already has a decent SNB-E chip should keep what they've got. Anyone that is just a gamer with 1-2 GPUs should go Haswell. Anyone that needs the available threads and/or memory bandwidth or needs the PCIe lanes for 3-4 GPUs could do worse than IVB-E.
Nice one Jeremy, when are you using it for the Bot?
Whenever time allows me to get some LN2, and there isn't much of that right now unfortunately.

I know what you mean about time!
Looking forward to seeing it pushed cold though!

Thanks for the reply. You scored it almost what I "believed" you would have scored it if we did use a "subjective" index.

This certainly was unexpected: "and/or memory bandwidth or needs the PCIe lanes for 3-4 GPUs could do worse than IVB-E."

Thank you again for your time and review!

Shame no octo core E series yet, maybe Haswell-E? :L

Good for me, though, still the multithreaded king over here =P

I feel it's worth mentioning that for the most part the X58 classified boards required soldering mods to work well cold, otherwise they tended towards a -60°C coldbug. Once that mod was done, they were the best out there till Gulftown and the R3E showed up.

Personally I think EVGA should aim just a touch higher, and go for something you don't have to take a soldering iron to :D

Back