• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First question, sorry, I have no idea. Hopefully someone with a gigabyte board will stop by.

For the second question, absolutely give 1.65v a try. I'm not surprised it didn't work, RAM is binned pretty precisely these days. You shouldn't need any system agent voltage at 1866. For the most part that only needs experimenting above 2400.

Hi all!
Great Guide!
E have a question and maybe someone here can help...
I use extensively excel with macros that took a long time, (With excel 2003 single thread... it works faster than the newers).
I build a pc with... i7-4770k, 8gb Corsair 2130Mhs 1.65V, Asus Z87-C...windows7 (tomorow arrive the Coler Master Seidam 120M)
As the excel 2003 is single tread i dissabled the hypertreading to release a core completly to the tread of excel. I belive its vantageous.

Someone know what is the maximum overclook that it possible on 1 Core only? (I nees the other cores at infra stock speed or 2 dissableds ...)

Thanks,
L

Hard job...

My build is: ASUS Maximus Hero, i7-4770k, Corsair H80i, Corsair XMS3 2000MHz at 9-10-9-27 2T.

Very difficult to stabilize at 4600. Last stable result was:
- CPU 4500 / cache 4200;
- CPU 1.287V / cache 1.2V; (going to try lowering my CPU voltage)
- DRAM XMP 2000MHz at 1.65V;
- Temps at 88~92°C with AIDA64 after 15min.

Tried:
- 4600 / 4400 with AUTO Voltage (1.37V / Cache 1.287V) = no sucess and 96°C...
- 4600 / 4200 with 1.35V / cache 1.2V = 92~96°C on AIDA64, AIDA apparently stable (15min), but crashed Prime95 after 8min.
- 4700 .... not even imagined...

Here in Brazil, beginning Spring season, ambient temps at 25°C and rising... think my new H80i is little for the job...

Last edited:
Getting hot there! I'd say a stronger water lop is in order, but it will cost a fair bit and won't gain you all that much. I'd be happy with 4500 for the summer, then see what the winter brings after six months. :)

News from the "Hard Job":

- new DRAM: now is 2x8GB G.Skill 2400MHz C10. XMP Profile working perfect at 1.65V;
- got the CPU running at 4500 with cache at 4300, with manual Vcore in 1.345V.

On AIDA "sensors" page, my processor temperature was 68~70°C, while my cores were at 80~90°C.

Question: TCASE of i7-4770k is 73°C, correct? Is this the AIDA "processor" temp? In this case, what is the max core temp considered "safe"?

Thanks,

Keep those temps under 90C is my suggestion. You are as hot as you want to be. I assume those temperatures are while running the AIDA stress test? I would go by what Realtemp says or use the cores value for temps.

Yep, keep temps under 90°C for 24/7 use IMHO. I prefer below 85°C, but I have water loops to keep it that cool. When I've got an air cooler installed I tend to be more flexible up to the 90°C range. The CPU is perfectly safe there. It will throttle to save itself before it gets too hot anyway, but you don't want it ramming up against that limit all the time.

What kind of RAM would you recommend for a 4770k with Maximus Hero? I was planning on getting TridentX 2400 because it's on sale. Should I opt for 1600 and try to overclock instead of getting 2400 and decreasing?

Ok guys I followed the guide, Using SS for cooling CPU set at 5.2GHZ cache at 4.8. Intel stepping off, I can get it to run 3dmark11. When I look at CPUz it said 3389 then when stressed 5.2 keeps jumping around. Any Ideals what the issue is.

Haswell is confusing

I have had my 4770K w/ GAZ87-UD3H motherboard for about 3 months and I have been to every forum or read 100's of pages of Intel literature to get where I am. Stable at CPU 4.4/ Uncore 3.9/ Base multiplier 36. If I go less than 36 the clock never exceeds 35. My memory is only DDR3-12800 running XMP 1 at 1600 10/10/10/27. I have no Turbo boost enabled & all the C-states turned off. Speed-step is ON. My vcore is 1.2 and my Vrin is 1.8. I have learned that no matter I do, once I hit the TDP of 84watts, things start to go south. I have plenty of cooling, and I plan on playing with some faster memory as soon as it arrives to see if that is part of the problem. Will keep you posted. :bang head

I may be coming in a bit late, but I've found that, contrary to ASUS's claims, I routinely run into the "+0.1V" core voltage problem, causing thermal shutdowns in the middle of long-running calculations. I've had to set a fixed voltage of 1.1V (@4GHZ).

Admittedly, the calculations I've been running are possibly even more stressing than Floating@Home. In short, I'm generating phylogenetic trees for massive data sets using the maximum likelihood method. This is, I believe, an almost entirely AVX floating-point workload.

Also, I've been searching forever for an answer to this, and nobody seems to mention it: What is the actual, stock voltage for these chips? 1.1V?

which memory?

Hello,

maybe someone here can help me with this problem:
I plan to replace my current AMD Phenom II 965 System with a Haswell System (i5 4670k). My plan is not only to overclock the CPU but also increase the frequencies which are important for the memory bandwidth (Ring bus frequency, memory frequency, etc.) as far as possible.
On my AMD Platform I used Kingston Hyper X CL8 DDR3-2000 RAM which used Elpida Hyper MGH-E/MNH-E chips and could run very nice timings + good frequencies. I have read that this RAM does not work so good on todays Intel Platforms (Sandy-Bridge, Haswell, etc.). Furthermore I only have 2x2 GB. Therefore I plan to get new RAM as well.
Which RAM would you recommend if one not only plans to overclock the CPU but also the memory?
I usually also keep an eye on a good price/performance-ratio but I anyway would like to have a good replacement for the memory which is in place in my current system since the games which I usually play require a high memory bandwidth (Arma 2/DayZ, Arma 3).
Do you have any advice regarding memory with a good price/performance ratio for haswell and which is overclockable?
In another board they recommend the following memory kit's:
Teamgroup TXD38G2400HC10QDC01 (DDR3-2400 CL10, 2x4GB)
and
G.Skill F3-2400C10D-8GTX (DDR3-2400 CL10, 2x4GB)

Would you recommend the same RAM or different RAM?

Thanks in Advance!

best regards,
Sebolatius

Your best bet is to start a new thread in the Intel Cpu section or Memory section, you'll probably get more responses there.

Performance gains on the RING bus and memory are not really to there in every day clocking. In benchmarks, different story. Personally, I would stick with DDR3 1866 CL9 1.5v and not a Mhz higher, that is unless you plan on benchmarking.

I see you list games. Are you sure these actually respond to higher memory speeds and bandwidth? Most games do not...at least at 1080p resolutions and above. If you have some links to some results, I would love to check those out and learn.

Also, I've been searching forever for an answer to this, and nobody seems to mention it: What is the actual, stock voltage for these chips? 1.1V?
Sorry for the late reply, but ot will vary. I have seen some as low a .99 and as high as 1.15.

Yeah, Arma definitely requires a lot of memory bandwidth due to all the objects and textures of the whole map being loaded. It's also one of the few games which benefit a lot from SSD's.
Here you have some sources:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...-Multisampling-AA-and-AM3-benchmarks/Reviews/

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f329-hardware-custom-builds/110328-what-best-ssd-arma-2-oa.html

Keep this in mind, Arma2 OA will peak at ~120,000 IOPS, which can only be achieved by using SEVERAL SSDs in a RAID 0 solution. That is freaking expensive, I doubt many of the PRAA guys are doing this. Keep in mind, no matter how much money you throw at a gaming PC built for Arma2, the Arma2 engine benchmark utility will make you cry.

The Arma-Games/Engine definitely benefits from a higher bandwidth. This is also the reason why I overclocked the NB and HT-Frequency as high as possible in my current configuration. I would choose memory with a lower voltage if it would help me in overclocking the CPU or the ring bus frequency higher but if the memory bandwidth is in the end a more important factor when it comes to performance i probably really choose the recommended DDR3-2400 Mhz sticks.
Or do you guys have any special recommendation (even cheapter but better overclockable RAM)?

Thanks in Advance!

Best regards,
Sebolatius

Excellent links, thank you! I had to dig to find the results but did find them. It seems in that testing there are several peaks of high IOPS in that game but overall use is low. I can see why that may get choppy with a slower HDD. Though, 2 SSD's can reach 120K IOPS, even back then...

I didn't see anything on the ram bandwidth though.

Snag some 2400Mhz sticks though and see how she goes. :)

Regarding the RAM bandwidth you have to check the first link. So I will probably take the 2400 Mhz Sticks then. Everything above (2600 Mhz+) probably doesn't make a lot of sense from a prife/performance ratio perspective or does it? And it is not even guaranteed that the CPU is able to handle everything above 1600 Mhz...

I didn't see where anything over 1533mhz ram made a difference in the first link. Conventional wisdom is there are negligible if any improvements over 2133 and even from 1600 to 2133 there are nominal gains at most. 1333 to 1600 does show the most gains.

I'd research a bit more and confirm that something over 1866/2133 really makes a difference. That price difference is significant between 2400 and 1866 sticks.

I see they theorize about the bandwidth thing and triple channel...

Anyway.. you may want to start your own thread on which ram to get as you will likey get more responses. :)

Back