• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NZXT HALE90 V2 1200 W Power Supply Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

At CES, NZXT unveiled the successor to their excellent HALE90 series, the HALE90 V2. Not perhaps the worlds most creative name, but it does get the point across. In theory we can look forward to even better voltage regulation, tons of power, a bright white paint-job, and general awesomeness. How will it fare in reality? We'll see soon enough.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing ripple control here. Really good regulation too.
The dissection was a bit tragic, though.

What a beast of a PSU, great review Ed:thup:

I'm not a big fan of flat modular cables though, prefer the round braided ones.

I thought all reviews included a "fail" "meh" or "approved". is this one none of them?

Read the last paragraph of the review, the one right where the approved/meh/fail would go.

It`s Active clamp reset forward.
Forward converters with active-clamp reset offer multiple benefits to designers and are presently finding wide use. Power converters based on the forward topology are an excellent choice for applications where high efficiency and good power handling capability is required in the 50 to. 500W power range.
The active clamp transformer reset technique offers many well documented advantages over traditional single-ended reset techniques, including lower voltage stress on the main MOSFET, the ability to switch at zero voltage, reduced EMI and duty cycle operation above 50 percent.
Thats about beenfits of this topology in general...
But? I pik up two dead fried units, from US, which seems was used in mining. Look like the engeneers put too small transformers ERL-39 (13900 mm3) instead of something biger, (for example Hale90 850W uses E4220) and their eclosure insulation tape was roosted. May be for this units was affordable something bigger>>> ferrite cores; ERL-42/20/20 (20000 mm3) or PQ40/40 (17000 mm3).... if it is used for mining

Back