• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD R9 290 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If i ever go CF, it would by my first CF because it finally is becoming mature and pretty useful in large scale approach. In the past Radeon CF wasnt good enough for my likings, but with todays GCN revisions and the improved drivers, it finally is able to handle that task in a stable and good manner.

Very impressive offering from AMD, beats Nividia's top mainline product ie GTX780 in more than half of the tests and hangs with the Titan when OC'd and all that powa at the price of the $100 less that the 780. :shock:

AMD has a winner here:clap:, trading in my GTX 770 for sure when these hit the shelves.:cool:

Thanks Jeremy for a great review:thup:

Fair warning - as mentioned, your GTX 770's cooler is a lot quieter than this card. This card will blow its doors off, but the reference cooler isn't anything to get excited about.

Ugh, I'm looking to buying one of the cards today, the 290 is nowhere to be found locally and is $439 on Newegg, that'll put me to ~$460 after tax and shipping, ugh that's kind of turning me off. Or I can just go buy the 280X locally for $320 but how much of a performance difference would I be missing I wonder.

Ugh, I'm looking to buying one of the cards today, the 290 is nowhere to be found locally and is $439 on Newegg, that'll put me to ~$460 after tax and shipping, ugh that's kind of turning me off. Or I can just go buy the 280X locally for $320 but how much of a performance difference would I be missing I wonder.
280x = 7970.

I might be tempted to upgrade my R9 280X to a R9 290 when non-ref cards appear. I think that'll be a month or two.

They are coming out with a new one for the 290x... so not sure if that one will fit the 290 as they are more similar than anything that fits under that.

Try it... let us know. :)

I have one of these sitting here, look like it will fit..anyone think otherwise?

I've only been told by Arctic that the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III and Hybrid work on the 290X, they didn't mention anything on the II. They do have different mounting holes and compatibility lists that could be causing it to be different. Could always try of course.

Thanks for the great and excellent review.

$400 and all the performance one could ask for. There is no game bundle - at this price performance ratio; we're not sure if we would really expect one.

Negatives are that it is somewhat loud and isn't power efficient. AIB partners should take care of that.

Any chance it that it be widely available by say the "Winter Holiday Season"?:shrug:

Thanks again for an outstanding review!:thup:

Back