• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not sure what's happening, but I went ahead and did F5 for defaults, and then set sync all clocks to 42x.

I am running Aida64 with the FPU test currently. It was the only test I could get some heat out of, so I assumed it was the most intense. FPU option only, no CPU or Memory selected.

Been running this at 42x for the past 8 hours, hottest one of my cores got was 83c, full stability thus far. Voltage is at auto, and memory is hard set at 1600mhz to keep it low to rule out as a problem.

How would you recommend I proceed?

Thanks

At this point it's probably about time youstarted your own thread and put up a signature so people know what you have for a system. What I was saying earlier was that if you want to run your miner you should get things stable with P95 blend. I suggested using the cpu level up to get an idea of the voltage you'd need. Heck if it runs stable then just use it. What is your memorys rated frequency?? You psu there are so many things treally that can cause instability aside from CPU voltage.

Help Please- i5 4670K Overclock not going well

I am trying to follow the guide above and either I have a really bad chip or I am doing something seriously wrong. I cannot get a stable boot when I try to OC even to 43 or 44 at 1.20 volts.

Here is my setup:
OS- WIN 8.1 64 bit
CPU- i5 4670k Haswell
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-DH3
RAM: Crucial BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 (Ballistix Tactical 8-8-8-24- DDR3 1600- 2 x 8GB)
PSU- Seasonic X660 Gold

What I have tried:
If I use EZ Tune I can get 4.6 stable so I am hopeful I am missing something when I delete EZ tune and try to manually set the BIOS

I set RAM Voltage to 1.5v
I set CPU Voltage to 1.2v
I raise Multiplier.

I can get into windows but I get BSOD whea_uncorrectable_error at anything over 40.

The best I have come up with is 42 at 1.250v This is not stable with Prime95 though. Settings for this OC were VRIN- Extreme, CPU VCORE- 1.250, DRAM V- 1.50, CPU Mult- 42. All else unchanged.

Any thoughts as to what else I could or should adjust?
I have seen other guides adjust the Ring Bus or the Uncore or the VCCIN.

Thanks in advance.

43/44 at 1.2v may be low. Is you memory rated for 1.5v? What speed and timings did youbset them to? Did you record the settings at 4.6 and try to.work down from there?

It may be best to create your own thread and get focused help there.

43/44 at 1.2v may be low. Is you memory rated for 1.5v? What speed and timings did youbset them to? Did you record the settings at 4.6 and try to.work down from there?

It may be best to create your own thread and get focused help there.

Memory is rated 1.5v. I set for Auto first which was 1333 but the XMP is actually 1600 8-8-8-24. I plan to repeat the EZ Tune clock and try to see what it sets at and work from there. Just very surprised at how un-clockable this is using the normal 1.2v setup.

Wait, 3.6 to 4.2 is sizeable for a .1v increase. That said, you may have a chip on the bad side of the curve.. too early to tell though.

Ok. So I used EZ tune and it set 4.6 with 1.543V. To get it to run 4.2 seems to take 1.410V. Bad chip?

Horrible chip if tbat is actually true. Seems way too high though.

I'd start another thread in the proprer section so we can talk this with a bit more detail... Post the link here...

Stupid question

New to these forums. Where would the correct location for a new thread be?

Same section, your own thread though. Im afraid this may be a lot of posts going back and forth. A thread of your own with your specific issues will draw help to your specific problem is why I suggest creating a new one. :)

3.9?

I can't seem to get past 3.9 and be stable. I've read this article and everyone seems to get past 4.0 easy. Here's my setup:
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H motherboard
16GB 1600 RAM
480GB SSD drive
I5-4670K
Old Thermatake liquid cooling that cools only the CPU. Highest temps at 3.9 GHz while running AIDA peaked at 65c after running it for several minutes. Seems like I should be OK in the cooling department.

I have tried all the steps in the post here and some other's but no matter what I do, if I run AIDA when at 4.0GHz, I crash about 3-5 seconds in.

I have tried voltages at 1.2, 1.25, and 3.0. Runs fine at any of those voltages until I increase the multiplier past 39.

Am I doing something wrong?

Above 3.9

I can't seem to get past 3.9 and be stable. I've read this article and everyone seems to get past 4.0 easy. Here's my setup:
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H motherboard
16GB 1600 RAM
480GB SSD drive
I5-4670K
Old Thermatake liquid cooling that cools only the CPU. Highest temps at 3.9 GHz while running AIDA peaked at 65c after running it for several minutes. Seems like I should be OK in the cooling department.

I have tried all the steps in the post here and some other's but no matter what I do, if I run AIDA when at 4.0GHz, I crash about 3-5 seconds in.

I have tried voltages at 1.2, 1.25, and 3.0. Runs fine at any of those voltages until I increase the multiplier past 39.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have the same issue. See my thread link above in this thread. I can get to 4.0 but only if I set my cores at 40, 40, 39, and 38. It was suggested to me that I change these settings: 1.change the voltage to RAM from stock 1.5 to 1.55? 2. Change system agent voltage(VCCSA) and CPU IO Analog and Digital to .15v offset. These settings did not help me but might help you.

OK, I'll give that a whirl. Thanks!

...update

Made those changes on my Windows (7 Pro 64) computer runs fine after. Then I change the multiplier across the board to 41 (4.1 GHz) and it boots the the "Starting Windows" screen but stops before the flag animation gets going and freezes. Same with the previous voltage settings. I don't know why I wanna go faster. At 4.0 I'm pretty well blazing. Just want to!

Last edited:
Your motherboard is not exactly made for overclocking. While the motherboard doesn't play a huge role with these modern processors, understand your bought a BUSINESS class (see the B75 versus the Z77 which is for enthusiasts) level board. I am GUESSING its a board issue.

Last edited:
When I ran into these problems, I reflashed my BIOS back to stock, set everything to AUTO and loaded programs that would monitor everything(voltages, speeds and temps). I started turning up the multiplier and watched what the system was turning up. This gave me a good idea as to how to set voltages, wattage, etc. I used a program called Throttle Stop. You can find it doing a search and it's FREE. It allows you to turn up the clock multiplier while you have the machine running. :bang head

Good Luck,

Boy did I get a stinker

Batch 3404B341 and I can't even get 4.3 stable on 1.25v. Just to get 4.4 stable its 1.4v+ ! Even the auto 4.4 setting crashes in Prime95 in a few minutes.

Sure it stays really cool but that's because I can't OC it much.

I have the Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 as well. I haven't even tried to OC the memory yet.

One thing though, I was able to get to the bios settings with 4.6 and 1.20v so I don't think that's a really reliable for the upper 50% :-/

I just got it at newegg btw.

edit: I don't suppose anyone knows of a vendor selling these pre-binned?

Last edited:
Unfortunately not; you pretty much have to get lucky watching classified sections in forums. You'll pay a pretty penny for pre binned chips too. Well, binned on cold. Maybe not so much on ambient.

I have trouble with OC i5-4670k stability on ASRock Z87 Extreme4 mobo.

My recent settings:

DRAM Voltage: 1,5V
DRAM Frequency: 1333MHz
CPU Clock (All core): x46
VCore Voltage: 1,3V

I didn't touch any other settings, Cache frequency/voltage left on auto too for now (seems to be running x38 at 1,3V). Trying to figure out maximum Clock multiplier.

4.7Ghz was unstable at 1,35V and I didn't feel confident with my temps occasionally jumping over 85 degrees.

So I thought I could settle on 4.6. On 1,29V it crashed in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Stress Test quite quickly. Raised it to 1,3V - 13 hours stability test passed. I was so happy to finally see this result.

Decided to test gaming performance. Played Borderlands 2 for 1-2 hours, then PC crashed at loading screen. Checked Windows Error log - Kernel-Power critical error.
Tried Battfield 4 - crashed (with a really weird sound that kept going until I hit Reset button) after about 10 minutes, again Kernel-Power error.

Then I raised VCore Voltage to 1,31. BF4 crashed after a little longer this time (coincidence?), 20-30 minutes, maybe more, I'm not sure exactly. 3rd Kernel-Power error.

On the other hand Dota 2 worked fine, I guess it wasn't stressful enough for the CPU.

Could anyone please suggest what should I do? Is there any point in increasing VCore Voltage further?

I hope I didn't damage my chip, as I had tons of crashes/BSODs over the last few days. I've always paid close attention to temperatures which almost never gone above 80 degrees.

Anyway, last night I tried to work with 4,5GHz / 1,25V
Played bf for about 30-40 minutes, didn't crash. But I experienced 2 really bad frame rate drops, each of them for a few second, like 3-5s - 20FPS or less, extremely choppy (never happened before). I checked temps after that game - GPU (asus gtx 780 dc2oc) reached 68 degrees, I've never seen anything above 63, usually 60 max in BF4. CPU temps were normal. Is it possible that it's somehow connected with CPU? I didn't even try to OC my GPU yet... I'm worried that I messed something up. I've also noticed that programs that used to load pretty much instantly sometimes launch with 5s+ delay, I click on icon, nothing happens for 5-10s and then it starts (for example HWMonitor, Origin platform).

Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance for taking time to go through this. I really don't know what to do. I'll be grateful for your help!

Back