• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there any point in increasing VCore Voltage further?
If you want that clockspeed, certainly as you need stability.

Not sure about the long pause at 4.5Ghz/1.25v but logic says to raise the voltage and see if it goes away. That said, there is always a slight pause for those applications to come up, no?

Yea, but 5+ seconds is not that short. I'm not really sure if it has anything to do with this OC.
Is it possible that all these freezes/BSODs/resets I had somehow affect system speed?
I forgot to mention that my current input voltage is 1,9V. Could rising this one help? I've read somewhere that I should only touch it if I run into trouble with rising Cache multiplier -but I'm not there yet.
Going to play more after I get home and see if these FPS drops occur again, hopefully it was a one-time thing.
Isn't that weird that I can run 4,5/1,25V, but can't run 4,6 with 1,31? This seems like a big step in VCore voltage.

It shouldn't. You can try resetting things back to stock and see if it still happens. That is another way to tell if it was the o/c.

Not weird at all. At some point, you hit a voltage wall.

Could you please refer to rising CPU Input Voltage and trying 4.6 again? Or no need for more than 1,9 and it's only matter of VCore? I will get back here after doing some more tests.

You should not need to touch VCCIN at your clocks. It is a matter of vcore and cooling ability. Personally, I would focus on getting 4.5Ghz stable.

I managed to get 4,5GHz/1,24V core and 4,1GHz/1,24V Cache, VCCIN 1,9V. Seems stable. Although guide says I should keep Cache within 100-300Mhz from core - does it mean this OC is bad?

Kept getting crashes with x42+, I am really disappointed with this chip.

I guess I could get better cache multiplier by increasing V, but another tutorial said cache voltage should never exceed VCore V. So maybe I should increase both (but then again, VCore voltage was supposed to be as low as possible...)? It's pretty confusing.

Oh come on! Different vendor same crap batch!

My processor with batch 3404B341 has little or no OC ability so I ordered another one. I used a different vendor so I wouldn't get the same crappy batch.

What are the odds? I order another i7-4770k CPU from a different vendor and get another cpu from the SAME DAMN BATCH.

Now I have two crappy CPUs! fffffffff... Why spend over $300 on a cpu "K" series if it's so likely I'll end up not being able to overclock? I can't even keep stable 4.3Ghz without over 1.3 volts!

Batches mean almost nothing these days... Sorry about that bad luck.

Are you sure its the CPU that is the problem? Perhaps start a thread with your system specs in it and we can try helping out...

I have the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 which is how I found this article. I put the current bios which mentioned better OC on 4th gen. I haven't even tried to do anything with the memory yet with the i7-4770k so it's just stock non-profile default settings on the memory.

The new memory is G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9Q-32GZH.

I was using 32GB before with 2 16gb sets of Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0. I wasn't really going for OC memory when I got that.

My previous CPU was an i7-3770k which was fine. I compared my PC mark 7 scores and it went from 6716 with the i7-3770k down to 5440. Same SSD, GPU, and disk controller. I only ran the 3770k at 4.5ghz to keep temps down but could have gone higher.

The cooler is a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme which works fine. I replace all of my case fans with Noctua with high pressure versions on the radiator.

I couldn't stay stable with a 43 multiplier at 1.275 volts fixed, even getting BSODs (code 124) a couple of times in 24 hours which watching videos, listening to music, etc. So I tried normal/ +0.199 offset. Prime95 seemed ok until it suddenly shot up to 90C+ and my system froze. So, I went down to .1 which still ran too hot for my comfort when spiking periodically. I'm trying it at offset +0.08 which seems ok for now. I haven't tried anything particularly complicated given the cpu performance so far. I'm just seeing what I can get stable for everyday use. My top voltage is usually 1.329. I have C1E and EIST in active use now as well although when testing originally I ran at 100% fixed voltage full time.

I'll try the new cpu this evening and see if anything is different. I have a Maximus V Gene I was planning to sell off so maybe I'll try the first i7-4770k in that if it's ok for 4th gen with current bios just to make sure it isn't the mobo.

I'll try the new CPU just to see how close it is but if it stinks I'm going to put my i7-3770k back in. :-(

Last edited:
This isn't a new thread, LOL! (its going to get confusing as hell helping you and another guy in the same thread... I will see if I can start one from your existing post.

That said, you never mentioned anything you tried as far as overclocking yet outside of you not touching the memory.
EDIT: I see where you mentioned it a few of days ago in this thread.

Let me try to make your post above a thread...

That's ok, I was mostly just bitching about getting the same batch again after the first CPU was performing so poorly. I don't think there's much anyone can do since I haven't even gotten past the first steps in evaluating the processor(s) and just didn't like the results. I put the voltages on there I'm using but it's just bad luck and there's not much help for that. :)

HI overclocker folks..

i got a problem when i started overclocking my cpu. My problem is when i boot up up my pc it boots up 2 times and then it continues to its normal way..Is this normal when overclocking?

HI overclocker folks..

i got a problem when i started overclocking my cpu. My problem is when i boot up up my pc it boots up 2 times and then it continues to its normal way..Is this normal when overclocking?
This could be normal. What motherboard/processor/etc are you running?

I have had the same thing happen. When I change the RAM timings it always boots twice. I have not had it happen when I just change the multipliers or voltages. I also flashed my BIOS back to F3. For some reason it seems to let me overclock more. There is also windows trying to keep track of what is going on. HAL is windows Hardware Abstraction Layer. WHEA is Windows Hardware Error Architecture. These are trying to keep track of your system. They can cause a reboot.

Mobo:Maximus VI hero
CPU: I5 4670k(overclocked to 4.5)
GPU: Sapphire r9 280x toxic edition
Cpu cooler: corsair h100i
PSU: NZXT 850

This is my specs

Last edited:
Thanks for the great guide.
I have followed all steps and have my Haswell i5 4670k running at 4.5Ghz at 1.25v
I used AIDA64 fro nine hours and it showed no problems. Max CPU temp was 84. Is this too hot? Average was 78.
Cores one and two had a mas of 100.
But it was running fine with no issues
The bottom graph showed CPU throttling at 14% max too but i could not see any spikes on the graph. The red line seemed to be flat the whole time. Could this just have been a random spike?
CPU i5 Haswell 4670k
Motherboard z87pro
Ram 8gig Hyperbeast 2400
Coolong Corsair h80i

Everything seems fine and running watchdogs for a few hours with no issues.
Would appreciate any advice :)

Back