• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus warranty support: Not good, not good at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

I don't usually write this sort of thing, but these issues seem to be becoming more and more common, and I think people deserve to know.

A good friend of mine has (had, now) an Asus P67 board that had some sudden issues:

View attachment 144346

Having read a number of posts lately about Asus refusing RMA due to trace damage that wasn't there when the board was sent, I had him take a lot of pictures of the board before he sent it. The board was still functional when he sent it in, other than that USB port (and possibly PCI slot, he doesn't use PCI cards). It boots, runs windows, etc.

Asus got back to him with a couple terrible quality pictures of the CPU socket area saying that there is trace damage there and the board is unrepairable and he'll have to pay for a replacement.
Keep in mind, the board boots!
He has replied with his good pictures of the area they sent pictures of, plus other pictures, and a demand for clarification.
I'll keep this thread updated with his experience.

In the mean time, I will no longer recommend Asus motherboards.

The boards themselves may be good (though his burst into flame with nothing plugged into that USB port), but their RMA support is apparently awful now.

Here are the pictures they sent in the denial email:
View attachment 144347
View attachment 144348

Here's his socket right before installing the CPU socket cap I sent him to protect it, and him shipping it out:
View attachment 144349

So yes, they are denying RMA because of the damaged trace where the board exploded, and the CPU socket damage that they caused.

Goodbye, Asus.

I just subscribed so I could help tell my story. It is ongoing, so hopefully Asus will give in and resolve this. Here are the emails.

Date: Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Subject: <TSD>RMA USPC442478 [ID=STM2014052215361141010]
To:

Dear Marra

Your unit was received with trace damage which is not covered under your Asus warranty and is not repairable. In the meantime we are checking availability for a replacement unit. Once stock is confirmed we will send you quote for replacement fee.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oh, you think I'm going to let Asus win that easily? I'm not going down without a fight.

Date: Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: <TSD>RMA USPC442478 [ID=STM2014052215361141010]
To: dorothy_zhang <[email protected]>

I guess they don't give you guys very good cameras over there...Here's some better shots of the damage, and of the CPU slot...not sure why you sent that to me, it appeared to be in good condition when I sent it to you. And I have much better pictures to prove it.

Also, how is that little chip up above the USB port catching fire NOT covered? That amazes me. It wasn't exactly user error, there was nothing plugged into it when it caught fire.

Also, what do you mean by 'trace damage'?? Where is this 'trace damage'? What exactly are you referring to? Are you referring to the blown and burned piece from when your motherboard spontaneously combusted? Or are you implying that, by sending a picture of the CPU slot, that there's some damage which wasn't there when I sent it to you?

I'm going to be sending you a couple emails, as it seems my original attachments caused my reply to be too large.

10364010_10152866938549552_5758361978926030254_n.jpg

10155605_10152866938649552_8820227623180838665_n.jpg

Also note my pictures original size was 3264x2448...which is quite large, so they are plenty detailed. Not quite sure what they shot those pictures they sent me with...but I think my first digital camera in 2002 was better than that.

Date: Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Hello Dorothy,
Attached are pictures I took of the motherboard's CPU slot just before sending. Again, I'm not sure why you included that in your reply to me, as you didn't indicate why, but I'm sending this to you to prove that it appeared to be in good condition upon sending to you.

10337747_10152866939074552_7226890579322659306_n.jpg

10359243_10152866939424552_1821755751149945865_n.jpg

10307169_10152866939124552_1198484538500055555_n.jpg

Bobnova reminded me that my computer was running even after the fire, so I thought it important to note that, which I did in a third email (probably annoying for poor Dorothy, but I don't care.

Date: Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Also keep in mind, Dorothy, that when I sent you the motherboard, it boot and ran JUST FINE with the exception of that USB slot. It was running and continued to run even after the fire was extinguished. I should not have to pay for a replacement as this was clearly not an error on my part.

Woooow. I normally hate threads like this, with a passion lol, but this is just slim shady on their part.

Thanks for the heads up.. nice to see proof of a good board being sent.in as well as their 'evidence'.

I haven't had much luck with their CS either, and I don't buy their products for the same reason. Shame, because I had a couple Asus boards back in the s939 days that I liked. Their support has really hit the ****ter these days.

I hope your friends manages to work something out.

Woooow. I normally hate threads like this, with a passion lol, but this is just slim shady on their part.

This +1.

I normally hate threads like this also, but your documentation/images of the pre-RMA condition really sheds some light on Asus.

Looking at the difference between the pictures, I'd venture to say that is an entirely different board altogether.

Either my eyes are decieving me or they're sending you pictures of someone elses board.

Case in point. In your photo the IE1394 paint is burnt and partially unreadable.
10364010_10152866938549552_5758361978926030254_n.jpg

In their photo it is unmarred. Also notice how clean the chip to the left is. Clearly some skullduggery goin on.
attachment.php

EDIT: Thiddy see it too apparently.

Yep, I'm the friend Bobnova was talking about.

The image they sent me of the lower corner of the board strikes me as odd as well. While I can see it within reason to try to clean up the board to try to repair it...the picture they sent me looks TOO clean in some places. My board CAUGHT FIRE, and some things, like the PCI plastic, doesn't even seem phased in their image.

EDIT: I lined up all the perspective lines in photoshop, they line up to the solders...so it does look like my board. It'd be nice to see the serial number just in case...I just really need a better picture than the crap they sent me.

I'm also very confused at this whole mention of 'trace damage'. Not to mention WHY send me a picture of the CPU socket? I can't even tell if their awful picture indicates damage.

And why should I have to prove that it ran? The pictures should be enough as it is. It is reasonable to believe that a computer wouldn't stop running just because a USB port blew up. I even sent unmodified pictures too, which should mean that the metadata went with them, proving the date/time and location that they were taken.

They're not going to weasel their way out of this. The only thing I wish I had pictures of is the motherboard in a static sleeve, with the CPU cap, and packed in a shipping box with enough foam padding to send entire laptops. Just to prove that it was packed more than sufficiently. The UPS records can at least indicate the dimensions of the box...so that's something.

Last edited:
not to mention you cannot even see the IE starting the 1394 on your board at all.

I still use Asus boards exclusively because I like their bios the best and I'm an ROG fan. I've heard lots of stories of failed Asus rma. So many that I would never even try to rma an Asus product. I would just buy a replacement and count my losses. Motherboards aren't that expensive after all.

I still use Asus boards exclusively because I like their bios the best and I'm an ROG fan. I've heard lots of stories of failed Asus rma. So many that I would never even try to rma an Asus product. I would just buy a replacement and count my losses. Motherboards aren't that expensive after all.

True, but the least they can do is be less vague and send me some decent pictures. That's what gets me fired up...I'm going to give them a hard time as long as this lasts, even if I end up buying another board.

But I won't be buying an asus board ever again until I start hearing glowing reviews about their customer service and RMA.

If there was a serial number on the board, ask for a good picture of the damage that includes both.

I believe Trents had the same issue trying to RMA a M5A97 Asus board there's a thread on here somewhere about it.

Edit: Found it.

True, but the least they can do is be less vague and send me some decent pictures. That's what gets me fired up...I'm going to give them a hard time as long as this lasts, even if I end up buying another board.

But I won't be buying an asus board ever again until I start hearing glowing reviews about their customer service and RMA.

Glowing Customer service would cost Asus a lot of money to implement and upkeep. They're all about the bottom line over there. Just buy their boards. They make a good board. If it explodes just buy a new one.

What kind of defeatist attitude is that? I could buy a board from a company that doesn't screw over their customers. Gigabyte has come a long way. I bought Asus for the longest time, but switched with my desktop build and am not looking back.

Back