• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6600 Vs e6420

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajanm1

is there much of a difference except the multi?
what can i typically expect on each for an OC on air, and also on high end water?

just trying to find out if the few extra mhz are worth the extra $ on the e6600

thanks

the e6420 JUST came out. there is no way to know what a typical OC would be on one.

but, i would say, the only diff is the multi. at least on paper.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
the e6420 JUST came out. there is no way to know what a typical OC would be on one.

but, i would say, the only diff is the multi. at least on paper.
That's the only difference I see, as of now.

Right, mainly the multiplier. As more people start playing with the new E6420, we'll start learning whether it's a good overclocker or not. So far, initial indications are they are on par with the E6600. The thing to remember though is you'll need a motherboard that is not FSB limited. For the E6420 to reach 3.6 gig, you'll need to do a stable 450 FSB compared to 400 FSB with the E6600. You'll also need good RAM that will do DDR2-900 speeds.

Last edited:
rajanm1 said:
is there much of a difference except the multi?
what can i typically expect on each for an OC on air, and also on high end water?

just trying to find out if the few extra mhz are worth the extra $ on the e6600

thanks

Given the same components, and that these components are good to the FSB needed, the 6420 should be faster at the same core clock given the higher memory bandwidth (due to higher FSB). The same is true for the 6320 compared to the 6420 and 6600. As to which will overclock higher, that's impossible to say right now. The trick is you can always turn the multi down, so it's "safer" to go with the higher multi CPU in terms of overclocking.

This brings up a question of mine, is the multiplier lock in the chip architecture itself or on the CPU board (perhaps one of the resistors)?
Dan

its in the cpu itself, no amount of tinkering will unlock the higher multis.

*edit* when you say "cpu board" i originally took it to mean the mobo, but you probably mean the pcb of the cpu, as opposed to the die itself.

i believe it is in the pcb and not the core, but still, no amount of tinkering will unlock those multis. unless you own a multi-billion dollar fab + the knowhow to reverse engineer. ;)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i believe it is in the pcb and not the core, but still, no amount of tinkering will unlock those multis. unless you own a multi-billion dollar fab + the knowhow to reverse engineer. ;)

That was my question. So basically, the dies are the same between 6xxx's just with different cpu pcb setups to give different multipliers and for the 6300 and 6400 lock out half the cache.
Dan

Get a E6420, mine is clocking like a madman (With stock cooling, I haven't even installed my watercooling yet). So far I haven't touched the voltage yet but it's doing 3.2 Ghz with ease. Both cores only 47 degrees (remember, this is stock cooling!)

Back