• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Socket 423 Pentium 4 1.6GHz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoshT

I'm wondering if I could Overclock my Pentium 4 Socket 423. I believe it is Willamette. It's going at an okay 1.6GHz.

Other Specs:
  • I've got some crap ram, 256MB PC2100 184-Pin DDR SDRAM.
  • A nice AGP RAGE 3D PRO ATI Graphics card...
  • The MotherBoard is a PC Chips M920...
  • 85-90GB (each) Master and Slave Drives

I'm hoping to get a few gigs of ram soon, atleast 1GB of Crucial.

So, is it worth it, and how must I go about overclocking it, if I am able to?

i would say its not even worth it. i wouldn't spend any money on that pc either. if you are looking at more ram, i would also look at a new cpu/mobo/video. there is the e4300 that is often sold in bundles, where you basically get the mobo for free. you could get a cpu/mobo for around $120-140.

as for what you have, IF your mobo is capable (and that is a BIG if, probably a NO), the most you will probably be able to get out of that cpu is like 1.8-1.9ghz. i had a 1.8 willy and a 2.0 willy. they were both 478 mind you. the 1.8 would only do 2.2ghz and the 2.0 would only do 2.4ghz.

if you'd like to try to OC what you've got, i'm sure we can help. can you enter your BIOS? what kinds of options does it allow in there?

*edit* if you live in the states, and have a Fry's near you, this is the type of deal i was talking about: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=507843
they have these combo deals all the time, not that i ever get to take advantage, living in Canada and all. :(

Go into the BIOS and see if you can raise the FSB from 100 to 110 MHz. That will give you 1.76 gig. Just be aware PC Chips motherboards are pretty crappy. If you can find more RAM really really cheap, that will help quite a bit. But like HBB said, don't spend too much on that system, it's not worth it.

Yeah, a lot of people have told me not to spend a bunch money on it.

Well, okay I was just wondering.

The reason for that is that an AMD Sempron CPU + cheap board for around $100 will kick that P4s butt in just about everything

Back