• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC's Phenom Review and Techinical info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
darnit man, get faster shipping or wait to post. The entire AMD section is losing sleep over the refresh button >.<

and he isn't kidding................................................................

:beer::drool::mad:

LMAO, Geezer Geeks!

... That was fun but these quads just blow all that away!
I'm curious if the Gigabyte board will run the new AMD tweaker program. Can't remember the name of it though. :-/ Like nTune but a souped up version for the Phenom. I'm waiting on any purchase 'til I'm sure the board will support it ...

Subscribed. Very interested to see how this overclocks and what kind of temps you'll get. If it overclocks well then this will be very welcome news! We need faster CPUs all round, regardless of brand :D

just to let folks know, the phenom reached a benchable 2.75ghz on a Asus AM2 mobo on STOCK voltage!

The thread was closed as the poster was a banned member @ XS.

But phenom on the 790 chipset could be very promising.. Seems the NB speed on the older AM2 mobo was holding it back.

Hides in alley :eek:

The @*$#ing board did'nt arrive today, shoulda paid the extra 10 bucks guess. Normally this stuff ships out of Memphis and gets here in 2 days but this one came from SoCal :temper:.

24 hours, think of it like waiting for Santa Claus. Actually I thought some others might have gotten rigs before I did and posted but not yet. Harlam357 jumped on a Q6600 so I'm going to have to squeeze the living transistors out of this thing so I don't get beaten.

The @*$#ing board did'nt arrive today, shoulda paid the extra 10 bucks guess. Normally this stuff ships out of Memphis and gets here in 2 days but this one came from SoCal :temper:.

24 hours, think of it like waiting for Santa Claus. Actually I thought some others might have gotten rigs before I did and posted but not yet. Harlam357 jumped on a Q6600 so I'm going to have to squeeze the living transistors out of this thing so I don't get beaten.

see my above post for motivation... :D There is a chance you could near 3ghz.

ups?

mine is comin outta cali to, in 2 packages. and ups saw fit to ship one straight to my hometown from vegas the other one they thought needed a scenic tour of utah. so it's on it's way 500 miles north to salt lake city. after passing through my town:mad: on it's way there:bang head and to make it even lamer they've done it before:-/ package 1 should be here tomorrow package 2 i hope will make it to but i doubt it

never had that problem with fedx

Yes! I did! :D Mine arrives Friday :cross fingers: and of course I challenged AC to a quad core F@H race. :D

I am in no way turning away from AMD... I will be building my Phenom the first of next year when the next stepping arrives *OR* I get a compatible bios for one of my AM2 mobos.

ryanmartini said:
see my above post for motivation... There is a chance you could near 3ghz.

Oh come on... you know he's gonna baby it. :D j/k ;)

I'm sure he'll push it on stock volts only to break it in and bench. Then next week I'll be pestering him to put some juice to it. Here AC, drink the water, it is good. :beer:

Ok i'm on board too now. Can't wait to see how this clocks. I'm especially looking forward to seeing how it folds too though.

Aha! Finally found it - AMD Overdrive. Let me know how it works out on that board ... ;)

http://www.rwlabs.com/category.php?page=amd_util

Does that Gigabyte board he's using utilize Hyper Transport 3.0? It would be sweet if so. Thanks to AC for taking the plunge. I myself will hold out till the 2008 Q1 Phenoms which will have some hopefully ship at 3.0 GHz.

Fixes Big Pitcher of Green Coolade. That GB Mobo is HT5200 or 2600x2. I see the out for delivery tag on the tracker so I should have the board tonight. I don't know how long the build with take but I hope to have power in it's veins my 9pm CST :drool:.
I will be messing with the stock OC at first, I want to get some low end SPI and 3Dmark benchmarks near 2.4Ghz. Monday I'll have 2x2G of GSkill DDR2-1000 (PC8000) so the ram gets updated. This should give me a chance to see what makes the Ram bandwidth crank because the low since scores I see on review sites suck! I'm hoping they just messed up ram timing on their test benches. I wait till Next week to crank it up, unless when I power it up and it says "FEED ME", then I crank it. My 3600 Brisbane was one of those chips that screamed out of the socket to be abused with high OCs.

BTW, Sorry for the, er, paper launch of a thread :eek: :D, just wanted to be like AMD. :D j/k
I wanted to get more interest looking at the positive side of what we have to play with. We know what the reviewers have done and have seen WindWithMe's review (great stuff) This will be a chance to take it from a consumer purchased CPU and Mobo, no ES samples or cherry picked parts sent to our honored reviewers. This weekend I should get some folding action in to see what kind of PPD to expect.

Great job AC, thanks for the effort to be the early adopter. I will definately go Phenom this Q1. I will be waiting for the 9700 instead, with the errata fixed.

Subscribed and GO AC.

Back