• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not 2 sockets, AM2 and AM2+ are called that way cause they use DDR2, AM3 uses DDR3. The chips however, that are AM3 have a DDR3 IMC and a DDR2 IMC. The first set of Denebs out will be AM2+ only as they only have DDR2+ IMC's in them.

What ****es me off is they said the 6500 was coming out in mid october and it never appeared, and what is really ****ing me off is that it is halfway through Q4 and we havent seen a damn review site with any samples of this 7000 series dual cores. Usually these places get them and review them like a month before they ship and can be bought, so if sites dont get them this week, we will not see any of their stuff till 09.

I agree I bit**** about that in an earlier post that is what got me on this forum in the first place.

I see what you are saying the first release CPU's will only have DDR2 support then move to DDR3 that is afu!!!! All i SEE IS AMD PI***** MORE PPL OFF If this is how they release they might be screwing themselves I think they need to reexamine what they are doing and not release their flagship proc with out DDR3 support.

EDIT: Screws with upgrade path. From what I had initially read or misunderstood was that all the next gen would be backward compatible with am2/am2+ and all would work on am3 I mean really what is the point of your fastest proc not taking advantage of new mem????
Maybe latency? but usually that is overcome to a point by extra clocks.

Last edited:
it's all for compatibility

how would AMD be able to release a phenom II with ddr3 support only when there isn't any ddr3 motherboard support yet. I mean it will come in time but if they release a chip that only was able to do ddr3 and no ddr3 board out atm then what do you use to test this chip with untill the mobo company's get off there arse?

per DragoXT: not 2 sockets, AM2 and AM2+ are called that way cause they use DDR2, AM3 uses DDR3. The chips however, that are AM3 have a DDR3 IMC and a DDR2 IMC. The first set of Denebs out will be AM2+ only as they only have DDR2+ IMC's in them.

and that looks that way to me on the chart as well so therefore that is how.

PER TGDaily: AMD schedules to launch its 45nm process socket AM3 family processors in the second half of 2008. The processors will support HyperTransport 3.0 and will have a built-in DDR2/DDR3 memory controller. The processors will be backward compatible with the previous AM2 and AM2+ socket motherboards, according to sources at motherboard makers.

So again I say AFU

Edit : I feel better now I wasnt wrong Drago AMD changed plans I AM VINDICATED I think?

Last edited:
it's all for compatibility

how would AMD be able to release a phenom II with ddr3 support only when there isn't any ddr3 motherboard support yet. I mean it will come in time but if they release a chip that only was able to do ddr3 and no ddr3 board out atm then what do you use to test this chip with untill the mobo company's get off there arse?

Not only that, but I bet AMD sees it just like us. The difference between DDR3 and DDR2 is very little right now. Yeah you can support Tri-Channel, but thanks to 100s of bench testing, the Nehalem has shown us that the difference is not extreme and the support for DDR2 should still be there. (On a side note, I would like to see the difference between DDR2 and DDR3, using dual and tri channel in a virtual server environment.)

On another note, I just want to get some clarification. Will the 940 be completely unlocked? If so, count me in on buying this guy in January (after University bills are paid).

Oh I will buy one!! I am saying release it with dual controller so that it can take advantage of newer boards with ddr3 (if there is an advantage) and also possible new tech in these mobos based on am3 when they are released.

there is no newer board if there was then I'm sure AMD would release it with both IMC controllers.

yes the 940 will be unlocked afaik

it is AMD saying their BE cpu's can hit 4Ghz on air and looks like 4.5+ on liquid? so 5Ghz could be reachable on a Phenom II? that'd be nice.

I think they are saying that will be the limit of the overclock on air (so most people on air will get to, say 3.6Ghz whilst some good batches will get to 4.0Ghz). Same with liquid I guess.

I just hope for 3.4-3.6ghz clocks on air as we are really already seeing these on the 9950's

Since the first release of the line-up is the X4 server chips it's probably more a matter of efficiency to release desktop X4's than trying to dictate to the market ...

K10 is out for a year and they still sell K8 based duals, a year should be enough time to offer something for the 95% of the desktop and notebook market.

I think they are saying that will be the limit of the overclock on air (so most people on air will get to, say 3.6Ghz whilst some good batches will get to 4.0Ghz). Same with liquid I guess.

If AMD is going to sell the 940s with unlocked multies as OC chips then they need to test them to reach 3.6G or better stable else sell them as standard. The principle requirements to reach 3.6G or betters are cooling and power deliver on a good board. Can they meet this?

Most likely. I don't think this is the AMD of 2007-2008. They are different. They saw what could happen when they were backed in a corner. They saw what could have happened if Intel was the only CPU maker out there, and they don't like it.

Looking at AMD right now, I could project that the 940 will be an unbeatable CPU. Most likely they will promote this chip as the "FX" of the Phenoms. Being able to deliver the performance for gamers and enthusiasts. But I bet that the price of this CPU will only be ~$100 more then the 9950BE.

Lets hope so because I built this rig when I read about the nonexistent 6500+ and if they dont give me something for Christmas I will go to Intel for a while.

Lets hope so because I built this rig when I read about the nonexistent 6500+ and if they dont give me something for Christmas I will go to Intel for a while.

enjoy your trip. let me remind you the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

IMO after seeing the results of i7 I think my next chip will be a amd over a intel as for now I enjoy playing with both.

Well I have a couple of p4's here but I really dont want to spent the $$$$ on an Intel system but Christmas in almost here and my tradition is a new egg shopping spree and I would rather pay less for more but I am just sick of all the BS and mouthwatering promises I want the PRODUCT!!!!

LOL you sound like a computer geek :D

xmas at newegg hehe

I know how you fell but I have already told myself that daddy is gonna have to get his x-mas late this yr. (something tells me it will be closer to around when taxes get back before daddy really get's his x-mas)

Maybe a gtx280 for x-mas to pass the time untill the new chips come out which are likely to be around mid feb...

If I can restrain myself I might do that but every time I go to the egg my trigger finger gets twitchy.

Back