• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rayrays build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Manny,

I know you are looking at GPU OC right now in this thread but what do you think about the latest 3DMark as opposed to Heaven for benchmarking and testing for system stability. In my limited experience with the two it seemed to me if my CPU OC wasn't completely stable that I could pass Heaven but not 3DMark. Is 3DMark more physics intensive?

Manny,

I know you are looking at GPU OC right now in this thread but what do you think about the latest 3DMark as opposed to Heaven for benchmarking and testing for system stability. In my limited experience with the two it seemed to me if my CPU OC wasn't completely stable that I could pass Heaven but not 3DMark. Is 3DMark more physics intensive?

Yes Trents it's the physics that'll crash you if the CPU isn't stable"enough"

That I did not know. And apparently I keep messing up my submissions on hwbot lol

Ya it took me a few tries to get them right ray. Just check the rules and follow that.

I can do 3d mark all day long as long as i dont mess with my gpu lmao. i think i have it decent right now though.

Manny,

Yeah Trents Rayray was looking to OC the Gpu now so I suggested Heaven as it is one of the tougher Gpu benches. I usually find if I can pass Heaven I can run that OC on all my games.

Yeah Trents Rayray was looking to OC the Gpu now so I suggested Heaven as it is one of the tougher Gpu benches. I usually find if I can pass Heaven I can run that OC on all my games.

Yesterday I had gotten it to pass on heaven and I didn't change anything and ran it again trying to get a benchmark for hwbot and it wouldn't run it all the way through again. But I am also using Sapphire Trixx because my MSI Afterburner will not unlock the voltage control.

Ray I purchased a similar kit a year or so ago, the only difference was the pump and reservoir, mine had a Ek 4.0 pump which was a bit more powerful. It's a good setup but may be a little lacking with the pump. If you have patience you can usually find used watercooling parts in the Classifieds here, which you should have access to now. I know there's a D5 pump there now for $40.00 which is pretty cheap. You can also find watercooling parts on Ebay. Just an fyi.

OK just trying to get a good idea on prices right now getting me a new case to house it all in first

Both myself and bamato have done water builds in the Air 540.

HIGHLY recommended. I have a link to the build log in my signature, check it out :thup:

I forgot you and Bamato built one up also. Thanks Atmin! I like that case a lot as well, I've though about doing a H20 loop for my lil guy in one, but I do not need another case!!!! Getting it past the misses will be the tough part. :D

Yea that case looks a lot better than what I was looking at. Checked it out on Newegg same price as the one I was looking at also

4.6.JPG

4.6mem.JPG

4.6spd.JPG

4.6HW.JPG

So had to restart with my OC was getting random lockups and had a random BSOD. wife is on it most of the day and never had problems go on once and it was acting up. So restarted everything, and overclocked the ram a little going to try and tighten up the timings once i do a good stability test. All these pics are after I ran Burn in Test, Prime 95 is next.

DDR3-1840 is not really just a small overclock of DDR3-1600 ram. Pretty good bump up. Timings are loose enough, but getting close to what might be a limit of DDR3-1600 ram speed wise. I might actually keep the ram speed close to default, until you get fully and completely stable, which you say was okay for the wife but turned wonky when you got onto the rig.

In the overall scope of everytime I fireup the rig to do whatever I might want to do...I might be P95 Blend stable @4.9Ghz, and actually cut my speed to 4.8Ghz just as insurance. When new to overclocking it is very hard to or at least time consuming to get the mind around the many variables. I would guess that in the 3 years that I have checked this forum section at least 5 or 6 times perday...we have had probably 20 odd posters come in and say they are running at X speed. Usually in a thread where some newer user is learning the ropes. Oddly if you 'press' that X speed poster, he is not able to pass 2 hours of P95 Blend mode. He/they/them are just putting a speed in use and no idea if it is/was/might be considered stable.

You RRFH are of a differing user type. You are not thru. U have not declared the job done. You will win. You may spend some more as budget systems usually need an upgrade for high speed all day or any day any time, but U are after that as well. Good luck man.
RGone...

Thanks man I'm not sure why iI started acting up before it had passed the 2 hour p95 blend test and everything and I hadn't changed any settings. IFor I had been paying attention I should have took a pic of what the error said. It actually was something to do with the memory. For the most part I have put all my setting back to where they were before and doing some different tests ad well as p95 so that I can do more ram tests. That's part of the reason I tried BIT. And I've already got a few plans to upgrade some of the budget parts. I know there is better stuff for over clocking out there.

4.5.JPG

4.5cpu.JPG

4.5spd.JPG
alright till I get a better case and my custom loop setup this is where it will stay at. just finished 2hrs of p95 blend as well as 2 hrs of AMD overdrive stability test and Burn In Test. No faults, freezes or BSOD. So once the upgrades start rolling in I will post up more pics.

Back