• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCSI or IDE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shane!

Registered
I have always been a SCSI user but i am considering a new HArd drive what are the best options for large storage but fast speed i have my own ideas but i want to hear what you think.

Well SCSI will give you the best performance, but for large storage an IDE might be the better choice.

I guess I would say get an IDE. What type of large storage are you talking about? 80GB, 120GB, 200GB?

You could get a Western Digital 180GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Model# WD1800JB. But that's only if you want that much space.. so again, how much space are you looking for.

I bought SCSI drives for personal systems a couple of different times in the previous millinium; in both cases, when the SCSI drives became obsolete, I didn't consider the money well spent. Yes, those drives were absolute top-of-the line at time of purchase. I still own one of them; it's a 9-GB SCSI that is collecting dust on the shelf.

Much depends on what your intended use is, but I normally suggest IDE drives unless you have some special need which specifically warrants SCSI.

Dave

It depends on how you use your computer. I prefer SCSI because I can have more drives. SCSI also has less overhead so uses the processor less.
For the average user with a hard drive or 2, a burner and a CD-ROM, IDE is just fine and costs less. With the current IDE, there is not that much differnce in performance, unless you RAID or have U320.
SCSI lets me have fewer cables and longer cables. I have 6 drives on one 5 foot long cable. If I run out of room in my case, SCSI will let me run a cable to another case and have drives there.
There are many things SCSI can do, but most people do not need them. There is no problem with having a computer that has both :cool:

Oh, and if you think a 9GB SCSI is obsolete, you can send it to me. That is the size that the majority of the servers I see use. they usually have 6 9GB in RAID 5 and do just fine.

Back