• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which SATA Hard Drive Should I Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

I want a SATA hard drive, but I don't know which one to buy. So far, I've been looking at this

Which hard drive should I get? It does not need to the one that I listed. Price is important.

EDIT:

All I need to know now is which is least annoying to listen to.

Last edited:
samsung hdds are very fast, not noisy, not really hot and they have a very low fail rate and are the cheapest! i just got a 160gb samsung hdd for the price of a 80gb hdd from wd maxtor or seagate here in germany!

dont get a hatachi or IBM they die and will die.....and did i mention they die...? Get somthing with quality like a seagate

I've had my Seagate Barracudas now for around five months and have had 0 problems. My vote is Seagate.

SK8 said:
dont get a hatachi or IBM they die and will die.....and did i mention they die...? Get somthing with quality like a seagate
On the contrary. The Deskstar massive failure amount was only for the IDE drives, now that IBM isn't doing their own hard drives, you really have nothing to worry about. :thup:

Dont be spooked off from buying the best non "Raptor" SATA hard drive available at this time.

The days of the IBM "Death Star's" is over.

Very nice hard drive...As you can see in my sig that I am speaking from experience.

PCMark with my 120gig WD JB was right at 1000...The Hitachi is scoring about 1250.

HD Tach...ATTO...You name it the Hitachi just smokes the WD.

I personally think they are the way to fly unless you have the duckies for the WD Raptors.

Basically, I'm being told that they are all good.

The Hitachi seems to have slightly better specs than the others; It has 8.5 ms average seek time and a 3-year warranty.

All I want to know is:

Which one is least annoying to listen to?

just installed a seagate 80GB 2 months ago in one comp---LOUD!!! I had more clickety-click than i could handle. I thought i was gonna go mad.

installed a Western Digital 80GB 1 month ago in another comp-- sweet and quiet.

I do care about speed, but if the thing is gonna be obnoxiously loud, forget it. (yes, the seagate is prolly quieter when it's not reading/writing)

I can't comment on any other brands for SATA, sorry

I just had a Seagate ST380013AS die on me after 33 days.

I am in the process of talking to tech support to see if they will be able to send me an exact replacement since I had it in a RAID0 array...now only time will tell me if they have good warranty/tech support.

My harddrive before this set was a Maxtor ATA drive. That one bit the dust relatively quickly as well (couple months, maybe?) Their customer service was great though, they shipped me a new drive ASAP and it ended up being 20 gigs larger (unfortunately that's NOT what I want with my Seagate situation!)

Maybe I just have bad luck with drives.

I'd say give the Hitachi a try...I was eyeing it before I bought my drives, but it was just a little too pricy at the time, so I went with the Seagates. Check out some reviews FIRST though...because it was the seek time that really caught my eye and companies are infamous for listing times that end up being WAY off under benchmark and real world testing scenarios.

One more vote for Hitachi.

I've been using two of their 80gb SATA drives in a RAID array (same drives you linked to) for several months now, and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are inaudible above my CPU fan. You shouldn't base sound as a high priority, almost all drives currently built have FDB motors, and are next to silent.

Check out the review that was posted, it has measurements of the sound output produced by the various drives.

I've owned lots of Deskstars, 300mb and up, I've never had an IBM/Hitachi drive die on me. Most of the people that say bad things about Hitachi/IBM are either parrots (repeat other peoples words over and over again, without having personal experience), or owned one of the notorious "deathstars" the 60/75GXP.

That being said, all hard drives, being mechanical in nature, are prone to failure. According to storagereview.com, the hitachi's reliability rivals that of the other manufacturers.

The Hitachi's currently offer the best bang for the buck, period.

Back