• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA power connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

Lemme guess... Did the same people who designed USB connectors designed SATA power connectors? I've had to disconnect and reconnect my drive several times today and Molex connectors were certainly easier. I know the serial ATA connectors have a ridge on one side, but still, would it have been too difficult to make the connector a trapazoid shape or something easy to discern?!?!?

Sorry, had to rant.

well I don't think its the connectors problem. You have a sata drive on that system? I think you might have maxed your PSU

dicecca112 said:
well I don't think its the connectors problem. You have a sata drive on that system? I think you might have maxed your PSU

No... you missed my point. I'm irritated because I have to fumble around with my SATA power connectors because unless you get close to the drive, it's hard to tell which way the connector plugs in.

How hard would it be to make a connector shaped like:
_______
/ \
----------

Please excuse my lack of ASCII art talant. A connector like that IMMEDIATELY tells you which way to plug it in. USB plugs are annoying in that aspect too.

I wish I could patent that shape for plugs.

EDIT: I can't use spaces in my ascii art... I was trying to make a trapazoid shape.

True, but I still can never seem to get them in correctly on my first try :D

I don't know what was going through either people's minds (...perhaps it was the same person! :eek: ), but a nice simple trapazoid would indeed be a lot easier IMHO. Perhaps they just didn't want the hot-plugging ability of SATA to be too easy for the average Joe :D

JigPu

Back