• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy, Crucial Ballistix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L>MS

What the hell? Go over to Anandtech and check out their new memory, Crucial Ballistix are able to acheive DDR514 at 2.5-2-2-5 (only one to acheive the same timings at same voltages on AMD systems aswell) timings and only 2.75 volts (covered by warranty). And get this, direct from the Crucial site they are only 277 bucks for 2x512. I wish I had that money right now.

Time to find some money... there is no way these can stay around for that long.

L>MS said:
What the hell? Go over to Anandtech and check out their new memory, Crucial Ballistix are able to acheive DDR514 at 2.5-2-2-5 (only one to acheive the same timings at same voltages on AMD systems aswell) timings and only 2.75 volts (covered by warranty). And get this, direct from the Crucial site they are only 277 bucks for 2x512. I wish I had that money right now.

Time to find some money... there is no way these can stay around for that long.

oh my... this makes me want to put my 3700 EB's on ebay even more... those ballistix sound awesome.

I think the real kicker in that review was the OCZ pc3200 r2 at 278Mhz......it beat out the next closest sticks by 24.5Mhz......and they are using the same samsung IC's. What ever OCZ does with their ram they do it REAAAAAAAAL good!

Steve

mrspec3 said:
I think the real kicker in that review was the OCZ pc3200 r2 at 278Mhz......it beat out the next closest sticks by 24.5Mhz......and they are using the same samsung IC's. What ever OCZ does with their ram they do it REAAAAAAAAL good!

Steve

yeah i saw that. very very impressive. and thats only at 2.85V!!!.i wonder if they laser etched them for better cooling?? my experience is that sammys will respond to voltage. wonder what theyll do at 3.2 v..??

flapperhead said:
yeah i saw that. very very impressive. and thats only at 2.85V!!!.i wonder if they laser etched them for better cooling?? my experience is that sammys will respond to voltage. wonder what theyll do at 3.2 v..??

I'll see what I can dig up :D

Is the PC4000 Ballistix the same as the PC3200 stuff? I think some cherry picking is going on in that review.

Last edited:
aldamon said:
Is the PC4000 Ballistix the same as the PC3200 stuff?

actually it should be called pc3200/pc4000 . cause it does both.. in ocz's case, it actually runs from pc3200-4400.. thats amazing..

dreIU said:
Just ordered 2*512 PC3200 ballistix. if they do better than my 3700 EB's, look for the EB's on the classifieds :D

It will be very interesting to see how they do against the eb's.

I had a gig of the Ballistix stuff. wasnt too impressed. It wont do 260fsb no matter the voltage or timings. Anandtech comparisons make me laugh. Even at 2.5-2-2-6 at 250fsb at 3.24volts it wouldnt load windows.

flapperhead said:
what kind of mb are u running???

mobo? it will be the epox nf3 250gb board (cant quite recall the name)...

situman, I am sorry to hear that.. I hope that wont be the case for me :D

cruc1fy, that price isnt too bad. did you get them off crucial's website? free 2nd day air. the EB's were 350 shipped, so that's not a bad deal.

mrspec3 said:
Anand got some cherry sticks from crucial it looks like. Read the comments

I read the comments and...

We have seen reports of some variability in the performance of the Ballistix memory, and overclocking results are never guaranteed. However, our results with another pair of Ballistix DIMMs were very similar.

sounds good to me.

What ever OCZ does with their ram they do it REAAAAAAAAL good!
Yeah...they seem awfully good at cherry-picking review samples. It seems like their review samples always do wonderfully, and then the actual products only perform at a mediocre level. :-/ Nothing personal with you, Mrspecs, don't get me wrong. :) Some more results on that Crucial would be interesting, just to see if they really are doing the same thing.

*Edit* After some thought, let me rephrase that. The OCZ EB seems to do quite well, in all honestly. Just not as good as the review samples. To say that they're mediocre modules is a little unfair.

Last edited:
johan851 said:
Yeah...they seem awfully good at cherry-picking review samples. It seems like their review samples always do wonderfully, and then the actual products only perform at a mediocre level. :-/ Nothing personal with you, Mrspecs, don't get me wrong. :) Some more results on that Crucial would be interesting, just to see if they really are doing the same thing.

*Edit* After some thought, let me rephrase that. The OCZ EB seems to do quite well, in all honestly. Just not as good as the review samples. To say that they're mediocre modules is a little unfair.

Well most people I've seen have had better results than Anand with all sticks out there.....from like every company. But the Ballistix I've seen on the forums I go to have never performed like those anand got. Maybe they newer bacthes overclock better which is good. We just have to wait and see what the real (forum people's) results are.

Steve

edit*

It would seem only logical that companies send out thier best sticks to review sites and I'm sure everyone does it or has at one time or another. What would be nice to see is a review site that buy's samples or gets them some other way that company direct. So maybe it's not fair to say the crucial sticks are cherry, but if they don't perform like the ones people can buy it makes reviews worthless.

It would seem only logical that companies send out thier best sticks to review sites and I'm sure everyone does it or has at one time or another. What would be nice to see is a review site that buy's samples or gets them some other way that company direct. So maybe it's not fair to say the crucial sticks are cherry, but if they don't perform like the ones people can buy it makes reviews worthless.
Yeah, that's my point exactly. There was one roundup a couple years ago that went ahead and bought all the sticks, but I haven't seen one like it since.

Back