• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Sanyo Denki Long Life fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
Have two of these fans and wondering anyone knows about the pins/cables assignment ?

It has 4 cables which are :

• Red : Positive
  • Black : Negative
  • Yellow : ?
  • Brown : ?

Possibilities that I could think of are rpm sensor, locked motor sensor, pwm signals, others else maybe ?

Have been through their web sites, datasheet and the labeling format, still no clue.

Appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Click the image to enlarge it.

Pic of the fan :
P1000704 SanAce120L.jpg

The datasheet for Long Life 120mm x 38mm, and it is not in there.

Sanyo Denki Long Life Datasheet.PNG

Sanyo Denki labeling system for Long Life series, again, not there either.

Sanyo Denki Long Life Label.PNG

The query result from their web site

Sanyo Denki Spec 9GL1212V1J03.PNG

Last edited:
POst a picture of the connector, too. If it is like the CPU 4 pin connector then the PWM wire can be easily identified.

POst a picture of the connector, too. If it is like the CPU 4 pin connector then the PWM wire can be easily identified.

The connector is proprietary and I believe this fan is pulled from never used spare part for big mainframe cooling system and still like new & no dust at all.

Yes, I know what you mean, its not even close to the standard 4 pins connector like in the Intel stock cooler type.

The connector looks more like a 4pin 12V ATX connector yes? That's what my Denki's came with b4 I chopped them off and replaced them with standard 3 pin connectors for use with my controller. However, mine only had the Black, Red and Yellow wires from the motor. As for the 4th wire, how many other server fans have you seen with Locked Motor or PWM sensors? Are they common? I've only ever seen PWM fans for use on the CPU itself, and I've never heard of one with a Locked motor sensor.

If I remember right, yellow or blue is RPM sensor, and white is PWM. I don't know if they would use a different color for PWM or not. Any chance you have access to the pinouts of the connectors that it came from?

I'm guessing that the yellow is either a rpm sensor or locked rotor sensor and I have no clue about the other. Maybe you might PM SSS a link to this thread as I believe he has some knowledge on the Denki long life fans. And it will for sure make him jealous if you got a good deal on them too. Those fans sell for over $100 each here in the US.

@baditude_df
You could be right, and if they're consistent with the color scheme, that yellow pin might be the tach/rpm sensor line.

@deadlysyn
Nope, I was told the connector is proprietary and got them in chopped condition without any connector on it.

@mudd,
Thanks, PMed SS.
About the deal on that two fans ?
Ok, thanks for the head up, I think its better not to let him know how much I paid for them, worry he might get sooo jealous that he could ban me for that. :D .... j/k

@baditude_df
You could be right, and if they're consistent with the color scheme, that yellow pin might be the tach/rpm sensor line.

@deadlysyn
Nope, I was told the connector is proprietary and got them in chopped condition without any connector on it.

@mudd,
Thanks, PMed SS.
About the deal on that two fans ?
Ok, thanks for the head up, I think its better not to let him know how much I paid for them, worry he might get sooo jealous that he could ban me for that. :D .... j/k

Was this an ebay type of deal? Any chance you could find out the model of server they came out of? Then you could possibly cross reference the outputs on the board to find out which wire is what.

If anything, I trust that SSS will know. He seems to know his Denki's better than anyone here.:thup:

Sort of, about the model of server, I think thats not possible, it cames from IBM mainframe parts, not intel platform. :D

Yeah, still waiting response from SS.

Hello,

Welcome....I am new to this forum and this is my first post, it feels great to be a part of a growing internet community.

I would love to participate with nice tips and tricks I learned in my several years of online experimenting...

Regards,

Sort of, about the model of server, I think thats not possible, it cames from IBM mainframe parts, not intel platform. :D

Yeah, still waiting response from SS.

That does seem to make it a bit harder. I was hoping to be of some more help, but I don't think there is much more I can offer.:thup:

SSS seems to be a bit busy, but I'm sure he would be more than happy to respond when he has a bit of spare time.:D

This is the closest thing I could find on their Japanese site. Link

The PDF says the Yellow one is the sensor.
Red +, Black or Blue is -, nothing about brown.

If you plan to undervolt them or can use them please let us know how it works out, I am eying some of their Long Life fans, have two plastic ones already but not sure these worth an extra 20$ over those

Here is the datasheet for a contemporary PWM San Ace.

Wow , nice find !! :clap: Thank you Ehume !!! :thup:
I've been trying for days at all sanyo denki sites for these kind of datasheet, never realize its hidden at newark's. :(

What really sparks my interest in that datasheet is this pics :

Sanyo Denki 4 wires desc.PNG

That is very convincing, I'm going to try it next week on Intel mobo cpu fan header, need to make the connector 1st.

I got them like this without any connector attached, just chopped cables, also you can see the cable's color as I explained earlier.

Again, many thanks. :)

Click pic to enlarge.
2drhnqo.jpg

This is the closest thing I could find on their Japanese site. Link

The PDF says the Yellow one is the sensor.
Red +, Black or Blue is -, nothing about brown.

If you plan to undervolt them or can use them please let us know how it works out, I am eying some of their Long Life fans, have two plastic ones already but not sure these worth an extra 20$ over those

I will try with PWM 1st at the mobo cpu fan header, since this is the most efficient way to slow it down and will still reporting the correct rpm.

Honestly, these are the best fan I've ever owned.

Btw, how much in $ these kind of long life Sanyo fan in Japan ? Are they easy to find there ?

These are Long Life series, they supposed to be more expensive than the regular one. ;)

.​

They are around 4-5X the cost of the regular Sanyo Denki fans here in the US, bing. I was just on the newark.com website checking out some Denki fans and the 1 long life fan they have in stock sells for $91. And I don't think it is a PWM model either.

I ran across something that might interest you too, bing. I just ordered this San Ace 9CR1212P0G03 from newark, which is a compound 120 x 76 mm fan made by Sanyo Denki. I just thought the Delta GFB models were bad-***, but I can't wait to get this screamer. Here's the specs on it:

Rated voltage: - 12v, operating voltage - 10.8-13.2 v
Rated current: - 7.2 amps, 86.4 watts :drool:
Rated airflow: - 8.5 m³/min, 300 cfm :eek:
Rated pressure: - 480 Pa, 1.93 inches H²O :shock:
Noise: - 70 dB(A) :-/

The one I ordered is also a PWM fan too, not that there is a mobo around that could control that beast. I went with the PWM version for a few bucks more since I know it has rpm sensing too.Here's the Sanyo Denki spec page on it: Linky

If you look at that page, you will see that our guesses turned out to be right on the control wire and sensor wire. Yellow is definitely the sensor wire and the brown is the PWM control wire. And here's the stock picture of the beast for you to look at (until I get it and can post good pics of it).

Attachments

• sanyo denki beast.jpg
    sanyo denki beast.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,039
I ran across something that might interest you too, bing. I just ordered this San Ace 9CR1212P0G03 from newark, which is a compound 120 x 76 mm fan made by Sanyo Denki. I just thought the Delta GFB models were bad-***, but I can't wait to get this screamer. Here's the specs on it:

The one I ordered is also a PWM fan too, not that there is a mobo around that could control that beast. I went with the PWM version for a few bucks more since I know it has rpm sensing too.Here's the Sanyo Denki spec page on it: Linky

If you look at that page, you will see that our guesses turned out to be right on the control wire and sensor wire. Yellow is definitely the sensor wire and the brown is the PWM control wire. And here's the stock picture of the beast for you to look at (until I get it and can post good pics of it).

Oh, man! I've been drooling over that fan for months. I couldn't justify it, so I got the 9G1212P4G03, which is a 120x25mm PWM fan. I'm waiting for a PWM plug, but I tried it on 12v, 5v and a fan controller. It is quite a trooper, and is still a powerful fan at 5v!

I have visions of getting some PVC and a 12v battery and making a battery powered leaf blower with the fan you ordered. I can't think of what else to do with it.

Please post a video on You Tube. Show us what you can blow away with it.

Interesting: the outlet fan has fewer blades, differently shaped blades and a lower RPM from the intake fan.

They are around 4-5X the cost of the regular Sanyo Denki fans here in the US, bing. I was just on the newark.com website checking out some Denki fans and the 1 long life fan they have in stock sells for $91. And I don't think it is a PWM model either.

Wow, mudd, that fan looks beastly. What was the price on it? I should be able to save on shipping, since there seems to be a Newark.com warehouse just down the highway in Phoenix. I could probably benefit quite a bit from them on this GTS360 rad I have (30 FPI:eek:), but chances are it would take a separate PSU just to power them, and does anyone make a fan controller that could tame 3 of them?

You would have to make your own high powered fan controller for controlling 3 of them for sure. I basically bought the thing for 2 reasons:

1. It's the baddest *** fan I have ever seen the specs on and totally eclipses anything even Delta offers for sale. This fan is moving 48 cfm more air and with 13.145 mm more air pressure than the Delta PFB1212UHE 120 X 38 mm fan and 80 cfm and 33.982 mm more pressure than the Delta GFB1212 VHW. I don't know of any 120 mm fan that can match it for airflow or pressure. :D

2. I will use this beast for extreme fan pressure testing with heatsinks. :eek:

As for cost, well let's say that I really shouldn't have bought it.:chair: With shipping it will be around $100. But, I don't know of anyone testing with one of these, not even the benching crowd (yet at least).

edit:BTW@ bing, I ran across this Denki fan on their site that shows the same basic specs as you posted in your first post. Looks like you will need a fan controller that can handle a 23 watt fan if you want to put it on a controller.

Last edited:
Wow Mudd, if I'm not mistaken, that beast is the most powerful 120mm DC fan in the world, actually its in one of my wish list. It beats Delta GFB1212VHW out of the water.

Please, put it in the fan list in your mandatory HSF test will ya ? :D

About controlling PWM fan, I believe yours is the same as mine, you need a PWM controller at the PWM pin that capable of generating the PWM signal at the frequency of 25Khz, same spec as Intel's CPU hsf fan.

Traditional linear fan controller like high powered rheostat or custom DIY like the one in my sig is the only option, still again, suggesting you to build a pwm controller, its far more efficient for these kind of PWM fan.

Or hook it on Intel CPU fan header, but only at the PWM and RPM signal only and use program like SpeedFan or thru Bios to control it. The rest positive and negative lines must be connected directly at the PSU or you'll toast the mobo real fast.

About my two fans, yeah, they're actually like gem for me, and bought them at a really-really-really ... good price. :D

What interesting is they're capable of 4800 rpm, 180 cfm and with PWM + RPM Sensor. While in the standard LongLife 120mm series datasheet, the most powerful one is at 3600 rpm with 137 cfm only.

Guess mine are quite a rare species. ;)

Can't wait for the connector to come, so I can try it.

Back