• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's my system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

I am almost ready to order the parts for this system. I just would like some feedback about my plans.

This PC will run Linux. I will be using it for GIMP and similar programs along with office applications.

Here is my current plan:

RatPadz Model GS Mousing Surface/ Mouse Pad, OEM

EVERCASE Beige ATX MID-TOWER CASE, Model "E4252-91" -RETAIL

Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, Retail

Arctic Silver 5. 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube.

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite PS2 104keys -OEM

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

ABIT nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S" -RETAIL

Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse BLACK PS2/USB -OEM

AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB, 512K Cache - OEM

Jaton nVIDIA GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 128MB DDR, Dual VGA, 8X AGP, Model "3DFORCE MX4000Twin" -RETAIL

SP-97

Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive(s)
--------------------------------

I have two major questions:

1. What can I do to get a keyboard whose keys are not labeled aside from using stickers or marker?

2. Can I get a better deal than $92 on the RAM? (It can be a different brand if its still good.)

Thanks
---------------------------
Changes to system:

CD-RW drive changed to a Combo drive

Last edited:
everythnig looks good , only bad thing is ive been hear that the NF7-S has been slipping as of latly

1. im not sure , someone might be along with more info

2. you can look on price watch , there starting about $79 there for a stick of 512mb PC-3200

The RAM is fine, unless you want to source parts from several places(where you will then pay for shipping) just keep the Corsair VS. I have NO idea what a GeForce 4000 is, but if you aren't doing any gaming, it's probably fine.

For $10 more you can get a combo drive(dvd player + cdrw) same brand, too.

I'd also switch out for SATA. There's almost no price difference, and you're paying for the connections with the NF7-S.(opposed to the much cheaper NF7) Just seems logical to me.

Doesn't Linux support 64-bit? Why not go the AMD64 route?

It might be a little bit more expensive, and won't overclock as well, but you'll be doing stuff twice as fast, you also won't have to buy aftermarket heatsinks, fans, or thermal paste. :)

Also, make sure that its Artic Silver 5, not some generic stuff.

tom10167 said:
The RAM is fine, unless you want to source parts from several places(where you will then pay for shipping) just keep the Corsair VS. I have NO idea what a GeForce 4000 is, but if you aren't doing any gaming, it's probably fine.

For $10 more you can get a combo drive(dvd player + cdrw) same brand, too.

I'd also switch out for SATA. There's almost no price difference, and you're paying for the connections with the NF7-S.(opposed to the much cheaper NF7) Just seems logical to me.

Doesn't Linux support 64-bit? Why not go the AMD64 route?

It might be a little bit more expensive, and won't overclock as well, but you'll be doing stuff twice as fast, you also won't have to buy aftermarket heatsinks, fans, or thermal paste. :)

Also, make sure that its Artic Silver 5, not some generic stuff.

Oops, I accidently deleted "Arctic."

What's a good SATA hard drive?

64-bit is 32 bits too expensive.

Does anyone know what makes 64-bit processors 64-bit?

1. Will an SP-97 fit on this motherboard?

2. I've never overclocked before. Should I get a DFI board? If so, which one should I get that will fit an SP-97 and whose BIOS will allow me to change the multiplier?

Last edited:
Stupid Boy said:
1. Will an SP-97 fit on this motherboard?

2. I've never overclocked before. Should I get a DFI board? If so, which one should I get that will fit an SP-97 and whose BIOS will allow me to change the multiplier?

Answer to question 1 Yes http://www.thermalright.com/support_default.htm NF7's that is!!!

DFI seems to have a higher FSB that can be achievable. The only DFI board that can use a SP-97 is the LANPARTY KT400A according to Thermalright's site. You will have to use the NEO backplate for the LANPARTY NF2 ULTRA B & INFINITY NF2 ULTRA.

Last edited:
Back