• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sata again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I have not personaly used SATA....the drives that use it (other than the raptor) are not any faster.
The reason is SATA has a bandwidth of 150mb/s, PATA (which is parrallel ATA) IDE has ATA133 and ATA100 (which is 133mb/s, and 100mb/s. It would seem like SATA is faster, however, the drives themseleves cannot saturate even 100mb/s so there is no perofrmance gain. They are nice though because they save space with the thinner cables.

But if your on a budget get PATA, there's no point in getting a SATA drive unless you can find it cheaper. performance wise there is no gain.

yup, most boards now come with both SATA and PATA (I think every board has PATA...but I could be wrong on that). Opticals are PATA...atleast I don't know of any SATA opticals, would be nice to see them though (if there the same price as the PATA...again because of the cable thing, that's why SATA is cool, its not it's speed.

I didn't read the longer answer, but I'd say SATA is faster in some ways. Nothing I've encountered ever runs at it's maximum bandwidth. 100baseT ethernet is supposed to run @ 100MB/s, but I've never seen over 20MB on my LAN. I would have to asume that ATA100 doesn't use it's maximum bandwidth either, possibly around 66MB/s. Therefore, my guess is SATA is still faster, even if it only runs at 100MB/s or below.

Back