• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P180 or V1000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vulcan

I need some help... I recently bought a used Lian Li V1000, unfortunatly I had some issues with that case so I'm sending it back. Now I need to find a different case for my new system.

Basicly I cannot decide between the Antec P180 and the Lian Li V1000 Plus w/ a 120mm Blowhole. Cost wise the P180 is about 100.00 cheaper, but I'm definatly going to have cable reach issues with my power supply and will have to use extensions or get a different power supply. The internal design of both is similar and their cooling abbilities should be pretty closeas well. As far as looks go I think the V1000 comes out on top by a little bit. For build quality obviously the V1000 is built almost entirely out of aluminum while the P180 uses LOTS of plastic.

I think I would jump on the P180 if I didn't have to deal with cable extensions or getting a new power suply. I'm not even sure what I could replace my S12 with and I'm really just having a hard time justifying 240.00 for the lian li (200.00 + 20 for blowhole + 20 for shipping).

I can tell you that I really am happy with my p-180. Cooling is great. I think it came with 3 120mm fans and i added 2. Sound reduction is great. Wiring is fine with the power supply i have. Looks a lot nicer than the generic stuff i have used in the past.
my 2 cents :)

Yes the P180 is "plastic" but it's more of a fancy, functional sound killing polymer stuff. It has a lot more under the outer skin than it appears, just check out the weight on it. By the time you stick in a quality PS, your optical drives, and HDD, it's a heavyweight beast. Just don't try to pull the case around by the front door and you will be ok.

I am hoping Seasonic will release a model with longer leads to accomodate these newer case designs, even though their website says they have no intentions.

I have yet to assemble mine, but from the feel of it, I really like mine :) Good for the price $116 + tax. No rebates hassle.

i'm in the boat of, if a case costs more than $200, then there's better things to spend my money on.

that said, as an owner of the p180 (having migrated most recently from a p160) i'm quite a happy customer.

the case is not without it's faults, but the fact that it's made of (lots of) steel and not aluminum makes sense from an acoustical perspective - I'll probably never buy an aluminum again unless I buy quieter innards to begin with. However, as woodchuck mentioned, once everything is loaded inside the weight is phenomenal (earthquake proof?)! Not a frequent-LANner's case to be sure.

The quality of construction really suprised me, but then I've never owned a $200+ case before so you probably have seen it all as far as quality of construction. Where plastic is used on the case - it doesn't seem like it was put there to cut corners or save money - it's quite solid throughout, and yes, a lot of that plastic is what you don't see inside composite side panels and door - we're told it's a plastic, but then all you'll see is the aluminum skin.

This is a tank of a case. ready for war, and ready to injure those trying to lift it. I'm thinking the $100+ difference, if you are willing, would be better spent elsewhere on your system... I'd probably get a mystique soundcard for my system, but that's me...

I'm quite happy with my purchase of a p180, and I can only imagine that you probably would be to... good luck deciding!

Well, I would be perfectly happy with the P180 if I wouldn't have to get either a new power supply or use extension, which can cause voltage drop. The P180 really should have an inverted motherboard because of the fact the power supply is at the bottom.

I have been saying the exact same thing. My S12, as I have stated in the other thread about P180s (and I am sure you have read it) just reaches the ATX slot, which does kind of worry me. I would think with a bit of dremeling though it would fit a bit better, but I haven't gone through and taken all of my parts out yet to even try to get that started.

I'd probably get the V1000 because I think it looks better and although I have never used cases from either brand I prefer Lian Li. But because of the huge price discrepency I'd probably get the P180 (these two are the same cases I was considering).

ebill_03 said:
I'd probably get the V1000 because I think it looks better and although I have never used cases from either brand I prefer Lian Li. But because of the huge price discrepency I'd probably get the P180 (these two are the same cases I was considering).

while i'm no case connoisseur, I have owned both antecs and lian li's in the past... I wouldn't advise giving an automatic preference to a lian li just based on reputation. Don't get me wrong - they make great cases to be sure, but I think a lot of their "user satisfaction" rating rides on the fact that the cases cost a lot more than other options. How many really act dissatissfied with their purchase after they've laid down tons of money?

Again, there's no doubt the lian li name is something you can generally rely on for a sign of quality, but antec has and is making cases that I would say rival some of lian li's attempts in the quality department, especially if you consider what you're getting for the money (bang for the buck).

My past two cases were a Super lanboy and a PC-V1000. And the quality of the lanboy is nowhere close to of the Lian Li. The Aluminum Lian Li uses is much thicker, and much stronger. My super lanboy i could make dents with my finger nails in the aluminum, with the Lian Li, i can swing it against the wall with no damage to the case. I'm not joking either, its an incredible difference between the quality.

I'm not a person who makes a whole lot of money, but without a doubt Lian Li cases are worth every penny.

Kind of a thread jack, but which has better cooling: The P-180 or the PC-75? Just both at stock without any mods. And is there any room for watercooling with the P-180?

Jacobman said:
Kind of a thread jack, but which has better cooling: The P-180 or the PC-75? Just both at stock without any mods. And is there any room for watercooling with the P-180?
Definatly the P180.

$220 seems a bit much for that PC-75 though. I think i will probly be fine with air cooling for a while. Although if i wanted i could put one 120mm radiator on the back and just use it on my cpu.

ahh what a cool thread im going to buy the Antec P180 myself probably this week! lol Tho did you say that the Seasonic cableing isn't quite long enough is that right or am i getting thigs wrong because im tired?

I was going to buy a Seasonic psu with the case when i go and buy it, tho im sure the shop would say before hand if there was any poblems i want to be one step ahead

Anyway sorry for jumping in with my questions, my oppinion tho ive not owned any of them is probably the antec one due to the price but if you have the cash spare no problems hey?!

Back