• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot load/read RAID drivers during XP Pro install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Min-Pin

Registered
Cannot load/read RAID drivers during XP Pro install!

I cannot get Windows XP Pro SP2 to install the correct RAID drivers from a floppy (only way to install them during setup) using the "F6" method. F6 method = When XP installation from CD begins, one of the very first screens asks if additional drivers are needed for RAID (etc) , so it has you press F6 to load them from floppy (no other choices but floppy).

I have enabled RAID in the BIOS for the ICH9R chipset on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3r (rev 1) and created a RAID 1 array in the BIOS RAID setup utility using two WD SATAII HDDs. They are attached to ports SATA 0 and SATA1. Everything is fine to this point. The BIOS RAID setup displays the disk and RAID information, everything appears to be perfect at this point.

I downloaded "motherboard_driver_sataraid_intel_bootdisk_32.exe" from the Gigabyte (and Intel) site and extracted all files to a floppy disk. I then boot from my Windows XP Pro SP2 CD and begin OS installation. I press F6 for the RAID driver and choose and confirm Intel ICH9R RAID. Windows setup then continues for a minute or so and then says: "Setup cannot copy the file: iaStor.sys". It gives me the option to retry <enter>, skip the file <ESC>, or quit <F3>. <Enter> does nothing but re-display the same message and I cannot skip the file and do not wish to quit my install. This driver is required for proper install/setup.

I have downloaded the driver file 4 times and have tried 5 different floppy disks. I reformatted the disks and re-copied the driver files. I even pullled the floppy drive out of my old computer (I tested it first, it works perfectly) and that did not help.

How do I fix this?

I sent a tech support request to Gigabyte and no response yet.

Searching the web showed that this is a common problem but none of the fixes seemd applicable but I will continue searching.

If the above doesn't help, you might try to slipstream the drivers into the XP install disc. I had a very similar problem (although with different hardware) and that was the only way it would find all the files.

If you ever updata your OS to Vista 32-bit Home Premium (and probably most anything else) in the future, when you do take out your HDDs, if your HDD(s) are dynamic (as RAID volumes are) and even if they are not RAIDed and they're dynamic anyway, do not just delete all data on them and expect them to work because they won't. They will be useless. And don't expect to get any data. Because apparently you will need to re-install XP Pro or win2K to do anything except scrap them.

It is apparently either too rare, too hard, or just too stupid to find an alternate solution. I have been up and down that Intel site looking for files for my asus P4C800E-D mobo w/ 875P chipset & ICH5R (82801ER) SouthBridge (a quote from my post just a few back):

"Q> Will I ever read my data without going back in OS versions (not Vista)
The gist of Converting form a dynamic to basic disk (my only solution?):
1)delete all dynamic volumes (repeat for each volume)
2)convert dynamic disk to basic disk"

I could lead you places but you wouldn't like it because I think you need to be running in windows either XP(Pro version only) or win2K. Wanna go? I bought Vista HP full retail a week ago.

What were YOUR HDDs doing before this?

btw, how do you slipstream? Make your own copy of the OS disk, then add a file (is file placement location/ technique critical? as with say certain usable floppy boot disks DOS="Disk Operating System")

Last edited:
The Intel driver gave the same result, "cannot copy the file: iaStor.sys".

If I slip stream the install CD, how will it know to look there when it asks for 3rd party RAID drivers? Is there a tutorial somwhere?

those type of drivers ca be installed F6 type (bfore install) &/or after when running windows. That's why there is the floppy F6 type files too. But (I believe when in windows only) there is also the Intel chipset software installation utility. This needs to be done first before the iaaRAID/matrix is done. Though there are many links at Intel, if you get the main page or any related page it is easy enough to get tto the main page, and read all the vital info for each of them - easy enough to learn all you need from those pp. But you (& I) aren't in windows yet, so? I haven't found a Intel chipset software installation yet suitable for a pre-install floppy. Specifically pertaining to my IC5R (82801ER) there is the .zip version and a .exe version. The .zip readme says its wrong for some reason, but the .exe just tries to run on the pooter I dld it with (but stops thank god, its the wrong pooter, cuz this pooter doesn't meet the minimum req's).

Last edited:
maybe try a forum for your board. Then at least you'll gt links and names of the exact files needed, if thats what you need. check at GB.com and look for a support forum

For my pooter things to do:
update BIOS (includes bios up utility): 2 files
chipset software (I thought of it as the .inf file iirc)
raid/or SATA driver (iaar)
any LAN, SOUND or other drivers
AI booster upgrade (BIOS)

The BIOS 1st & last in the list, and the F6 verwsion of the iaa(R) I thought was the only pre-OS files to deal with. IMPORTANT:? If I do correctly remember it as an .inf, BUT JUST maybe that could fit on a floppy, for before the OS install!!! But I tried it!? Or didn't find the right one. I may have a diff prob anyway, but it could be it, though the info I gave you is verbatim. Try diskpart.exe at microsoft.com

I think that bout covers it besides installing the OS there may be a little other which may pop up at mobo homepage , then all the apps etc. in win. There was a USB, AGP needed stuff, and can't remember if that was part of the Intel Chipset Software Installation &/or another. The one that you (& poss I) would need to go on a floppy at this point

I do have another Promise FastTrsk (133 RAID) controller I have left out cuz i never need it

can't remember now the order. Used to be able to count it down backwards. It may change

Last edited:
Yes it does have a 2nd SATA controller (for adding rear eSATA ports) and it is only enabled in IDE so not messing up the RAID.

I've read up on the nLite slipstreaming method and will give it a try.

With the Intel RAID drivers on the new CD do I still hit F6 during the install and it finds them on the CD or does it add them automatically?

Thanks

If they are slipstreamed it should auto load them.
Just curious but does the iastor file have a .sys extension? In other words does the file read iastor.sys on the floppy? if not try and add the .sys to the file name and see if it works. I tried to make the floppy and could not get it to write. Hmm, it did write but cannot be read in my computer probably because it is an AMD machine.

Last edited:
Also, try another floppy, I had one that went bad on me.

You can try formatting (long format, not short) and then re-extracting to see if the problem persists.

Everything went well, FINALLY!

I downloaded and learned how to use nLite. It was easy to use and the tutorial was a breeze, if you encounter this same problem I highly recommend it.

I simply added the very same ICH9R drivers that I was trying to install from the floppy into the sliptstreamed XP Pro CD. There was no need to press F6 as the correct drivers were loaded automagically. I knew it wasn't something that I was doing incorrectly (at least not this time anyways). ;) nLite also allowed me to eliminate a lot of add-on grunch (i.e. "crapware") from the OS install.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can return the favor soon.

nLite is the BOMB!

Too bad MS's greedy butt took down Autopatcher.com :mad: . It was a killer addition...

:cool:

Back