• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bye, AMD FASN8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Someone get his bong :D

Somewhere I saw wahoo pop up but it looked like a platform. I have trouble believing that it was totally canceled forever. Engineers will continue to work on it because they can. At some point we may see a comeback. Phenom is a great chip except for the Russian Roulette that you have to play with the early chips. Performance internally is great when you run apps that take advantage of the reccomended codeing practices put forth by AMD (stuff we developers should be doing anyway).

BTW, I'm not sure why your sig says Dallas, Tx but you mentioned the Eastern timezone but maybe the call came from the New York :sn:

True that. at stock those phenoms are scoring not THAT far under my 3.2ghz Q6600. If AMD would have been able to make the process better for launch, it would have been a whole nother ball game.

cause i was stoned and should have said CST.... LOL, was no other reason, i'm in dallas and he's in Austin

Rats, I was hoping he was in New York getting ready for a new 32nm Fab there.

I was sitting in an office listening to a guy telling me about Intel releasing new chips next month that will push AMD so far into the dirt that it would be over. What he is talking about is the Penryns. True they will open that wound a little more, the speed bump will be a winner but not per clock for clock. Results on the Xeons showed a very slight drop in performance. It's more about the speed they can run. AMD is shifting more into the low wattage sector while moving forward with 45nm. Now if they get it together by Summer and release some chips then look for a better XMas next year. Having a DS rigs then might be the ticket.

Last edited:
I did not mention latencies in my post. My perspective was from an energy consumption standpoint. The NVidia chipset ran hot, consumed a lot of energy and from reports I have seen, was a bit of a dog when it came to performance.

You wrote inneficient, which has a lot to do with performance, and the latency was the reason why it performed worse than even one way rigs as long only one cpu was used.

Not that it really matters as it was made for the enthusiasts who run like 120-140W processors these days unlikely a hot chipset would turn them down had it perform on par with a one way systems they would have bought it just for kicks,
A new chipset could be used with it if that would have been all what's wrong with it.
But no new chipset can fix the higher latency and now even 4 cores are hardly used would look quite bad that a dual quad gets beaten by a X2 6400+, so they pulled it.

Ooh, Molester is getting warm and fuzzy again, reminds me of when he was getting warm and fuzzy over QuadFX and K10!

Dude, sorry if I don't buy your AMD hype... need I remind you of this thread? LOL

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=471677

Now let's talk 4x4. While latest news has left me a little disappointed, I'm still optimistic, as this is what I really want. 4x4 offers the enthusiast two sockets for, from the start, two dual-cores. Later they will offer quad-cores. Why is this worth it over going s1207 Opteron? First, it will allow you to use unbuffered ram, which is generally cheaper, lower latency, and many more options. Second, there will be more options on motherboards. Most, if not all, enthusiast motherboard makers have given praise to the platform, and will be making boards. This means not only better competition for better prices, but also better overclocking potential. 4x4 is also good due to AMD's Direct Connect technology over Hypertransport(HT) lanes. This will allow the sharing of each cpu's cache and memory. This alone will improve games, which are generally gpu bottlenecked, add to that more processing power for background programs, and the fact games are becoming multi-threaded. Intel just dosn't, and can't for that matter, have anything to compare. This is due out by the end of the year as well. All these we are to assume will benefit s1207 Opterons as well.

Now let's talk K8L. K8L is supposed to be AMD's new architecture. Let's not get into what's considered new architecture, we all know both companies are really just improving on their P3 and K6 architectures. What we are considering are major jumps in technology. K8L will add another set of instructions, fpu, ipc improvements, more HT links, updated Direct Connect, shared L3, and many other things. While nothing can be set in stone, if you don't believe it won't AT LEAST compete with Core2Duo, then you really are an Intel fanboy. And remember, this less than one year after Core2Duo's release, not the three years we had to wait on Core2Duo after K8's release. K8L will be on socket AM2, and of course, 4x4. It is also going to be the architecture when socket AM3 releases. Any cpu released on AM3 will work on socket AM2, as has been stated by AMD. K8L will be native quad-core, and won't have the possibility of bottlenecking from front-side bus(FSB) due to it's integrated memory controller(IMC). Not to mention when you have two quad-cores on 4x4, or up to eight quad-cores on s1207 Opterons.

Classic man, classic predictions. I especially like the part where you accuse anyone who didn't think K8L (aka K10) would AT LEAST compete with Core 2 as being an 'Intel fanboy'. :D

As always, I'm sticking to the mantra of 'I'll believe it when I see it'. Especially in the context of AMD and their much touted 'performance claims'.

PS. What did happen to your planned QuadFX purchase? It appears you had it all planned out, and yet, here we are, 1.5 years later, and you're still on the XP-M?! Gotta hand it to ya, I tried staying on my old XP-M rig for as long as I could, but the lack of decent AGP GPUs and CPU bottlenecking in games was the final straw for me.

Last edited:
Bottlenecking is a political word in technology. Getting CPUs and GFX cards to run at the same speed is a fallacy. You will never achieve that Nirvana as even a Penryn is going to "bottleneck" a GFX card. Somewhere in every system one part or the other will be holding back another. Let's face it, if the software was written right then this issue would be moot. The problem is we have a large base of code running that is to valuable to replace and PC game companies are hanging on by their arseoles against the boxxes and not cell phone Now were talking the "pony bottle".

"I was an Intel fanboy once, you have a problem with that" :D

well, QuadFX did come, and most of what I said was true, clock for clock K10 can keep up with C2Q (even yorkfield) in most apps, wins in others, and loses in others

about the only wrong prediction i made was more mobo manuf. making 4x4 boards, that and K8L is K10, if there's anything else wrong with what you quoted me on please point them out

i wasn't trying to hype anything, i was simply stating what i knew about the platform/k10 based on info at the time

but of course I didn't buy that heater of a platform, those 2 680a nvidia chipsets attracted me none at all, that and my own financial situation, and still working on a way to change my SS into a water chiller....

i'm just trying to inform, someone else said it best.... It's not that I love AMD, I just hate Intel... but you won't see me post FUD about Intel, as I try not to post FUD on AMD

That conversation with my friend who is an AMD employee is real, and I passed it on with the statement to take it for what it's worth, and asked not to flame, and yet here I am responding to just that

Please, lets not turn this into Anandtech. AMD has a lot of issues and if people think their intels are better than I can live with that (in the intel threads) lets just stay on topic with what has not and what will become of DSFX.

I suspect if AMD kept pumping silly money into enthusiast CPUs to satisfy one niche of the market there soon wouldn't 'be' an AMD at all.

If they do better in the future (big if) we might see them re-emerge in the enthusiast market. Until then it looks like Intel are going to have a fun pricing scheme in that area...

We could always go back to the days of the Durons, first Cellys etc. Rather than fork out big money for the fastest and best get some crazy speeds out of cheap chips (anyone remember those Durons rated at 600MHz that did 1GHz...?).

In my opinion, those days are still here, the current price wars could be a boon for overclockers, but I think much of the community has moved upscale.

You could buy an X2 4000+ or a Pentium Dual Core chip for less than $75, and overclocked to their max speeds have a system faster than almost all stock machines on the market (especially with the Pentium). However it seems that most overclockers would rather pay 2-4 times as much for the extra cache or extra cores, or extra 300Mhz offered by higher end chips even if the performance gain wouldn't be noticeable.

While the Durons and Cellys overclocked extremely well, a more expensive Athlon or PIII would still outperform it when overclocked. I think overclockers in that time span were more oriented towards price/performance ratio than absolute performance as they are now.

well, QuadFX did come, and most of what I said was true, clock for clock K10 can keep up with C2Q (even yorkfield) in most apps, wins in others, and loses in others

about the only wrong prediction i made was more mobo manuf. making 4x4 boards, that and K8L is K10, if there's anything else wrong with what you quoted me on please point them out

i wasn't trying to hype anything, i was simply stating what i knew about the platform/k10 based on info at the time

but of course I didn't buy that heater of a platform, those 2 680a nvidia chipsets attracted me none at all, that and my own financial situation, and still working on a way to change my SS into a water chiller....

i'm just trying to inform, someone else said it best.... It's not that I love AMD, I just hate Intel... but you won't see me post FUD about Intel, as I try not to post FUD on AMD

That conversation with my friend who is an AMD employee is real, and I passed it on with the statement to take it for what it's worth, and asked not to flame, and yet here I am responding to just that

In the face of all the reviews, are you seriously claiming K10 'keeps up' with C2Q clock for clock? There is a 10% deficit with Kentsfield, 15% with Yorkfield. I guess we have a different definition of 'keeps up'. Each to their own.

Dude, face the facts, you FUBARed your predictions. I could go through them one by one but I'd rather not...

All I am saying is 'I will believe it when I see it', looking at AMD's current plight. I don't mean any offence to you or your friend at AMD, I'm sure he means well. I'm just amused you're in the warm and fuzzy mode again, this whole 'FASN8' shebang just reminded me of the time you were getting excited over QuadFX and all it's 'benefits', and we all know how that turned out. ;)

AMD shares now down by $9.05 as of today and still decreasing. Anyone going to buy when they get into the $8's?

Back