• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updated BIOS Overclock needs more vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

So weird thing happened when I updated the bios on my motherboard. I used to be able to get a stable 4.3ghz overclock just by changing the vcore to 1.180v. Now it seems to need at least 1.220v. Anything less and it will boot but instantly crash once I run prime.

I should have wrote down my overclock settings before updating. Now I can't remember what I had them set at or what other settings I had set. Can anyone take a look at my BIOS and give me some overclock tips? I don't really want to flash back to an older bios.

Edit: Alright so I flashed bios version 1.50 back and it requires less voltage to overclock again. There didn't seem to be a difference between 1.50 and below, but anything above it seems to require more voltage. So I'll just leave it on 1.50 from now on.

Last edited:
1.8v? That would kill that CPU... and 2.2 would DEFINITELY do it. You may want to post those up again, accuraetly. :p

Sometimes a different BIOS will need more or less voltage. It looks like everything is set to stock there. Othere than setting your ram higher to 1.5-1.55v i don't think anyone can really give you some hints other than going through the whole overclocking stage again. Actually you could just set everything to stock numbers instead of auto as auto will increase and decrease voltages. The only one that you probably don't want to set is the cpu vcore, use offset instead if you want power saving. If you're trying to hit 1.180 for cpu life expectancy, i really doubt 1.220 will make a difference.

Hey I got a question..... i got I7 2600 not "K" can i overclock him??..... how much??... and how???...................TY :)

cpu:Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (s 1155, Z77, DDR3)
video card:MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC (PCI Express x 16 3.0, 2 GB, GDDR5)
hdd: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD 3.5" (64MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata 6Gb/s)
psu: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850W (CP-9020043-EU)
cpu cooler: Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling Kit
case: AEROCOOL XPREDATOR X3 WHITE EDITION

You will want to start your own thread to get help for you.
That said, it can overclock but only using bclk and the turbo multipliers so you will be quite limited.
Hey I got a question..... i got I7 2600 not "K" can i overclock him??..... how much??... and how???...................TY :)

cpu:Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (s 1155, Z77, DDR3)
video card:MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC (PCI Express x 16 3.0, 2 GB, GDDR5)
hdd: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD 3.5" (64MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata 6Gb/s)
psu: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850W (CP-9020043-EU)
cpu cooler: Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling Kit
case: AEROCOOL XPREDATOR X3 WHITE EDITION

i had a similar experience a few months back
i have a ASUS mobo and upgraded BIOS, suddenly clock unstable and need more Vcore.

flashing back the old bios immediately fixes the issue
i have since concluded that updating BIOS is not always the best idea.

Sometimes a different BIOS will need more or less voltage. It looks like everything is set to stock there. Othere than setting your ram higher to 1.5-1.55v i don't think anyone can really give you some hints other than going through the whole overclocking stage again. Actually you could just set everything to stock numbers instead of auto as auto will increase and decrease voltages. The only one that you probably don't want to set is the cpu vcore, use offset instead if you want power saving. If you're trying to hit 1.180 for cpu life expectancy, i really doubt 1.220 will make a difference.

Ya I figured it might not make a huge difference.

What I ended up doing was just leaving it on auto with speedstep on and the multiplier set to 4.3ghz. It seems to remain at 4.3ghz but when in idol the voltage goes down to as much as 1.008v and up to a steady 2.220v or so under load.

It's stable so I'll just leave it the way it is now.

i can confirm this phenomenon as well.
quite often, BIOS versions will be better in one area but weaker in another.
from the ROG forum, I have got the follow post on Rampage IV extreme's BIOS

1101 - best for OC
12XX
13XX - literally bombed to hell by all users for requiring more Vcore
1404 - generally well received, lower Vcore, stable.
3301 - jumped to WIN8 compatible but reviews mixed.

Back