• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer shuts down after EXACTLY 60 minutes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrJosephBell

Registered
i havent found many other posts about this, maybe im looking in the wrong places, but the one post i did read said something about a problem with the hard drive, but i couldnt understand what it said exactly.

has anyone experienced this?

Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 B55
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 880GM-E43 (MS-7596) (CPU1) 33 °C
Graphics
HF225 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Acer P186H (1366x768@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 56 °C
Hard Drives
60GB M4-CT064M4SSD2 ATA Device (SSD)
466GB Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Perhaps go into control panel -> power options and look around to see if you can spot anything. Does it completely turn off or does it sleep? There might be something there that isn't working correctly with your bios settings even if you're using the computer.

My next thought would be some sort of virus or program running to shut down your computer in exactly 60 minutes. I have a hard time to believe that hardware would cause your computer to specifically time when to shutdown, unless there was some extremely rare problem that you had.

its not a virus i can locate. ive run every detection program and scanner ive got.

its not in the bios, ive been through there more times than i can count and nothing has changed since the day i built this rig almost 2 years ago.

After EXACTLY 60 the machine freezes, it then shuts down and attempts to reboot, it begins the load sequence and then goes black and these words appear...

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

again, the bios and boot sequence is as it should be and has not been changed... this issue quite literally happened over night which is why i now believe it could be a hardware problem.

Could be a watchdog timer left enabled, but 1 hour is an unusually long timeout for that and watchdogs are rarely found on desktop boards.

Try booting Knoppix and leaving it on for more than an hour to confirm that it's not a hardware or BIOS issue.

also... java is trying to update everytime it reboots. no matter how many times i install it

Could be a watchdog timer left enabled, but 1 hour is an unusually long timeout for that and watchdogs are rarely found on desktop boards.

Try booting Knoppix and leaving it on for more than an hour to confirm that it's not a hardware or BIOS issue.

Agreed with NiHaoMike,

Boot into a live CD of linux (knoppix, ubuntu, etc) and just leave it on. If it stays on longer than an hour it is a problem with your OS. If it doesn't then it is likely a physical issue.

Back