• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

update BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well your trying to update your BIOS right? You cant do it in Windows so your going to have to do it in DOS. LOOK HERE for detailed instructions on how to do it properly.

It means that you have to use AWDFLASH version 8.14 (35,294 bytes in file size). To flash your bios. If you use a different ver. of AWDFLASH then you can cause your board to not be bootable:( Good Luck!

I've attempted updating the BIOS, and I do not think it has worked. The file I downloaded was version 84 i think, with 7h before that, and apparently what I still have is 6.00 PG according to SiSoft Sandra, WCPUID, and the boot up screen. My computer functions correctly so i didn't toast the BIOS, but there is some interesting stuff that some of you mind be able to translate. First of all, when flashing the BIOS, it updates in sections, and two of the sections get "no update". Secondly, when the flashing is finished, I clear the CMOS like the mobo instructs me to do, and upon restart, there's a Checksum error. I have no clue what that means. I'm given the option of proceeding (F1) or some other option i didn't observe, and when I proceed Windows boots up fine. Someone please help me. Do I need to update sequentially? Or is it possible to just jump from what came with the mobo to the latest BIOS?

Well your suppose to look at the bottom of the screen to confirm which BIOS you are using not the top which will always show 6.00PG & when using Sandra you will need to be able to read the info properly. Updating the BIOS does not go sequentially. Please list down the steps you took when you flashed your BIOS so we can better understand what the problem is.

Last edited:
1. download the .exe file from abit's website.
2. expand it
3. create a boot disk, and then copy the expanded files to that floppy.
4. reboot computer with floppy in the drive
5. execute the "runme" batch file (gives you text warnings about what you're about to do)
6. save old BIOS
7. flash new BIOS
8. shut down computer
9. Clear CMOS (according to instructions in the mobo manual)
10. Reboot
11. Witness "CMOS Checksum Error" message during boot up, continue anyway, computer functions correctly.

I'll reboot and check the bottom of the screen this time.

It sounds as though you did it exactly right. I get the same error message everytime I clear my CMOS. You need to go into your BIOS settings, and set the CPU to its correct setting, rather than the default one it is assigned. And also do the usual stuff, like enable fastwrites, change the first boot device from A: to the harddrive, though that is personal preference.

yes, unfortunately, my BIOS is updated correctly. I say this because I was hoping that it wasn't and a new BIOS would show 10 degree less CPU temp fix. But apparently everything is ok, and my cooling is just not as good as I thought it would be. I guess there's a price to pay for low noise.

Back