• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cold_PhyrE

Registered
I apologize in advace if this is in the wrong thread (or bbs for that matter)

Im planning on getting a new laptop for school and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on brand etc.

I need something somewhat light, NOT centrino tho it doesnt fit into the buget (about 2k cnd). anything under 7 lbs is acceptable

Probably wanna go for a 3.06 although i dont see many AMD laptops on the market. deff need 512 pc2700, CD-RW, built in wireless would be nice, decent display, and a 40g HDD.

My main concern is brand. ive had bad experience with acer and compaq laptops already. Dells are pretty cheap and I get a free 3 year warenty and a leather carring case cuz of where i work (w00t) but it doesnt mean that much to me lol. my GF has a vaio which is working nice for her and i hear toshibas are nice as well

thanks for any feedback!

If you actually want to get a laptop for use on the road, you definatly want it to have a mobile processor. The best one around with be the pentium - m (not pentium 4 -m or pentium 4), and the xp-m is decent too. There was a mobile version of the A64 released in january, and it uses quite a bit less power then the desktop replacement model, still uss more then a pentium - m though.

If you want a low-power laptop, look for one based on the Transmeta Crusoe, Via C3, or, as dropadrop suggested, the Pentium-M (Banias, part of centrino technology).

In general, emachines doesnt tend to make very high-quality systems. Is this laptop any different? Or will it fall apart after a year or so?

I've mostly heard good things about the e-machines A64 laptop, but ofcourse it's too early to say anything about support or long-term quality of the build. I'd like to get a laptop based on the A64, but as far as I've understood, all A64 laptops are still based on the desktop replacement processor.

This might not be an issue for all, but personally I'd say getting 30-50% longer battery lifetime would be alot more important for me then having a bit more power. (the e-machines battery should last about 2 1/2 hours under use)

yeah I like the ones at directpc too thanks for the link.

Now i do want something light but i still want it to pack a punch. Im probably trying to have my cake and eat it too here.

Does anyone have any experience with dell? I can get a 3.2 HT, 512 ddr333, cd-rw, built in wireless, 64 mb video card, 3 months free internet, for just under 2400 + free shipping. Only main problem is that its 8 lbs and 1.8 inches think and I would have to lug it around school.

For about the same price i can get all the same features but its a widescreen 1.7M and its only about 4 1/2 lbs and 1/2 inch thinner.

Im still kinda new to the new laptops. Is a P-M 1.7 = a P4 1.7 speed wise? If thats the case I would rather get twice the speed at half the battery life

again do dells suck? mind you I also get a free 3 year warenty with them, but support is not a big factor in my decision

thanks again

Back