• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive caugth fire and still working!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mangas

Registered
Hello there
The strangest thing happen to one drive that ive just bought (second hand)Seagate SATA ST3120026A Barracuda 120GB, when I plug it in to the pc the computer dinted turn on at all after several tries it turn on but next minute when I look there was a little fire coming out from the bottom of the drive, ive turn the computer off and toke the drive out, then I notice a little tiny chip or what that was looked totaly toasted, I pick it out clean the drive on the spot where the chip was then guess what? ive plug it back and it was still working!!! I installed the OS in it and is still working fine!!!
Did this ever happen to anyone?

Oh yes, it's normal for drives to catch on fire the first time they are powered up. It has happened to me serveral times. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, no I've never heard of this happening. Could you please post some pictures of the "toasted chip" on the bottom of the drive?

Im think is the one that ive marked with the red circle, I got this picture on the net, is the same model as the one that I got, later on at home I will make sure if that was the one that burn if not I will rectify and post it again.
The real one that burn is in the bin already so no chance of taking picture there...

KillrBuckeye said:
The drive in the picture looks like a SATA drive to me. Your HDD is IDE interface, right?
Nope, its SATA got 2 of those!
Ive put the worong model number not ST3120026A but ST3120026AS

Last edited:
You didn't by chance connect both the SATA power connector and the regular 4-pin molex, did you? Only one should be hooked up.

Ive had a hdd pcb catch fire but not work again.... lucky b**tard :mad:

edit: I only lost a 20 gb pata drive though.

Fortuantely I have never set fire to anything in my computer .........yet. I did see a friends computer once that had the cpu itself hae a large bubble on it that formed when he said the computer was making a noise.

KillrBuckeye said:
You didn't by chance connect both the SATA power connector and the regular 4-pin molex, did you? Only one should be hooked up.
Only SATA even if I wanted to connect a regular 4-pin molex, Its impossible it doesnt have a regular 4-pin molex!!
Im installing everything, as soon ive got the web cam plug to it I will take a picture a posted for everyone see and tell me what the hell that was that bunt.

Id totally return it though and get a newone.. or at least not use it in a system you have running 24/7 unless if you are after home insurance.

Mangas said:
Only SATA even if I wanted to connect a regular 4-pin molex, Its impossible it doesnt have a regular 4-pin molex!!
Im installing everything, as soon ive got the web cam plug to it I will take a picture a posted for everyone see and tell me what the hell that was that bunt.

Many SATA drive do/did come with both power connectors, that's why we asked.

i had the same thing!!
probably same hdd too
120 or 160gb sata hdd

caught on fire.. but i was on a sata card on a duron 1800
didnt work afterwards :(

Nice.. Suprised it is still working though.

Then again I basically fried the ram in a computer once and it is still working 4 years later. But the board only lasted 1.5 years after that happened and a ram regulator bit the dust with a nice little flame for its fuenral.

Back